Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues post Amp/Speaker Install -- looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:54 AM
Delzore
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Issues post Amp/Speaker Install -- looking for advice

So I wrapped up my setup last night, all but setting crossover (amp currently just in full pass mode). Used the multimeter to monitor AC with head unit at 3/4 volume, to hit target voltage using 1khz tone.. so I think I am good there.. Did front channels then rear channels. Heard test note through all speakers.

Setup: mmat md4110 amp, 4 of their 601cx speakers...

It is sounding great, but I don't have any fader control. In fact take the fade to the complete rear and you hear nothing. with fader in the center of bike, hear front speakers perfectly, and if you put your ear up the rear speakers you *can* hear that they are playing, just very faint.

My plans:
1st - read that I could reset the head unit to factory. As this is already an ultra model it should be set at 4 speakers 0 amp.
Hopefully that fixes things?

otherwise, time to troubleshoot. Since I know front channels work, going to take the output from the amp for front speakers and connect up to rear speakers to make sure the wiring from the front to the back is OK.

Since I know front speakers are good, going to take the rear channel amp output and run to front speakers.

I am assuming both of those should be good, but does not hurt to check. If the front speakers on rear amp output is bad, then I need to vet the signals coming through amp are ok..

So, again since front works good, route the front channel outputs from bt leveler in to the rear amp flow to double check rear channel passing through amp is ok.
Repeat using rear channel through front channel..

Then do same to isolate levelers..

So the question I have, is if all of this checks ok, where do I go from there? get a flash from the dealership to go with 4 speakers and and amp??

Many thanks in Advance!

Old 05-17-2019, 11:24 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I would start with simple -
Check you have + - correct on rear speakers
then switching front & rear speakers jacks to see what you get
The fact you set the gains with an Amp probe and got your target voltage makes me think you are good coming from the amp

Old 05-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Delzore
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JMC22
I would start with simple -
Check you have + - correct on rear speakers
then switching front & rear speakers jacks to see what you get
The fact you set the gains with an Amp probe and got your target voltage makes me think you are good coming from the amp

Thanks! I had not thought I could have had the terminals on the wrong way at the rear speakers.. I know I plugged them in the same way....

Chris

Old 05-19-2019, 05:03 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,163 Likes on 2,936 Posts

What year bike, head unit and amp? Did you run 4 channels from the head unit to all 4 amp channel inputs? Did you just use 2 channel inputs? Are the switches on the amp for 2 and 4 channels?

It's all in the details.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:08 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Delzore
So I wrapped up my setup last night, all but setting crossover (amp currently just in full pass mode). Used the multimeter to monitor AC with head unit at 3/4 volume, to hit target voltage using 1khz tone.. so I think I am good there.. Did front channels then rear channels. Heard test note through all speakers.

Setup: mmat md4110 amp, 4 of their 601cx speakers...

It is sounding great, but I don't have any fader control. In fact take the fade to the complete rear and you hear nothing. with fader in the center of bike, hear front speakers perfectly, and if you put your ear up the rear speakers you *can* hear that they are playing, just very faint.

My plans:
1st - read that I could reset the head unit to factory. As this is already an ultra model it should be set at 4 speakers 0 amp.
Hopefully that fixes things?

otherwise, time to troubleshoot. Since I know front channels work, going to take the output from the amp for front speakers and connect up to rear speakers to make sure the wiring from the front to the back is OK.

Since I know front speakers are good, going to take the rear channel amp output and run to front speakers.

I am assuming both of those should be good, but does not hurt to check. If the front speakers on rear amp output is bad, then I need to vet the signals coming through amp are ok..

So, again since front works good, route the front channel outputs from bt leveler in to the rear amp flow to double check rear channel passing through amp is ok.
Repeat using rear channel through front channel..

Then do same to isolate levelers..

So the question I have, is if all of this checks ok, where do I go from there? get a flash from the dealership to go with 4 speakers and and amp??

Many thanks in Advance!
Just to clarify, are u using the BT Break Out Harness specific to ur model & year sled?

T

Old 05-21-2019, 09:29 PM
Delzore
Cruiser

Yes. Also just found that the switch on the amp to go from two to four channel somehow got flipped during install to 2 channel. Explains all the symptoms...