Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGGorman's 99 Wide Glide build thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 04:12 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Thanks for the compliment. That means a lot coming from you. I always thought your bike was badass. Much of my early inspiration came from Rocket Bobs. I was originally thinking about a pintail but just couldnt get into the point at the tail. I'm sure he'd glass up a custom one for me, but it would have to be at least a grand. Too salty for me. He makes the best custom Dynas in the world, IMO. He seems to be moving away from them, tho. Makes me a little sad. More Dyna Love, Pete!
Sent Pete an email (about an order) and told him the Dyna guys are feeling left out and he said this: "Hey that's crazy talk !! I'll never move away from Dynas. We have 6 in the shop alone at the moment and constantly working with guys on their builds in the states".

Trying to get a Sporty kit out and breakout. But nothing gets me going like the Dyna. The current (06 - ) FXD range are the best bikes HD have ever done.

We will always be Dyna first 😎👍
​Pete

Old 03-21-2016, 04:13 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Yay! That's so good to hear!

Old 03-29-2016, 07:05 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I got all the wrinkle black drivetrain covers installed. I'm liking the look with the ARP bolts.

Also finally tore off the primary to get the sprocket fit up. Based on my research of people with slightly newer Dynas I gambled that a .750 offset front would work. Not even close. Even with the 3/4 on there it still measures 5/8 too short. That would hit the inner primary so I ordered the 1.060 offset from PBI. I'll have to make up the difference at the hub. Think I'm gonna have to offset the tire. Bummer. I wanted it centered in the swingarm. Will make new axle spacers, shorten the pulley adapter/spacer, and maybe modify the rear caliper bracket... No wonder I couldn't find anybody doing this to a '99. Oh well. Adapt and overcome.

Last edited by cggorman; 01-26-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:57 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm? I was hoping this would work I would like to do wider tire on my 99 Lowrider. Keep us posted on how you get it to work. I have heard that some people are spacing out there primaries but that seem pretty labor intensive, i would think you would have to put on longer shafts for everything if you did that.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

Also did you by those new wrinkle black cases or paint your old ones?

Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

The covers are powder coated. Got them from a coater that sells on eBay. I kept my chrome ones. Never know when I may want to change back!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:21 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

My chrome ones are flaking off in some spots so been thinking for a winter project to take them off and take a grinder to them and then paint them. Have heard the chrome is hard to get off though. Depends on how much it would cost i might get them powdercoated but got to get that chrome off first.

by the way those look good on your bike

Old 03-29-2016, 09:24 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

As I understand it, the better powder coaters strip chrome prior to spraying. The local shop here does.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:55 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Well damn. I got the 1.060 sprocket in and I would still need to offset the tire at least 1/4" to make it work. PBI says the 1.06 is the widest that will fit under the 5 speed primary. I'd tend to agree. With some modification of the inner primary I think I could squeeze another .100 out of it but that would sacrifice quite a bit of strength of the mainshaft outer bearing carrier. Probably not a smart mod.

That leaves me with three options as I see it...

1) Offset the whole primary 1/4" and get the 1.125 sprocket.
2) Live with the tire offset and change the brake to make that work. Maybe a sprocket brake?
3) Go to a 180mm tire.

I need to do some more thinking...

Old 04-02-2016, 12:05 PM
hetkehog
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would think the sprocket/rotor would work running no fender or even a short rear fender, if your rear wheel isn't perfectly in the center if the swingarm, you think it would be a issue? that I don't know. I do have to say, im glad you bought the 1.06 sprocket so know I know lol

Quick Reply: CGGorman's 99 Wide Glide build thread