Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switchback vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:47 PM
jimmydeuce
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switchback vibration

inherited a 2012 Switchback - 4000 miles - insane vibration at 2500-3500 rpm
lotta buzz on internet - many similar complaints
what's the fix - why doesn't HD have an answer?

Old 02-09-2017, 04:40 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,750 Likes on 3,962 Posts

It's really helpful to be as descriptive as possible when it comes to these sorts of issues Is the vibration more intense on acceleration or decel? Do you experience any sort of shuddering on decel?

Dyna's are a special animal and their alignment and isolators play a key role in them being either right or not. The front isolator is a known wear item; I changed mine out at 600 miles on the ODO but by setting up the bike correctly at that point the issue has not returned.

A few links to help get you started, the HD service bulletin is from May of '12. The monster shimming thread is a good read and you'll find good information within that...

https://app.box.com/s/42af95077c683c50e461

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...today-wow.html

Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 PM
robertomendo
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

google the clevis pin mod for the Switchback. Easy fix. Fixed mine. Cost less than ten bucks.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 181 Likes on 140 Posts

switchback vibes are caused by the design of the factory exhaust system
clevis pin mod OR COMPLETE new exhaust is only fix for it..

just adding a slip on will NOT be enough to get rid of that vision blurring vibration

Old 02-10-2017, 05:32 AM
crzoomb
Tourer
Received 135 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C

just adding a slip on will NOT be enough to get rid of that vision blurring vibration
!00% spot on

Old 02-10-2017, 09:45 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,252 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C

Yup...

Old 02-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Smogbob
Road Captain
Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

Text Below is not from me, credit to the op who wrote it, but basically this is the problem and how to fix it.

The vibration between 2.5k and 3.5k rpm on many, but not all, Switchbacks is a notoriously well known problem. Here's the fix for that Switchback vibe problem:

On the bottom side of the muffler near the middle there is a bolt that attaches the muffler to the center of the support bracket. Temporarily remove this bolt completely. Start the bike. Run the engine up to 2,700-3,200 RPM and you will most likely notice the horrible vibration is gone. Replace the bolt with a clevis pin, a couple of fender washers, and a couple of rubber washers. (You often see this referred to as the "Clevis Pin Mod") This will keep it from falling off the bike if the rear bolt comes lose but it will let it float a little and remove the solid attachment that causes the resonance and vibration. You've "rubber mounted" the vibrating area of the exhaust system that causes the problem.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:49 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 181 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Smogbob
Text Below is not from me, credit to the op who wrote it, but basically this is the problem and how to fix it.

The vibration between 2.5k and 3.5k rpm on many, but not all, Switchbacks is a notoriously well known problem. Here's the fix for that Switchback vibe problem:

On the bottom side of the muffler near the middle there is a bolt that attaches the muffler to the center of the support bracket. Temporarily remove this bolt completely. Start the bike. Run the engine up to 2,700-3,200 RPM and you will most likely notice the horrible vibration is gone. Replace the bolt with a clevis pin, a couple of fender washers, and a couple of rubber washers. (You often see this referred to as the "Clevis Pin Mod") This will keep it from falling off the bike if the rear bolt comes lose but it will let it float a little and remove the solid attachment that causes the resonance and vibration. You've "rubber mounted" the vibrating area of the exhaust system that causes the problem.

NOT QUITE as simple as this as it does take some finessing, juts loosening that cross bolt will move the vibration range down lower in the rpms

Old 02-11-2017, 08:29 AM
robertomendo
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Yes that was my experience. When I did the clevis pin mod at first I got the assembly too tight- vibes moved down the rpm range. Then too loose- same. Finally just right and perfect now. No bothersome vibes. You have to play with the thickness of the spacers.
When I got new tires put on by an indie shop they removed the muffler and when they put it back they had lost a thin washer and the vibes were back so I had to re-do the connection and now all is good again. I will add that I bought my Switchback used and the dealer had put on a Nightstick slip on muffler and I am still using that.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Mac-427
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a noticeable increase in vibration on my 2016 FLD after my dealer installed a stock head pipe sans cat. The bike also runs a Vance and Hines slip on, a Screaming Eagle intake and is Power Vision tuned by the dealer. Performance markedly improved after the install and the tuning but the increased vibration was noticeable. I decided to try the clevis pin fix and it worked. Vibration is cut by 50 percent and I'm happy.