Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hertz Coax or DD Pro Audio

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 09:42 AM
joeyvaz
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hertz Coax or DD Pro Audio

I'm torn between a full DD Pro Audio setup or Hertz Coax in my 2018 Road King Special. I will be using 6.5" in lowers, 6x9 in lids, and 8" in each bag. Bullet tweeters if I go the Pro Audio route. Not looking to compete, but just want loud, clean sound, with decent mid-bass. All will be running off 2 amps and a DD DSP regardless of which route I take. No idea how I'll be mounting my front bullet tweeters. So that may be the determining factor. But I was wondering if others with more experience in bike audio have run into this dilemma, course of action, etc.

One last option would be all DD in the bags and lids with a bullet tweeter in in each and use some Hertz coax 6.5" up front to facilitate the install since I have no real way to mount bullet tweeters on a Road King Special.

Thanks!!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:23 AM
DLennartz
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If you decide to go with Hertz go can go with one of their component sets like I did, allowing me to aim the tweeters straight at my listening position. Just another option.

The following 2 users liked this post by DLennartz:
arlington (12-03-2018), joeyvaz (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Im curious as to why you would only limit yourself to DD if your open to the option of a Pro Audio set-up?

Old 12-03-2018, 10:27 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I'd go all pro audio especially if you want to hear sound from the lowers. Add horns to your grills or make a make a mount below the speaker pod, then also add a horn on your lid. Not a huge fan of the DD 6.5's or 8's, there's better out there but the upside is they are marine treated.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:31 AM
joeyvaz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by yooperhog
Im curious as to why you would only limit yourself to DD if your open to the option of a Pro Audio set-up?
Great question. Only because I have a friend who can get me smoking deals on DD products. PRV was also a consideration, but I've read they need a lot more mid-bass to back them up, whereas DD have really good mid-bass on their own. Again, not looking to compete or even do a 10" in each bag. Being a road king, I have no fairing so amps are going in the bags along with the 8s. Not looking to do a tour back that has to stay on the bike 24/7. That would defeat the purpose of a Road King-in my opinion.

What other pro audio set up would you recommend?

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2018, 10:38 AM
joeyvaz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by haze324
I'd go all pro audio especially if you want to hear sound from the lowers. Add horns to your grills or make a make a mount below the speaker pod, then also add a horn on your lid. Not a huge fan of the DD 6.5's or 8's, there's better out there but the upside is they are marine treated.
The 6.5" grills? I tried that, but they would have to stick way out so as not to hit the speaker when it is playing. I was trying to either purchase or fab up a mount for the bullet tweeters below the 6.5" pods, but wasn't looking right in my opinion. Not to mention I have a size 14 boot and with my brake and shifter levers extended. So I was getting cramped when fabbing up something under the speaker pod. In an emergency situation I wouldn't want my feet not being able to downshift or brake immediately (like hitting a tweeter before getting to the brake)

***Horn on the speaker lid is definitely happening. Just need to figure out the front mount for the bullet tweeter.

Last edited by joeyvaz; 12-03-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:23 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

i also would go pro audio if i was you. you should come down here a bit and check out some of the stuff Alex and I have. I'm in Delray and Alex is just a bit further south. He has LOTS of stuff that would work for you.
m

Old 12-04-2018, 07:45 PM
joeyvaz
Cruiser

I wound up ordering the following:

MMats PA601 for lowers
DD VO 6x9 for lids
GroundZero GZCK 200SPL 8" for bags
(4) DD B3 bullet tweeters (still trying to figure out a mount for fronts)
DD DSI-2 DSP
(2) Soundigital 800.4

I've never used so many different brands on one install. I've always used same product lines for home and car audio, but I tried to use what I read was best for each of the locations on a bike (within my budget, hole size, end game, etc.) So hopefully it all blends well and sounds good with decent midbass. I'm sure it will sound better than my current setup ( Infinity Kappa 6.5, Kappa 6x9, DD VO-M8, and NVX 5 channel amp)
I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks to those that chimed in on this thread and all the other valuable information on this site.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:38 AM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

deinately keep us posted!!!

The following users liked this post:
joeyvaz (12-05-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 01:19 PM
joeyvaz
Cruiser

Most of the equiment is in. Still waiting on 6.5s and some grills to hopefully modify and mount front B3.

Quick Reply: Hertz Coax or DD Pro Audio