Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feedback on Attitude Adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 AM
newdyna
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Feedback on Attitude Adjuster

Just finished the Baker install with a couple surprising things. First is that some here were correct in that the two main parts will fit under the chain w/o removal of the comp. I did want to look for lack of lube or rust, and add some grease, but from external, all looks good. Note that the early comps were lubed externally with a grease gun??? My chain was dog tight...too much so for my experience with chains. Also with about 11k on the clock the nylon wear block was like new....hope this is also true when I check the cam chain tensioners later. In this harsh environment, I am using Amsoil....see their ASTM tests with comparos to others. As a note, when I was checking the comp bolt for torque, I notice that the spring will wind up. I wonder whether anyone has thought to develop a method to check spring tension using torque. This because some comp failures are due to spring failures? With the aluminum sprocket block tool in place, when you torque the bolt, the spring collapses and forces the shaft extension and crank to move, sprocket stays still. Should be a correlation between torque and movement.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:27 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

If you're still using the old style oem comp, it's a weak pos.

As a side note, that over tight primary... can cause fractures in the clutch hub splines, on the inside next to the IPB... a larger than normal amount of bikes have those splines fractured about 3/8 to 1/2 from the outside in.

Found that on mine last year when replacing my alternator... installed a new hub, and a Hayden tensioner... got that stock ratcheting pos out of there.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:32 PM
newdyna
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good points Archer....so far, no metal on the magnet so I am hoping to spot any comp problems that may begin before they get bad. Noise might begin ahead of metal shredding, but will try to stay ahead of that one, thanks.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:17 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

My stock comp went bad, you could hear it when I started the bike... it would go the end of travel and smack the stops.. sounded like someone with a small ball peen hammer smacking the primary case every time I started it... ... I installed the SE comp.. no issues..

Old 04-12-2016, 08:38 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
If you're still using the old style oem comp, it's a weak pos.

As a side note, that over tight primary... can cause fractures in the clutch hub splines, on the inside next to the IPB... a larger than normal amount of bikes have those splines fractured about 3/8 to 1/2 from the outside in.

Found that on mine last year when replacing my alternator... installed a new hub, and a Hayden tensioner... got that stock ratcheting pos out of there.
I hope the Hayden works out for you but for me it made my chain so tight I could barely move my chain up or down 1/8" using all my strength - Baker Attittude Adjuster in now...