Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
flash is ONLY required when adding amp or amps
Thank you. I assumed as much but in that first post there is mention that because of those new pods and due to the DSP there could be issues when doing speakers only. I'll just proceed and not worry about it.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:20 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by xbone
Soundcustomz advised me that I need to get the bike flashed from Harley before he completes the setup. He said with his experience that is the best sounding. I am going to go with 2 amps (Focal) and the KRC's up front and Focal speakers in the rear. He advised to tell them flash for 2 amps. Hope that helps.
Thanks xbone,taking the bike in on tuesday to get gas tank replaced and will have a flash done and see what happens,whats the worse that can happen,sound better.lol

Old 05-24-2014, 12:16 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

2014 Radio FLASH/The Real "Skinny"

The new Harley Infotainment radio on the 2014 Ultra & Ultra Limited, come from Harley with the front & rear speaker outputs active with front/rear fader control active ,,,,,,

The new Harley Infotainment radio on the 2014 StreetGlide, (either version) comes from Harley with ONLY the front speaker outputs active, and NO front/rear fader control ,,,,,,

If you add the Harley BOOM speakers and amplifier to either system, along with the dealer computer FLASH for the same, the REAR speaker outputs from the radio are deactivated, and the Harley BOOM amplifier itself becomes the front/rear fading component of the system, directed by the radio for front/rear fader controls ,,,,,

IN ADDITION, the DSP inside the Harley radio is altered, supposedly for better sound, when in fact, major portions of the low frequency bass response are removed, along with increases in the midrange and upper frequencies ,,,,,,

This DSP alteration does NOT improve the sound of the audio system at all ,, in fact just the opposite takes place with this special Harley radio digital flash ,,,,,,

For J&Ms new Daytona Blue 2014 StreetGlide we added J&Ms new 5X7" rear saddlebag lid speakers, http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ID=HSDR-5X7-14 and the 500w ROKKER XTP amplifier http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MP-500HC14-SGP ,,,,,,,

THEN we took the bike down to the Harley dealer and had the Harley computer FLASH performed JUST to activate the rear speaker outputs (no amp) ,,,, this particular flash from Harley retains the original superior sound and bass response from the radio, but activates the handlebar controls for front/rear fader ,,,,, system performance is now fantastic ,,,,

For J&Ms new Vivid Black 2014 Ultra Ltd, we added J&Ms 500w ROKKER XTP amplifier for the ultra ,,,,,,, see http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....MP-500HC14-ULP ,,,,

Last edited by JMJOHN; 05-24-2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: incorrect links
Old 05-24-2014, 12:41 PM
mduncan62
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JMJOHN. Those links don't work in your last post.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:51 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

thank you ,,,, fixing them now ,,,,,,

Old 05-24-2014, 10:21 PM
B BAD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm going to give J&M a chance what the hell! Only MONEY,

Ive been reading this thread for the past few days now because I am very interested in getting the best system I can for the money. I don't want to mix and match manufacturers speakers and apps I rather stay with one brand. I check out the YouTube videos from J&M and it seems to check out it looks good with easy install. I'm a new member on the Harley Davidson forum and I think I want to give J&M a chance so I'm going to try them out. One thing for sure and two things for certain I can't see Biketronics or focal being that much better. When I look up the price for the Amp BT 4180 it was less then $100 difference in price as the rocker 500. This is my first Harley and I was shocked at the prices because I've been riding sport bikes for over 20 years. I was told HD stand for HUNDRED DOLLARS and there's pretty much nothing you can buy for a Harley that's less then $500! So spend the money. What's the difference from the fortune that you guys already have invested in your bike. The only issue is the warranty that I can see. I ordered a brand-new 2014 street glide special it's due in Wednesday I will hook up the J&M system and I will let you guys know how everything works out. Crossing my fingers.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:35 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

B Bad ,,,,,,,,,

thank you for your loyalty to the J&M product line-up ,,,,,,,

During the install process ,,,, just let me know if I can be of service ,,,, john@jmcorp.com ,,,,,

Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I like John. He has always been very helpful to me and I wish you the best with your new bike and your new system but I noticed you didn't think the Focals or the Biketronics speakers could be that much better... have you taken the time to listen to them? J&M makes a great plug and play solution for the amp but Focal is one of the finest speaker manufacturers around for any application and Biketronics speaker manufacturer has won countless national sound competitions year after year. The J&M speakers are loud and they fit well on a motorcycle but musically and I'm speaking richness of sound... they are not in the same stratosphere. People don't rush out to get the latest JM speaker for their new car like they do for the HATs (Biketronics) and Focals. The 2ohm J&M speakers are limiting to me in a more elaborate setup too. The warranty issue is a big deal for most people and I suspect it is for J&M too because we have asked JMJohn many times in this very thread if he would offer a lifetime warranty and thus far haven't even been acknowledged. Lifetime
Warranty vs 2 years in the bumpy hot fairing of a Harley... you'll just have to make the call. I would suggest letting your ears make the decision and factor in the warranty before you make the final call. Good luck and safe riding!

Originally Posted by B BAD
Ive been reading this thread for the past few days now because I am very interested in getting the best system I can for the money. I don't want to mix and match manufacturers speakers and apps I rather stay with one brand. I check out the YouTube videos from J&M and it seems to check out it looks good with easy install. I'm a new member on the Harley Davidson forum and I think I want to give J&M a chance so I'm going to try them out. One thing for sure and two things for certain I can't see Biketronics or focal being that much better. When I look up the price for the Amp BT 4180 it was less then $100 difference in price as the rocker 500. This is my first Harley and I was shocked at the prices because I've been riding sport bikes for over 20 years. I was told HD stand for HUNDRED DOLLARS and there's pretty much nothing you can buy for a Harley that's less then $500! So spend the money. What's the difference from the fortune that you guys already have invested in your bike. The only issue is the warranty that I can see. I ordered a brand-new 2014 street glide special it's due in Wednesday I will hook up the J&M system and I will let you guys know how everything works out. Crossing my fingers.

Last edited by Fatherwayne; 05-25-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:37 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor

Fatherwayne ,,,,,,

I have been the president of J&M Corporation for more than 37 years ,,,,,, motorcycle audio IS our business ,,,,,,,

Have I really listened to the "world renown" automotive type speakers from Focal, Biketronics and many others on our own Harleys ? ,,,,,

I listen and compare their performance to what J&M offers, every single week of every single year ,,,, that is my job ,,,,,,,,, the damned things are lying all over our R&D shop ! ,,,

when I am talking about and SELLING the J&M audio product line-up, I try not to talk about or put down the competition, but instead talk about WHY the J&M audio product line is superior ,,,,,,,

what I can tell you here is that from my own listening experience, the speakers from Focal and Biketronics do not even hold a candle to the performance of the J&M ROKKER XX speakers and amplifiers provided by J&M ,,,,

Music clarity, dynamic range, durability and maximum volume available on the highway, for the Harley Davidson motorcycle environment are all superior to the competition, when using the ROKKER XX/XTP components and I state this with 100% confidence and integrity ,,,,,

when adjusting the DSP programming on our ROKKER XTP amplifiers for the new 2014 Harleys for instance, you should see the hours and hours that I spend testing and tuning, to get everything just right, the bass, the highs etc ,,, making sure that it not only sounds great sitting still, but on the highway at 80+MPH as well ,,,,,,,

back and forth down I-10 here in Tucson, dodging our finest civil patrol officers so they do not realize just how much I am pressing the boundaries of the posted legal speed limit ,,,, on a test route that I have used since we built the J&M building in 1987 ,,,,

This is my life ,,,, do I care how the products from the competition perform in a car or how many awards they have won ? ,,,,, I don't even give it a thought !,,,,,

what "I" care about is how much BETTER the J&M audio products perform on the Motorcycle ,,,,,

as for warranty ,,,,, you have called my integrity on the carpet on this issue many times, for what real reason I do not know ,,,,,

the standard J&M warranty is two years on all of our products and for the speakers themselves, I apply a lifetime warranty, but only to the original purchaser ,,,,,

now if you want something other than that out of J&M, then please fork out the $$$ to buy this place, and you can run it any way you feel comfortable with ,,,,,,

but until that day comes, J&M will continue to provide the best customer service available in this industry, just as we have always done for the past 37 years ,,,,,

does that mean we are perfect ? ,,,, hell no, no one or no company is ,,,,,,

but whenever a problem arises, I make sure to personally take the time to find the proper resolution that is fair to all involved ,,,,,,,,

will you be able to bring your own bike to the big J&M audio trailer at one of the shows this summer for comparison ?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Fatherwayne
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

John, First things first I realize you are sponsor here and I am appreciate of that fact so I always try to give you the proper recognition and respect in my own posts. I always acknowledge that you are a nice guy and often give you credit for your contribution to motorcycle technology. Although this little rant of yours is changing my mind about the nice guy part I will probably just refer to you as "The Big Baby at J&M that can't handle criticism in the big boy world".

