Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios

Note: If you are looking at this thread because you are experiencing problems with your HK radio, the information below may help. However, because the special diagnostic tools often required to identify the specific cause of the problem are generally not available except at dealerships, and because of the very limited ability of a dealer's service department to actually repair the radio, you may give strong consideration to contacting Iron Cross Audio for diagnostic and repair services. The various problems with the HK that they have been able to fix and their contact information is in this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...dio-in-nj.html.

Harman Kardon “Radio Diagnostics”
The primary purpose of this thread is to share information on the self-diagnostic tools available from the Harman Kardon (HK) radio in your ’06 or newer fairing model bike. It will describe how to operate the radio to display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC’s), list the DTC’s, and list the “Symptoms” (e.g. AVC not working) for which there is no trouble code. The information is from HD’s 2010 Electrical Diagnostic Manual (EDM) and is far from being a substitute for the EDM. The EDM takes 55 or so pages to describe “Radio Diagnostics” and includes testing tools and protocols specific to HK. Also, there are differences between model years for the EDM dealing with the HK and I haven’t undertaken a year-by-year comparison to identify them. This thread isn’t intended to describe the “cure” for HK issues that may show-up as DTC’s or Symptoms.” For that you'll need the EDM.

The procedure for entering the diagnostic mode of your HK radio is the same for all years, however, as are many of the DTC’s (I did a quick comparison of a few years) and symptoms.

How to access the radio’s diagnostic display:

1. Press the eject button and remove any CD.
2. Press and hold any two softkeys (numbered buttons 1-6) then turn the ignition switch to ON.
3. Once the H-D logo is displayed, the radio’s software does a complete switch check, scans for current DTC’s, and then displays the radio diagnostic display.
4. Release the sofkeys ONLY after the radio diagnostic display appears.
5. If there are shorted switches, the display will show a DTC and brief description of the source/cause of the problem.
6. If there are no shorted switches (or other DTC’s) the radio display will read “Diag Test” and allow several functions, e.g. checking the switches, checking the software version, etc.
· If a switch is functioning properly, the display shows the switch name and “OK.”
· Verify that the switch you are checking is the switch identified in the display. Because of the switch wiring, the display may show “OK” but the switch identified in the display may not be the one you are testing, so you need to verify.

DTC’s DESCRIPTION

B0563 Battery voltage high
B2006 Radio switch stuck or open
B2007 Handlebar switch shorted high
B2008 Handlebar switch shorted low
B2009 Handlebar switch stuck or open
B2010 Passenger switch shorted high
B2011 Passenger switch shorted low
B2012 Passenger switch stuck or open
B2016 Front speakers shorted
B2017 Front speakers open (but see Note at bottom of thread if you've installed an amplifier.)
B2018 Front speakers shorted to ground
B2019 Front speakers shorted to battery
B2020 Rear speakers shorted
B2021 Rear Speakers open
B2022 Rear speakers shorted
B2023 Rear speakers shorted to battery

U1016 J1850 lost communications (comm.) with ECM
U1300 J1850 bus shorted low
U1301 J1850 bus shorted high
U1302 Infotainment bus off error
U1304 Infotainment bus lost comm. with future
U1305 Same as U1304
U1306 Infotainment lost comm.with hands-free phone module
U1307 Infotainment lost comm. with CB
U1308-U1312 Infotainment bus lost comm. with future
U1313 Infotainment bus lost comm. with navigation
U1314 Infotainment bus lost comm. with navigation
U1315-1316 Infotainment bus lost comm. with future
U1317 Infotainment bus lost comm. with high output amplifier

SYMPTOM DESCRIPTION

1 Radio Inoperative
2 Poor or No Reception
3 Static Present with Engine Running
4 CB Transmitter inoperative and SWR Adjustment
5 CB Receiver Inoperative
6 Intercom Inoperative
7 Handheld Microphone/PTT Inoperative
8 Speaker Switch Malfunction
9 Headset Speakers Inoperative
10 No or Low Audio From Microphone
11 No or Low Audio with High Output Amplifier
12 No or Low Audio From XM or XM Inoperative
13 XM – No or intermittent Reception
14 Navigation Inoperative
15 AVC Inoperative
16 Handlebar, passenger or sidecar switches inoperative
17 CD skipping
18 Hands-free Phone Module Inoperative
No or low audio to hands-free phone module

