Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supertrapp 2-1 exhaust = oil dipstick problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 09:11 AM
El Chiguete
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Supertrapp 2-1 exhaust = oil dipstick problem

I finally cleaned up an old Supertrapp 2-1 exhaust and installed on my bike: LOOKS GOOD, SOUNDS GOOD but I have a new problem now... the rear pipe blocks the oil dipstick and I can't take it out without removing or at least loosing out the bolts of the exhaust.

So anyone know where I can get a low profile or flush mounted dipstick that can give me room to take it off without removing the exhaust?

dirty and burned

that polishing product didn't do the trick...

burned

burned

wet sanding is the ONLY way to make it work!

Before and After wet sanding!

Finished product

On the bike

Oil dipstick is now blocked by the rear pipe

Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Hmm. My Bassani 2 into 1 has limited access to the dipstick, but it isn't blocked. You just have to be careful not to burn yourself if the pipe is hot (I just wear Mechanix gloves when checking hot, and it's no big deal).

Is your dipstick a push-in or a screw-in? How far will it come out without hitting the pipe? Are you certain that it can't be wiggled around in some way that works? Will the cap come all the way off and then it's actually the position of the dipstick itself that keeps it from coming off, or is the clearance so tight that the cap can't actually be removed?

If there is room for the cap to come off, but the dipstick itself gets stuck, is your dipstick rigidly attached to the inside of the lid, or does it swivel? On my '00, the dipstick hangs from the cap essentially with a ball-in-socket connection, allowing it to swing around. If yours is rigidly mounted, finding an assembly like this might help...

Sorry, I'm not familiar with this level of detail on bikes newer than mine.

On another note, your clean-up job on the pipe looks great!

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (06-26-2023)
Old 10-31-2016, 12:32 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Supertrapp is close and I don't check oil when hot but I can get dipstick out ok. Looks like pipes are a lot closer to engine than my exhaust.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:47 PM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

When I installed my TBR, I didn't follow the directions and I ended up blocking my oil plug. I took it all back out and reinstalled the exhaust and magically everything lined up perfectly once I followed the directions.

I forget which way is correct, but my two methods were to install the lone headers then install the muffler section. the other option was to loosely connect the parts, then install them on the bike. There was a big difference on the fitment once it was mounted on the bike, but again I don't remember which way worked the best without looking at my instructions.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:39 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

I would say to begin with that that exhaust isn't for your bike. It doesn't appear to have o2 sensors which your bike would need. It looks to be a 99-06 style one. Or you maybe just have it canted

The following users liked this post:
Qdog002 (06-25-2023)
Old 10-31-2016, 01:47 PM
El Chiguete
Road Master

Originally Posted by misfitJason
I would say to begin with that that exhaust isn't for your bike. It doesn't appear to have o2 sensors which your bike would need. It looks to be a 99-06 style one. Or you maybe just have it canted
Ohh yeha it came from a bike that didn't use O2 sensors but that is ok because I will run it with a map for open loop. And that also is the reason it blocks the dipstick.

I will take a pic tonight for all of you to see how close is it.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:29 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,387 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Are you going to throw codes without sensors?

Old 10-31-2016, 06:39 PM
DynaKid94
Road Warrior
Received 586 Likes on 333 Posts

Hell, I had that same exhaust on my 04, even that bike I had problems with the dipstick. Honestly, looks like that's just going to come with the territory...

Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 PM
El Chiguete
Road Master

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Are you going to throw codes without sensors?
Using the TechnoResearch Direct Link Flash-Tuner http://technoresearch.com/index.php/...ng/direct-link.

Also latter on I will actually use their wide band sensor kit to build a custom map for my bike too.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:01 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

I can't speak to the dipstick problem (sorry), but also wanted to mention what a stellar job you did on the clean up, looks fantastic!

Quick Reply: Supertrapp 2-1 exhaust = oil dipstick problem