Classic All 'historic' bikes.

1983 FXDG Refurbish Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 05:22 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

Received 626 Likes on 339 Posts

Hi mrlexus i know of at least three other FXDG owners who would be interested in a point cover like the one you made. . .thanks for your consideration , Troy

Old 12-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Randy-FXDG
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cover work in process
If you could share the font you used it could help me, I don't think I got it yet. I saw what you did and wanted to try it too

Old 12-08-2018, 08:17 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Originally Posted by Randy-FXDG

Cover work in process
If you could share the font you used it could help me, I don't think I got it yet. I saw what you did and wanted to try it too
Hi Randy-FXDG i don't have this font my self, just the engraved point cover from mrlexus, your font shows the lettering for 9 o clock & 3 o clock mounting holes, i would like to get the holes at 12 o'clock & 6 o'clock if possible . . .

Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Randy-FXDG
Novice

Did not address the request properly, the Font request was for MRLEXUS on the one he used for his custom made one. The positioning of the letters is flexible. My plan was similar to His. Get a stock cover, get the black finish on it and try this decal paper I saw online to print the lettering and transfer it to the cover. Of course I have not done it yet but it is the idea I'm working with

will it work? I dont know yet

Old 12-08-2018, 10:25 AM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy-FXDG
Did not address the request properly, the Font request was for MRLEXUS on the one he used for his custom made one. The positioning of the letters is flexible. My plan was similar to His. Get a stock cover, get the black finish on it and try this decal paper I saw online to print the lettering and transfer it to the cover. Of course I have not done it yet but it is the idea I'm working with

will it work? I dont know yet
i have an original cover. It’s rough but I will take it to a sign shop and hopefully they will be able to identify the font and size.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:01 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

As an original owner of a 1985 FXWG I've been following these builds.
I just recently came into a rare gem. Although not factory original to the FXWG, I have a very nice OEM accessory seat PN 52599-78 that would be period correct for some of these builds.
Obviously it won't fit my 85 Evo frame, and I'm not sure I want to use it on my 1976 FLH.
You guys seem to be the type that would appreciate such a rare find, and maybe know someone that would be interested.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Randy-FXDG
Novice
Default Getting closer

Will be trying it out soon. I think its almost perfect.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:27 AM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The letters look good. Placement seems a little off though. They look more squished together on the original.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:39 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Originally Posted by shovhd
The letters look good. Placement seems a little off though. They look more squished together on the original.
your right the placement of the letters don't look quite right , is it me or dose the "HARLEY-DAVIDSON " look just a tic smaller than the rest of the lettering on the original point cover ? (maybe so it would fit on the point cover )

Old 12-28-2018, 07:10 AM
Randy-FXDG
Novice
Default Agree with the comments

I agree with your comments. These things are adjustable Letter Height, Spacing, Positioning and will keep working on it. I've changed the decal plan for now. I'm working with a local anodizing company which might get the black on some look a like aluminum covers and another company minutes from my workplace that does laser lettering. This might work.

Quick Reply: 1983 FXDG Refurbish Thread