For the various DTC’s there are specific test protocols in the EDM; the same goes for the “Symptoms.” Consult the EDM for your model year for more detailed information. My local dealer’s service department has always been willing to allow me to consult their “library” of Service Manuals, EDM’s, and parts books which has been great since I have an ’04 police model EG, ’06 SG rear fender fascia/LED, ’08 brakes, ’09 Harmon Kardon, etc.—I call my bike “the Mutt.”

As an example of changes in the EDM from model year to model year, Symptom 4 in the 2006 and 2007 EDM's was "CD won't eject." The 2006 EDM simply says to replace the radio if this symptom appears. The 2007 EDM says to pull the maxi fuse, wait five minutes, then try the radio. If it still doesn't operate, replace the radio. The 2010 EDM doesn't include "CD won't eject" as a symptom. So, symptoms do change from year to year though many remain the same.

As an example of the procedure for testing/correcting a symptom, symptom 15 is "AVC inoperative." The EDM's appear to be the same for this symptom, at least the several I checked, and say: With the radio on an FM station, press soft key 1, 2, and OK simultaneously. Then press the down arrow to display the speed type (J1850). If the display doesn't show J1850, press soft key 4 until the J1850 appears. Then press soft key 6 to store this setting. If the display initially showed J1850, you are referred to a further test. This example is not complete, but it gives you an idea of how the test/solution protocols work.

The EDM is copyrighted by HD. HDF is very strict about policing posts/threads that refer to vendors offering pdf versions of this and other HD copyrighted manuals. Please don't post information referring to such vendors in this thread.

Last point--I'm not a tech and don't pretend to be. I've simply reproduced here some of the information available to anyone with an EDM or access to one. A cold twelve pack of beer dropped off at closing time on Friday, or a couple of dozen doughnuts on a Saturday morning go a long way towards building good will at the dealership.

Note: According to PEZ at Hogtunes, if you have installed an amp, you may get a B2017 DTC because the speaker wires go to the amp, so the HK head unit doesn't show a load on the circuit causing the head unit software to throw the code. You can read about it on HT's website: http://www.hogtunes.com/techzone_fil...pen%20code.pdf I was happy to read this tech note on HT's website since I have the code but my radio/amp are playing fine.

Carl

Old 06-11-2010, 11:00 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harleypingman,
Great write up! I need to get that manual only one I don't have. Wonder if anyone knows where and electronic copy is.....hhmmmm? pm me if you do

Any way thanks I will keep this thread!

Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 PM
T-BO 399
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted

Old 06-14-2010, 05:12 PM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, great post and info.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:36 AM
ohiohusky
3rd Gear

My HK diagnostic says B2018 fl speaker open. No sound from any speakers. Please advise, as I am new to this and have no idea of what to do. Thanks in advance. 2006 Ultra Classic.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
faapilot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ohiohusky
My HK diagnostic says B2018 fl speaker open. No sound from any speakers. Please advise, as I am new to this and have no idea of what to do. Thanks in advance. 2006 Ultra Classic.
Check code legend above....speaker shorted to ground...
Did you check that already? Good place to start I'd say.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Hairy1
Novice

Sounds like the speaker took a dump, replace it

Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 PM
ohiohusky
3rd Gear
Default Speakers not working

Thanks, you were right. Quoted wrong code, was B2017. Have an appt with dealership next week, will post results. Thx again.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:57 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Pingman-- Don't need it now but kept for the future when I do. Note "when" not "if"...

Old 06-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Correia
Novice

Very, very useful information.Thank you.
Greetings from Rio de Janeiro

Joao Manuel

Quick Reply: Self-Diagnostics for Harman Kardon radios