Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed S&S 583 easy start cams

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Kevin R
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Installed S&S 583 easy start cams

I started yesterday with warming up the motor and draining all three holes. next was taking off the rocker boxes and rocker support plates to install the Rockout rocker sleeves. That part was easy just took time. BTW I did take off the tank to make it easier. When I had them apart I pulled out the push rods so I didn't have to cut them. Then I got to taking the cam cover. I did end up pulling the lifter covers to just pull them out and to be able to install the S&S adjustable push rods. I bought the tool to take out the cam bearings so that made that part easy. I took out the stock cams and installed the 583 cams. Then slipped them back into place. Got everything put back together in the cam box then I started the push rods. Got kind of tricky putting both pushrods , pushrod tubes and lifter covers on at the same time. Got the pushrods adjusted. I had been working on it for about 8 1/2 hours by that time so I stopped right there.
This morning I started by getting the tank put back on, installed the exhaust, put on a new oil filter, filled all three holes with oil, went to the gas station and picked up some fuel and dumped the oil at the parts store. Got back and put in the fuel, reflashed the VCI with a new tune for the cams. Crossed my fingers and hit the switch. It started right up but had a bad noise coming from the rear rocker box. I killed it right then and started investigating. I pulled the push rod tubes up and crap the intake push rod was real loose. I could of swore I had it on the base circle when I adjusted them. Anyway I readjusted all the push rods. After that I fired it up again and it ran perfect. It sounds so much better at idle. The weather sucks right now so I just went up the street and back maybe 1/4 mile. Brought it back in and put her on the lift. Checked the oil and checked for any leaks. Everything was perfect.
I should be able to take it out tomorrow for some tuning runs with the SE pro tuner. Cant wait..

I should of taken pics but when I am working I get in a zone and hate to stop. I worked on it for 8 1/2 hours straight yesterday and then today another 5 hours. I wonder how much the dealership would charge for this job.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

So does your FatBob have a stock 96"?
What made you pick the ez 583s?

Old 09-09-2017, 07:10 PM
Kevin R
Tourer

The internals are stock. It has a pipe, air filter and tuner. I picked that cam because of its power band

Old 09-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

You put oil in all 3 holes??? Dude you're supposed to put trans and primary fluid in 2 of em!!!

Alright now that I'm done ****in around, good job sounds like it went smoothly for you even with having to readjust the pushrods. I like seeing people do their own work, and really know their ride instead of paying the dealer to do it. I could be wrong but I thought the dealer charged 4 hours for cams plus tuning. Anyway congrats man, enjoy

Old 09-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Kevin R
Tourer

Thanks. I put Valvoline 75/90 in the trans, 20/50 Valvoline VR1 in the engine and Bike master motorcycle oil 10/40 in the primary. Bike master is good for wet clutches.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:49 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Congrats!!! So rewarding isn't it? After my 1000 mile service at the dealer I promised myself that I would learn and do everything myself from that point onward. I've been true to that other than mounting new tires. I always smile when thinking about changing the cams which was my first major anything with an engine.

FYI, most dealers charge between $700-$800 plus parts for a cam change and bearings, that would be without removing the rocker boxes to put in the lockers. Indy's would probably be a couple hundred less.

Money well saved for future mods

Have fun and ride safe.

The following users liked this post:
Kevin R (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Kevin R
Tourer

I got out this morning and did three recording runs. The bike runs well with the new cams. Still need to take it to the dyno and have it tuned correctly as Iam not sure what to do with timing and other setting you can play with on the pro tuner.

So not a huge difference but noticeable. Idle sounds better, has a great tone in the exhaust and where before it was hard to find a good gear to be in that has changed. It just has good pull everywhere. I feel now that I need to be up a gear and its pulling and running well. All in all I really like the cam swap. Cant wait to get it on the dyno and have it dialed in.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Breeze1962
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm planning on this same cam swap over the winter in my 2014 Slim.The 583's,to me,seem to be a good fit & all around cam for my bike & usage.Good all around power & sound.From what I've seen,i would guess you'll end up in the 90 HP range & maybe 100 to 105 ft/lb.
Keep us posted on how it all works out. I am curious as to how it effects your milage.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Kevin R
Tourer

Originally Posted by Breeze1962
I'm planning on this same cam swap over the winter in my 2014 Slim.The 583's,to me,seem to be a good fit & all around cam for my bike & usage.Good all around power & sound.From what I've seen,i would guess you'll end up in the 90 HP range & maybe 100 to 105 ft/lb.
Keep us posted on how it all works out. I am curious as to how it effects your milage.

One thing I have never done is check fuel mileage with any my motorcycles. I check my truck every time I fill up. My cycles have always been a toy and have never commute on them so its never been important to me to check.

Yes I will update as soon as it goes to the dyno. Dont really care about numbers either. I just want it to run is best with the combo I have.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

You know, Kevin. I try to read you posts, but I can't focus with your avatar.

The following 2 users liked this post by DivineDark:
Breeze1962 (09-13-2017), Kevin R (09-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Installed S&S 583 easy start cams