Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary grind plate

Old 06-18-2017, 03:00 AM
canyoncritter
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Primary grind plate

So ive got some good grinding going on the outter primary cover from railing corners. Figure before I end up with a hole in it id look in to keeping it from happening.
. So anybody come up with something theyd like to share?
Allready running 13.5 rear shocks and im a scrawny **** at 160,so it not like my weight is slaming the bike,centrifugal forces that might be another story.
bikes a 02 fxd
thanks

Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well in racing/railing 160 pounds isn't light.
I'm retired from Pro racing and have built a FXDX that rails, she's a beast.
So, my experience, you need to be more careful, there's too much leverage at that point and you will spill. But, if you want insurance, other than relying on knee pads for feel, you can use kevlar or nylon from the lower frame to act as a first barrier. Be careful though, attach it so a hit doesn't rip it off and that you don't create a lower fulcrum, or you will spill.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 730 Likes on 502 Posts

If I were a psychic I would say "I sense danger in your future".

Post a pic or two of this grinding action, I sense something else will happen before you grind your way through.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

If you ride that aggressively you should look into upgrading the front suspension too.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nevil
If you ride that aggressively you should look into upgrading the front suspension too.
Yeah. I went with wide glide tubes in the front and cartridges and I hardly scrape pegs anymore. It's about perfect for me and uses the full range of the tires without scraping anything.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

if you are grinding the primary case as a result of your normal riding, then you are just a few millimeters away from disaster when you lose traction on your rear tire...upgrade your suspension or get a Sporty or a good sport bike designed to ride that aggressively...

just my dos centavos...

Old 06-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 489 Likes on 328 Posts

I ride my modded dyna hard too.... I get it.... I thought this was gonna be a big dude on a stock dyna thinking he is fast dragging hard parts thread. But its not and you are running it hard. Youre on the wrong bike..... Dragging the primary regularly on rides is a recipe for hurt. A plate just makes it happen earlier and raise the tires up earlier.... The right bike for the job or a different take on body positioning. Good luck, u sound like the kinda giy Id get along just fine with

Old 06-20-2017, 01:24 AM
canyoncritter
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What next going to tell me, im the only one who grinds pegs on the freeway with the tach at a meger 5800 in 5th while lane splitting a pair of big rigs? Kidding
grind plate, guess thst is a horrid thought,pendlum effect that much quicker.

its not like I do it every corner just out and about,happens time to time when having fun,or thinking I seen the ex trying to go for a ride again.thats one was a worse ideal than the grind plate lol. But she did come in handy when the starter clutch broke.

. Bike actually use to be set up with wide forks when I got it with 12 inch shocks, it was a better ride clicking miles on the highway,but not as nimple to me.

when most the people I know are 200+ ,at 160 I feel like a scrawny runt.

. Truth is I proably do need to ease up a little and smell the flowers before I end up with them thrown at me.
. Front end upgrade coming soon, first got to figure if I want to keep the 39 narrow, go plus 2 to bring up to dx height,leave heightor 49mm mid glide, and some anderati carts regardless and 13.75_14. Shocks. Or keep at 13.5s so I can keep the passenger pegs.

. Or listien to my buddy and get a gf to ride backpack so she can grab my uh hum rip cord to remind me to slow down.

not really a whellie stunt guy,stupid as sounds coming.out of my mouth, affraid to brake the case mount.
. Dont do drugs anymore,got bored of drag cars,all local off roadings done been closed off,built on. Bikes kinda my aderlian rush fun thing.

. Sport bike,id go broke on track fees and catch that charlie sheen tigers milk diseas from the sport bike hoochies ,or just plain out die.like steve irwin but from a african bee threw the eye at warp speed.

. truthfully thought about a snortin sporty as a hotrod, but that will be a minute down the road, insurance and dmv poor as it is.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 AM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a Dyna built for extreme cornering.
Sport suspension front and rear.
Kevlar brakes
Seat low as it can go, no foam.
Mid controls
Front is braced.
And the rider is in top condition.

Attached Thumbnails Primary grind plate-fxdx7x.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 04:21 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 437 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by canyoncritter
What next going to tell me, im the only one who grinds pegs on the freeway with the tach at a meger 5800 in 5th while lane splitting a pair of big rigs? Kidding
grind plate, guess thst is a horrid thought,pendlum effect that much quicker.

its not like I do it every corner just out and about,happens time to time when having fun,or thinking I seen the ex trying to go for a ride again.thats one was a worse ideal than the grind plate lol. But she did come in handy when the starter clutch broke.

. Bike actually use to be set up with wide forks when I got it with 12 inch shocks, it was a better ride clicking miles on the highway,but not as nimple to me.

when most the people I know are 200+ ,at 160 I feel like a scrawny runt.

. Truth is I proably do need to ease up a little and smell the flowers before I end up with them thrown at me.
. Front end upgrade coming soon, first got to figure if I want to keep the 39 narrow, go plus 2 to bring up to dx height,leave heightor 49mm mid glide, and some anderati carts regardless and 13.75_14. Shocks. Or keep at 13.5s so I can keep the passenger pegs.

. Or listien to my buddy and get a gf to ride backpack so she can grab my uh hum rip cord to remind me to slow down.

not really a whellie stunt guy,stupid as sounds coming.out of my mouth, affraid to brake the case mount.
. Dont do drugs anymore,got bored of drag cars,all local off roadings done been closed off,built on. Bikes kinda my aderlian rush fun thing.

. Sport bike,id go broke on track fees and catch that charlie sheen tigers milk diseas from the sport bike hoochies ,or just plain out die.like steve irwin but from a african bee threw the eye at warp speed.

. truthfully thought about a snortin sporty as a hotrod, but that will be a minute down the road, insurance and dmv poor as it is.

You just need to buy a Kawasaki mate.....

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (06-24-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Primary grind plate