It is interesting to me, although completely characteristic of you that you would chime in and respond to a post that I quoted of someone else. I only posted because he mentioned that didn't see how Biketronics and Focal could be much better.

JMJohn: ,,,,, Have I really listened to the "world renown" automotive type speakers from Focal, Biketronics and many others on our own Harleys ? ,,,,,

I never asked if you listened to them. I asked if the other poster did. Anybody with a login to this forum knows you listen to them and think they are the best in the world because you post it constantly even in threads that are completely unrelated.

Let me make you privy to something that seems to have escaped you. This forum is for Harley enthusiasts. It is not the J&M forum. We are a brotherhood. One you are also a part of. We are here for each other to share experiences and excitement as well as offer advice and opinions.

It is not your personal self promotion tool. If you try and use it as that people will call you out and say you post too much. Regardless of your forum presence, even if you weren't here at all, often people would post to their brothers that they chose another product over yours. I like Vance and Hines pipes way more that Rhinehardt. I have said it to my brothers on the forums lots of times. I have no personal issue with any pipe manufacturer but V&H is my favorite. Listen to this part because it gets tricky: Not once has any other exhaust manufacturer gotten their panties in a wad and gotten on a forum to personally attack me. They must believe the quality of their product stands alone and doesn't need defending. Maybe you feel guilty for the unbelievable mark up and think if you pound your chest hard enough no one will notice it or the markup you put on an amp you don't even make.

While we're at it... We are in the 2014 audio thread about audio options. It is for discussion of everything and as such some people are going to bash your overpriced product. What you do in there is called trolling. If it were a J&M thread and I constantly popped in to talk about other products I would be the troll.

JMJohn: I have been the president of J&M Corporation for more than 37 years ,,,,,, motorcycle audio IS our business ,,,,,,,

Thanks for the resume. I know your background. My background is also in mobile electronics and I own 4 corporations (none of which I promote on this forum).

What does all that mean? Nothing!

What does the fact that I think your speakers sound tinny and lacking in musical richness mean? Nothing!

What does the fact that you think your speakers are the finest speaker in the history of mankind mean? Nothing, except that you are trying to sell your speakers.

That's why I suggested that he (the poster I was talking to when you butted in with your little hissy fit) listen to all the competition first.

JMJohn: I listen and compare their performance to what J&M offers, every single week of every single year ,,,, that is my job ,,,,,,,,, the damned things are lying all over our R&D shop ! ,,,

I don't care what speakers you have laying around your R&D department and you can make fun of my world renowned comment all you want but it's petty because John.... They are WORLD RENOWNED!

JMJohn: when I am talking about and SELLING the J&M audio product line-up, I try not to talk about or put down the competition, but instead talk about WHY the J&M audio product line is superior ,,,,,,,

The problem is exactly what you posted in all caps. We are discussing our audio options in this thread. You are not trying to add objectively to the discussion. You are as you put it selling! On a forum that is called trolling. Adding nothing to the conversation. Don't say you don't talk bad about other products. You constantly say yours is better and you have called out Biketronics personally in reply to my posts (even though I have no affiliation with them) saying I don't see them on the forums. Your replies are never objective. They are thinly veiled compliments then promotion of your product.

JMJohn: What I can tell you here is that from my own listening experience, the speakers from Focal and Biketronics do not even hold a candle to the performance of the J&M ROKKER XX speakers and amplifiers provided by J&M ,,,,

Music clarity, dynamic range, durability and maximum volume available on the highway, for the Harley Davidson motorcycle environment are all superior to the competition, when using the ROKKER XX/XTP components and I state this with 100% confidence and integrity ,,,,,

That is your opinion. We established earlier what that means... Nothing! Mine is that you are delusional with regard to your speaker quality. In my listening experience Focals and Biketronics are with the exception of fitment (your ahead of Biketronics a few months on the 2014 mounts) laps and bounds better than yours. What does that mean? Nothing because as I suggested people should listen for themselves.

