Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To fatbob or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Repoguy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To fatbob or not

So I had a 11 wg and loved the bike, but old lady hated riding it so it got traded for an ultra classic. Let's just say the old lady isn't in the picture anymore and I'm wanting Another dyna. I'm leaning towards the fb because I think it handles amazing. For those of you that own them coming from another harley do you have Anything with the fatbob you regret. I hated my wide glide because of the limited tire choices for the rear tire, I hated how much of pain in the butt it was to move the plate and signals just to get decent bags on it, little things like that drove me nuts but I loved that bike. Now I'm sold on the 15 fatbob and after riding it back to back against the new low rider I think I'm ready to add a fatbob. My question to you is would you buy the fAtbob again after owning it or any regrets?

Old 01-11-2016, 12:20 AM
442johnl
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

What was it about the fatbob that makes you feel this way and did you get to test drive it more than once.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:39 AM
Repoguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 442johnl
What was it about the fatbob that makes you feel this way and did you get to test drive it more than once.
I just feel like I can ride Harder in the corners. I got to rider a fb back to back with the lowrider , also at two demo days. I loved the comfort of my wide glide but I felt like the handling was crap, my friend has a Fb with forwards and 10" tbars and i love the way it feels, Plus I like the fact you don't see a lot of them out on the road.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:41 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

You can't go wrong with a Fat Bob! I guess it's a love it or hate it thing with the looks, but the beefy front end works great for me.

It's an excellent handling bike for a Harley, comfortable, solid and well planted on the road. There certainly seem to be options for tyres as many people seem to change away from the stock Dunlop.

As for plate relocation, not sure - given the '14+ fender, it might look a bit strange if you move it, but you shouldn't need to to fit bags. Although - I guess you can't just mount a smaller plate like we can do in the UK.

Turn signal relocation should be fine - you could go to little LEDs on the ends of the swingarm if the stockers are in the way of the bags. I put Arlen Ness direct bolt ons on mine and they are really small - but then I don't have bags, so can't really say if they would get in the way or not.

Anyway - it's a great Dyna as long as you like the looks. Some strange people don't.....

Old 01-11-2016, 06:47 AM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll admit, as a matter of personal preference, there were aesthetic details I didn't love but didn't hate, namely the 16" rims, dual headlight and 130mm front tire. I love the blacked out rims on the new units, the headlight is a 1 beer job and the 130mm front improves the ride and handling. I personally don't mind the rear fender on either gen fatbob, some do.

Tell you though, I had a similar experience to yours OP. Test rode a FXDB and a FXDF expecting to buy a street bob.....post test ride i had doubts because I liked the FXDF that much, I went home to think about it and found an unmolested FXDF with 1400km locally from a guy who was selling it less than book. Bike checked out so I decided to take an extended test ride and buy it and ride it for a season knowing I could easily flip it and get my money back. After one season, I was sold. Best bike I have owned and I've owned a lot of bikes. "Invested" in many mods since.

FXDF just fit and felt better to me. To me, it's the most touring capable dyna out of the gate. For the record, I Love the street Bob and LR too, and would not hesitate to buy either knowing I'd have to spend some dough to get it set up right for me.

No matter what you buy, you are going to make changes to suit you better, so I would not hesitate to buy another. If I were buying again, I would probably buy the new LR but that's just because I've been there done an FXDF.

In any event, you know what you want, make it happen.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I have had my Fat Bob over 3 years now and still love it. Like c-note, I am getting a bit tired of the fat/chunky tires but planning on fixing that soon....

If you love to hot rod around and do some turning, switching to mids is great! Need to do the 30T front pulley mod too, but that is true for all the Dynas.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:21 PM
HyperM3
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I got my 13 FB almost 3 years ago and I love the bike. I have gone to my local dealer several times trying other bikes since(softail, dyna and touring) and none grab me like my FB does when I get back on it. For me, it just does everything so great. Very comfortable on long rides(better seat and floorboards up front) and handles so much better than it should. Plus, like you said, you never really see them so I feel more special.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Repoguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by c-note
I'll admit, as a matter of personal preference, there were aesthetic details I didn't love but didn't hate, namely the 16" rims, dual headlight and 130mm front tire. I love the blacked out rims on the new units, the headlight is a 1 beer job and the 130mm front improves the ride and handling. I personally don't mind the rear fender on either gen fatbob, some do.

Tell you though, I had a similar experience to yours OP. Test rode a FXDB and a FXDF expecting to buy a street bob.....post test ride i had doubts because I liked the FXDF that much, I went home to think about it and found an unmolested FXDF with 1400km locally from a guy who was selling it less than book. Bike checked out so I decided to take an extended test ride and buy it and ride it for a season knowing I could easily flip it and get my money back. After one season, I was sold. Best bike I have owned and I've owned a lot of bikes. "Invested" in many mods since.

FXDF just fit and felt better to me. To me, it's the most touring capable dyna out of the gate. For the record, I Love the street Bob and LR too, and would not hesitate to buy either knowing I'd have to spend some dough to get it set up right for me.

No matter what you buy, you are going to make changes to suit you better, so I would not hesitate to buy another. If I were buying again, I would probably buy the new LR but that's just because I've been there done an FXDF.

In any event, you know what you want, make it happen.
See that's exactly what I'm doing, I'm so on the fence at the moment, I did find one used with 5k on it, thunder header, air cleaner, fuel pak 3 on it with the dyna bags from Harley, I also found the exact same bike for stock, but a leftover 15, so I guess it's gonna boil down to whatever I get the better deal on.. But I think I'm gonna get the fatbob and ride it, if I don't like it I'll sell it and get a lowrider. But from what I read on this board I think the fb might stay around. Thanks guys

Old 01-11-2016, 02:00 PM
Peej
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I rode the Low Rider and Fat Bob back to back. The Fat Bob edged in the riding department but the Low Rider won me over in the looks and style department. I think it was that stripe on the tank.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:48 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree Peej, in a straight up beauty contest, LR wins.

Quick Reply: To fatbob or not