Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDL Wheels on FXDF Sliders on FXDB..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:25 PM
abez
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default FXDL Wheels on FXDF Sliders on FXDB..

Hi looking for some advice/help.

I have a 2006 streetbob and I have installed 2016 FXDLS wheels. So to make this work I have switched 25mm axles.
Now this worked just fine with a single rotor/brake and the OEM streebob fork sliders and the 1" spacers on each side.

I now tried to upgrade to dual brakes so I aquired a set of Black fork sliders off of a 2012 FXDF fatbob.
when i tried to put everything back together using the 1" FXDL wheel spacers, and the FXDF sliders, the dual calipers are both to close to the rotors and wont fit properly.
the right one is about 1/16" too close and left one is 3/16" too close.
I am not sure whats wrong but it appears that the caliper mounting tabs for the FXDF fatbob sliders are closer to the wheel than the FXDB and FXDL sliders.

Can anyone advise what I can do to make this work?
can I use wider wheel spacers to push the sliders out more?
or should I machine the tabs and shave them down to make them position the calipers to center over the rotor?

if i use wider spacers will that affect the wear on the forks internals...seals.etc?

thanks for any help..

Attached Thumbnails FXDL Wheels on FXDF Sliders on FXDB..-20170123_120238.jpg   FXDL Wheels on FXDF Sliders on FXDB..-20170123_120317.jpg   FXDL Wheels on FXDF Sliders on FXDB..-20170123_122542.jpg   FXDL Wheels on FXDF Sliders on FXDB..-20170123_122504.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 07:06 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

You just found out one of the differences between Fat Bob Sliders and Mid-glide sliders

You can solve that by milling down the Caliper mounting bosses.

I would pick milling the caliper bosses over milling the slider bosses (at least on the Left side with more material removal)

Mill these 2 surfaces

Is this your bike?

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-23-2017 at 10:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
abez (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:14 PM
abez
Cruiser

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
You just found out one of the differences between Fat Bob Sliders and Mid-glide sliders

You can solve that by milling down the Left Caliper mounting bosses.

I would pick milling the caliper bosses over milling the slider bosses...

Mill these 2 surfaces

Is this your bike?

OK.
Sounds good. I'll try that then.
Any advice as to how much I should mill off? It looked like I need to get 3/16" off to center the caliper on the rotor does that sound like too much to take off the caliper?

Thank you very much!

And yes that is my bike, the forks were fxdb's plasti dipped in that pic.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Yes, 3/16" is right there

I should add that Right-side needs a little removed also if you want to do it "Right"...just not as much.

A pretty close approximation (which really will you get there) would be to remove:
approx .180" (maybe up to .190") Left-side (clutch lever side)
approx .040" (maybe up to .050") Right-side (brake lever side)

FWIW, I am going to perform a super precise measurement soon, but won't be tomorrow

abez (01-29-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 01:05 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

I just went out and handled one of those particular 08-later Dyna calipers (like shown above) and they sure don't lend themselves to a deep mill job because the relatively close proximity to the bleeder screw. You can mill some, but getting all the way to .180 will be close...Be careful.

May want take some off the sliders. I'd rather take all off of cals, but it's close.

But anyways that basically the amount of material you want to remove.

good luck

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-24-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:05 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I think I was smart to let him tackle this project on his own Personally if I trusted the guy doing the work I might prefer machining the sliders instead. Seems cleaner in my mind as the calipers are threaded and the sliders are not.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Next Day - Additional Comments (a bit historical)...

As I think you can see, the Fat Bob sliders are really not the "Best" way to convert to Dyna Midglide Dual Disc.

With the introduction of the 2014 Low Rider (at least for the Right-side slider), that is the arguably "best" way depending on what the end goal is as far as Brake Calipers.

Starting with introduction of the 49mm tubes on Dynas in 2006, the V-Rod sliders would have been the "best", but you have to address the damper bolt difference.

Then the 2008 Fat Bob came out and some people were slapping just the Right slider on at the least and dealing with fender mount issue.

Then depending on the end goal for the whole frontend, the 2014-later "Touring" sliders can be used.

We have a lot more options now

Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by mattVA
I think I was smart to let him tackle this project on his own Personally if I trusted the guy doing the work I might prefer machining the sliders instead. Seems cleaner in my mind as the calipers are threaded and the sliders are not.
Definitely a viable option, I don't like seeing the slider caliper mounts getting "Thin" taking a lot of material off the left side, but it should work fine. The .040-.050" on the Right is no big deal. If a person is a machinist or has handy resources so you can keep the cost down, you could perform a combination of slider and caliper mods if you chose to.

The best thing about doing just the sliders is that any brake cal that would normally work on Dyna's unique caliper mount location are exchangeable, if you ever start changing

EDIT:
For an example of milling both cals to use with Fat Bob sliders, nemosengineer was using XR1200 Cals, so bleeder interference wasn't an issue

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-24-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:24 AM
abez
Cruiser

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Next Day - Additional Comments (a bit historical)...

As I think you can see, the Fat Bob sliders are really not the "Best" way to convert to Dyna Midglide Dual Disc.

With the introduction of the 2014 Low Rider (at least for the Right-side slider), that is the arguably "best" way depending on what the end goal is as far as Brake Calipers.

Starting with introduction of the 49mm tubes on Dynas in 2006, the V-Rod sliders would have been the "best", but you have to address the damper bolt difference.

Then the 2008 Fat Bob came out and some people were slapping just the Right slider on at the least and dealing with fender mount issue.

Then depending on the end goal for the whole frontend, the 2014-later "Touring" sliders can be used.

We have a lot more options now

I wish I would have known that's when I purchased these sliders. I was visiting San Diego and got a good deal so I bought them and brought them back in a backpack to Virginia. I was told these sliders would work. I guess technically they do but I thought they would bolt right up like the FXDL sliders.
Well thanks for all the Help, I do have a good understanding of what needs to get done now.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by abez
...I was told these sliders would work. I guess technically they do but I thought they would bolt right up like the FXDL sliders...
Sellers say a lot things (or not a lot of things as the case may be )...

Either they're ignorant to all the subtleties or they know and don't care to say, but knowing that it's at least "Doable". The "Good" people will tell you what your up against.

At least they didn't give you 39mm sliders, but you gotta watch Californians in general and San Diegoians in particular

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-24-2017 at 10:45 AM.
abez (01-24-2017)

Quick Reply: FXDL Wheels on FXDF Sliders on FXDB..