JMJohn: This is my life ,,,, do I care how the products from the competition perform in a car or how many awards they have won ? ,,,,, I don't even give it a thought !,,,,,

what "I" care about is how much BETTER the J&M audio products perform on the Motorcycle ,,,,,

I know you do and I have always given you credit for your contributions to the industry but with regards to awards I wouldn't either because it would make me cry. And in my opinion.... which like yours means nothing.... I don't think they perform better.

JMJohn: as for warranty ,,,,, you have called my integrity on the carpet on this issue many times, for what real reason I do not know ,,,,,

the standard J&M warranty is two years on all of our products and for the speakers themselves, I apply a lifetime warranty, but only to the original purchaser ,,,,,

now if you want something other than that out of J&M, then please fork out the $$$ to buy this place, and you can run it any way you feel comfortable with ,,,,,,

I have never questioned your integrity on that. The warranty is clearly stated. What I have done is question the value of your amplifier that is in my opinion already over priced in contrast to a Biketronics product that performs just as well but has a lifetime warranty. Notice I didn't say the amp you rebrand as yours is not of excellent quality. As a matter of fact let me say openly that it is an excellent product but it is not carrying a lifetime guarantee. That is not questioning your integrity that is stating an undeniable fact. If that bothers you instead of getting butt hurt get on the phone with the company that builds your amp and ask them for a lifetime warranty. If you can't get that from them, well...... Thems the brakes kid. See if Biketronics will let you rebrand their amp with your banner on it.

JMJohn: now if you want something other than that out of J&M, then please fork out the $$$ to buy this place, and you can run it any way you feel comfortable with ,,,,,,

but until that day comes, J&M will continue to provide the best customer service available in this industry, just as we have always done for the past 37 years ,,,,,

I'll give you that your customer service is excellent but I don't really like to be personally attacked because I prefer one product line over another and now that I see how petty the real John is...I don't ever want anything else from J&M (up until now we bought a lot from you).

Why would I ever need to buy J&M? Did Biketronics close down?

Good luck John we're probably not gonna buy adapters, hidden antennas, speakers or anything else from you after this post. You are a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. To bad you couldn't use it to help your brothers on the forum without constantly pushing your products.

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
Fatherwayne ,,,,,,

I have been the president of J&M Corporation for more than 37 years ,,,,,, motorcycle audio IS our business ,,,,,,,

Have I really listened to the "world renown" automotive type speakers from Focal, Biketronics and many others on our own Harleys ? ,,,,,

I listen and compare their performance to what J&M offers, every single week of every single year ,,,, that is my job ,,,,,,,,, the damned things are lying all over our R&D shop ! ,,,

when I am talking about and SELLING the J&M audio product line-up, I try not to talk about or put down the competition, but instead talk about WHY the J&M audio product line is superior ,,,,,,,

what I can tell you here is that from my own listening experience, the speakers from Focal and Biketronics do not even hold a candle to the performance of the J&M ROKKER XX speakers and amplifiers provided by J&M ,,,,

when adjusting the DSP programming on our ROKKER XTP amplifiers for the new 2014 Harleys for instance, you should see the hours and hours that I spend testing and tuning, to get everything just right, the bass, the highs etc ,,, making sure that it not only sounds great sitting still, but on the highway at 80+MPH as well ,,,,,,,

back and forth down I-10 here in Tucson, dodging our finest civil patrol officers so they do not realize just how much I am pressing the boundaries of the posted legal speed limit ,,,, on a test route that I have used since we built the J&M building in 1987 ,,,,

This is my life ,,,, do I care how the products from the competition perform in a car or how many awards they have won ? ,,,,, I don't even give it a thought !,,,,,

as for warranty ,,,,, you have called my integrity on the carpet on this issue many times, for what real reason I do not know ,,,,,

does that mean we are perfect ? ,,,, hell no, no one or no company is ,,,,,,

but whenever a problem arises, I make sure to personally take the time to find the proper resolution that is fair to all involved ,,,,,,,,

will you be able to bring your own bike to the big J&M audio trailer at one of the shows this summer for comparison ?

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread