Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDL Lowrider ignition recall - not fixed

Old 09-03-2016, 04:47 PM
HeelDragger
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
You still have "Radio Shack?"
Yeah we still have one in LSD (Lower Slower Delaware).

Old 09-04-2016, 09:55 AM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,038 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by HeelDragger
There are two recalls for the Ignition Switch on the 2014.5 Low Riders.
First one was to replace the top motor mount ignition switch bracket and the second was to replace the ignition switch.
I decided to relocate my switch to get it off the engine to avoid the engine vibrations and to allow for the installation of a Wards Fan setup with a horn relocation.
Something to keep in mind is to keep a 220 ohm resistor in your bag or pocket. If the ignition switch fails and kills

your bike you can pull the switch connector at the switch and jump the two terminals with the resistor. Doing so will power up your bike and will get you home. You can get a 5 pack of 220 ohm resistors at Radio Shack for a little more than a dollar.
that is a nice looking job of relocation, am still contemplating on doing the same to my LR.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:41 AM
HeelDragger
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
that is a nice looking job of relocation, am still contemplating on doing the same to my LR.
Thanks for the nice comment...For me it was a necessary thing to do so that I could mount the Ward's fans on the bike. My bike was running very hot...ET at 340 degrees and head temp at 380...with the Ward's Fans my engine temp is down to about 290 and head temp is down to 320. Much more enjoyable ride and no longer worried about cooking the engine oil.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Mine never went bad but when I got the 2nd recall letter I had it replaced. It's okay so far.

I did reduce the engine vibrations with a shim in the front mount and adjusting the top brace to neutral when I found it was pushing the engine 3/8 " to the right. Now my right foot stays on the peg. Before it would work off the peg.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Blackacre
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
I had my 2015 ignition switch replaced a month ago. As long as the replaced switch is not cutting the motor I can deal with the housing breaking free. I'll complain and get it replaced, but it doesn't sound as if it's a safety issue. Did I read that correctly?
As of today 3 or 4 brackets/housing replacements have been done. On the way to work this morning the bike cut out 3 different times, one while in a turn. It also surged 2 times, which is something I didn't see the first time it happened. Fwiw, I am seeing two codes, P2300 and P2303. Ignition coil driver low/open (front and rear). It's definitely a safety issue and I've lost confidence in my bike.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Blackacre
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake911
I had my 2015 ignition switch replaced a month ago. As long as the replaced switch is not cutting the motor I can deal with the housing breaking free. I'll complain and get it replaced, but it doesn't sound as if it's a safety issue. Did I read that correctly?
Originally Posted by HeelDragger
There are two recalls for the Ignition Switch on the 2014.5 Low Riders.
First one was to replace the top motor mount ignition switch bracket and the second was to replace the ignition switch.
I decided to relocate my switch to get it off the engine to avoid the engine vibrations and to allow for the installation of a Wards Fan setup with a horn relocation.
Something to keep in mind is to keep a 220 ohm resistor in your bag or pocket. If the ignition switch fails and kills

your bike you can pull the switch connector at the switch and jump the two terminals with the resistor. Doing so will power up your bike and will get you home. You can get a 5 pack of 220 ohm resistors at Radio Shack for a little more than a dollar.
I dig the thinking you've done here. After 3 or 4 broken mounts and now at the 2nd failed ignition I'm feeling sold that this is really a bad spot and I should relocate it or just trade in...maybe get an FXDLS. Just wish it didn't have a bobbed fender, gold wheels, and all blacked out appearance. I wonder if that bike has any problems...

Anyway, I am kind of curious to learn what it would take to fit a keyless system and get off the jugs. I will try to keep this page posted and see about putting up a youtube video on a relocation howto if I keep the bike.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:42 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cc1967
I had the first recall done..now going for the second for the same issue.

Is that what happened with you? Is this the first recall?
This my second me time. First time they fixed it lasted about 1200 miles . Now it's cutting out again. Back to dealer what a GIANT PIFA!!!