Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike died today, electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 10:37 PM
chriswillrise
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bike died today, electrical problems

So I bought this 03 fxdx 3 weeks ago. Rode it everyday since, today while riding i lost all power and the bike had no power, no lights on the speedo, nothing. I figured either the stator wasnt charging the battery or i had a loose connection.

2 hours of sitting on the side of the road my buddy picks me up with his truck, we get the bike home i turn the key and it has power and starts right up.

i decide to take the battery out and the fuse cover and check all connections, make sure everything is tight and it was. I checked the ignition switch and it was getting currency through all the terminals so that wasnt an issue.

I put it all back together and now the speedo light and odometer turn on in accessory but turn the key to run and everything shuts off. I have no idea what is going on. Gotta be a short somewhere but i can find anything. i pulled fuses 1 by 1 to see if i could rule out a part of the electrical system and nothing changed

And by getting super frustrated i broke the damn frame ground under the seat. So if anyone has a good idea on a solution for that it would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-18-2016, 11:20 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,026 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswillrise
So if anyone has a good idea on a solution for that it would be greatly appreciated
Not going to like it

Start at the bttry.., with a VOM and wiring schematic (or at least a diagram of the wiring harness)

Start tracing it out - clean / tighten all connections - verify voltages

Find all grounds - clean / tighten / verify

Verify all relays - clean their contacts or replace if necessary

Could be a shorted wire..., could also be a hundred other things

Ghost

Old 09-18-2016, 11:50 PM
chriswillrise
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Not going to like it

Start at the bttry.., with a VOM and wiring schematic (or at least a diagram of the wiring harness)

Start tracing it out - clean / tighten all connections - verify voltages

Find all grounds - clean / tighten / verify

Verify all relays - clean their contacts or replace if necessary

Could be a shorted wire..., could also be a hundred other things

Ghost
worst answer ever guess ill be chasing wires for while, just weird that it shut down mid ride. The battery was at 12.8v when i got home so i know the charging system is working. ugh

Old 09-19-2016, 12:38 AM
chriswillrise
Advanced

Is there anything special to do with the security system? Am i supposed to have a fob? when I look at an exploded view of the security wiring it mentions having a coded fob

Old 09-19-2016, 07:47 AM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What was the last thing YOU did to the bike? Like installation?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:58 AM
chriswillrise
Advanced

Originally Posted by MFC
What was the last thing YOU did to the bike? Like installation?
nothing, I bought this bike running, everything worked. All ive done is change the fluids the day I bought it and have been riding it everyday since

Old 09-19-2016, 08:23 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

more than likely it is your ignition switch
same thing happened to my 06
when they start to go bad they can act funny, like work and then not work

i know it is just a trial and error but i would replace the switch first after i did all the standard electrical tests

Old 09-19-2016, 08:25 AM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What was the outside temperature? If it was a hot day and your bike was running hot, then it may be a solenoid issue that is temp related. Purely a stab in the dark but having it fail mid-ride and re-start leads me to believe it is temp that is causing the electrical failure.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM
chriswillrise
Advanced

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
What was the outside temperature? If it was a hot day and your bike was running hot, then it may be a solenoid issue that is temp related. Purely a stab in the dark but having it fail mid-ride and re-start leads me to believe it is temp that is causing the electrical failure.
It was hot probably 90. But it sat on the side of the road for 3 hours without any power then I get it home and it acts like nothing happened. And after checking for loose wires and getting it all back together now it just died if I switch the ignition to run.

In accessory the speedo lights up but if I try the horn it shuts off and the horn doesn't work

Old 09-19-2016, 02:32 PM
canadayman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am going to second the switch i would check the power to the switch when you loose everything if you still have power at switch when nothing works it is the switch

Quick Reply: bike died today, electrical problems