Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM
jdgresham
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the full Boom audio upgrade done to my '14 SGS and have to say it ROCKS. I bought my bike at the end of August so I'm guessing the speakers are not the "bad" ones mentioned at the start of this thread. Only issue I have is the AVC does not remember it's settings and has to be turned off/on before each ride. My dealer says there is new firmware due out this week so will wait and see if that fixes it.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 PM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdgresham
I had the full Boom audio upgrade done to my '14 SGS and have to say it ROCKS. I bought my bike at the end of August so I'm guessing the speakers are not the "bad" ones mentioned at the start of this thread. Only issue I have is the AVC does not remember it's settings and has to be turned off/on before each ride. My dealer says there is new firmware due out this week so will wait and see if that fixes it.
It's about time they released the new firmware. I'm hoping it addresses a bunch of issues, including the GPS functionality...we'll see

Old 10-16-2014, 11:49 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Default Ohms

I'm a little confused here, and ignorant as to Ohms. Will the stock 2014 touring boombox run 2 ohm or 4 ohm speaker upgrades without an amp? If I get an amp, what ohm speakers will be needed? Can I mix and match, say, 2 ohm in front, and 4 ohm in back?

Old 10-16-2014, 12:58 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by SunPilot
I'm a little confused here, and ignorant as to Ohms.
no worries we'll confuse you even more.

Will the stock 2014 touring boombox run 2 ohm or 4 ohm speaker upgrades without an amp?
sure but if you don't go with an amp, I would suggest you stay with 2 ohm speakers to match the head unit. You can use 4 ohm speakers but you'll cut your effective volume by at least 1/3

If I get an amp, what ohm speakers will be needed?
the ohm of the speaker you need to use is dictated by the amp that you choose to go with.

Can I mix and match, say, 2 ohm in front, and 4 ohm in back?
you can but I suggest you don't with a stock head unit. If you have an amp in the mix it's a little different because you have the ability to control gains to front and rear independently from each other so you would be fine there.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:13 PM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
no worries we'll confuse you even more.

sure but if you don't go with an amp, I would suggest you stay with 2 ohm speakers to match the head unit. You can use 4 ohm speakers but you'll cut your effective volume by at least 1/3

the ohm of the speaker you need to use is dictated by the amp that you choose to go with.

you can but I suggest you don't with a stock head unit. If you have an amp in the mix it's a little different because you have the ability to control gains to front and rear independently from each other so you would be fine there.
Thanks UN...I already ordered Kappa 62.11i and thinking about a set of the Alpine SPR-60 for the rear pods I'm getting. Still have to get an amp or two to tie it all together. My SGS should be rocking with some good sound soon!

Old 10-16-2014, 01:15 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks UN...I already ordered Kappa 62.11i and thinking about a set of the Alpine SPR-60 for the rear pods I'm getting. Still have to get an amp or two to tie it all together. My SGS should be rocking with some good sound soon!
if you're not looking to blow the doors off the guy sitting next to you, check out the Alpine MRV-F300

Old 10-16-2014, 01:22 PM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
if you're not looking to blow the doors off the guy sitting next to you, check out the Alpine MRV-F300
Looks interesting. Am I correct in assuming this amp will power two 2 ohm speakers in front, and two 4 ohm speakers in rear? Maybe I should just look for another 2 ohm set for the rear to match the Kappa's...I would have went with 2 sets of Kappas but I read on here they won't fir the 2014 rear pods

Old 10-16-2014, 01:39 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Looks interesting. Am I correct in assuming this amp will power two 2 ohm speakers in front, and two 4 ohm speakers in rear? Maybe I should just look for another 2 ohm set for the rear to match the Kappa's...I would have went with 2 sets of Kappas but I read on here they won't fir the 2014 rear pods
yeah HD screwed everyone up by moving those passenger controls more towards the top of the pod.

The amp will power those speakers just fine and there is another post floating around here with that amp sitting perfectly atop the 2014 head unit.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:31 AM
whittaker727
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot on their web site, but I can't find anything for the '14+ bikes on there. Their phone goes straight to a computerized voice mail too. Anyone else have issues on their web site?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:23 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by whittaker727
Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot on their web site, but I can't find anything for the '14+ bikes on there. Their phone goes straight to a computerized voice mail too. Anyone else have issues on their web site?
http://www.harley-davidson.com/conte...downloads.html

Quick Reply: The Official 2014 audio upgrade thread