Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low rider vs Streetbob ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 PM
R_moore80
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low rider vs Streetbob ?

Iv grown up racing dirt bikes but now that I'm 20 and not racing much I feel like it's finally time for the dream dyna iv always seen rolling around here. The thing is I know just about nothing about Harley's and I need some help choosing the right bike...
I want mag wheels (lowrider) but I want a black motor(streetbob), I like how a streetbob is taller so I can lean more but I like the fender on a low rider. I also like the dual brake up front, Either way I'm looking for a bike newer then 2010 with less then 20k miles.
How much would it be to powdercoat a motor? Would it be cheaper to put mags on a streetbob? Either way I'll most likely get some aftermarket shocks to make the bike taller so I don't think that factor matters!

Old 07-17-2017, 10:57 PM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Both the street bob and lowrider have mid pegs which is what you usually scrape first. The ground clearance difference is only 0.5". I rarely scrape peg and I rail pretty hard.

Here are the reasons I bought the lowrider over the street bob
A) Passenger pegs and seat are $$$$ - can't take chicks for rides without them
B) As you mentioned, the Lowrider has dual front brakes...this is MUCH better than the single front brake on the street bob. I would never own a 650# motorcycle with a single front brake. I ride a passenger a lot which makes the dual fronts even more important...although she recently got her own bike/endorsement haha.
C) 15+ Lowrider has the mild HO cams which combined with a full system, intake and power commander is pretty easy to get 90+ horsepower at the rear tire.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

I went through the same dilemma.

I chose street bob.

1. Black engine
2. I didn't like the light inside the fender.
3. Wanted the most basic platform since I was planning to mod everything. Honestly most of the stock parts are junk, seat, shocks, etc. Your gonna change those out at some point.
4. Wanted the most nimble city bar hopper dyna. That skinny front wheel does the trick.
5. Wasn't too worried about single disc. Instead I opted for abs. I do hard braking and ride sport bikes also...the system is very adequate for daily riding and emergency stops which I've enountered. Abs prob saved me.

what I did after was just put a passenger pilon that is removable for passenger and pegs. That's easy enough if you need 2up and it's cheap.

I wanted mags so bad. I hate spokes. So that's my next upgrade. That's gonna be much cheaper than trying to back out my whole engine if I got low rider.

why not jump up to a low rider s? That's murdered out black.

Last edited by bigbadpoppa; 07-17-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:55 PM
R_moore80
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshFXDL
Both the street bob and lowrider have mid pegs which is what you usually scrape first. The ground clearance difference is only 0.5". I rarely scrape peg and I rail pretty hard.

Here are the reasons I bought the lowrider over the street bob
A) Passenger pegs and seat are $$$$ - can't take chicks for rides without them
B) As you mentioned, the Lowrider has dual front brakes...this is MUCH better than the single front brake on the street bob. I would never own a 650# motorcycle with a single front brake. I ride a passenger a lot which makes the dual fronts even more important...although she recently got her own bike/endorsement haha.
C) 15+ Lowrider has the mild HO cams which combined with a full system, intake and power commander is pretty easy to get 90+ horsepower at the rear tire.
I didn't even think about the bitch pegs! So how much is it to black out a motor?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:50 AM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by R_moore80
I didn't even think about the bitch pegs! So how much is it to black out a motor?
Not much, I would do it myself

Old 07-18-2017, 01:13 AM
VoiceofReason44
Road Master
Received 277 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by R_moore80
Iv grown up racing dirt bikes but now that I'm 20 and not racing much I feel like it's finally time for the dream dyna iv always seen rolling around here. The thing is I know just about nothing about Harley's and I need some help choosing the right bike...
I want mag wheels (lowrider) but I want a black motor(streetbob), I like how a streetbob is taller so I can lean more but I like the fender on a low rider. I also like the dual brake up front, Either way I'm looking for a bike newer then 2010 with less then 20k miles.
How much would it be to powdercoat a motor? Would it be cheaper to put mags on a streetbob? Either way I'll most likely get some aftermarket shocks to make the bike taller so I don't think that factor matters!
FXDLS. Toss on some 13.5" rear shocks. You can get them on eBay pretty cheap. The bike is already murdered out. You can swap the rear fender out pretty cheap too, as the FXDLS comes with a bobbed fender. Dual front brakes and mag wheels.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:15 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I own a Street Bob, love it. I think the lowrider is a better bike overall.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

In the Dyna family, I have had a Streetbob, then a Fatbob, now a Lowrider S. Each one was progressively better than the last.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Blacking the engine you have two options.

Spray paint. Very cheap. Maybe $50...lots of cleaning & masking to do even a half-*** in-frame job.

Powder coat. Requires total drivetrain overhaul. If you do all the labor yourself, I would estimate $1000+. Gaskets, fluids, sealants, fasteners, cleaning, prep/strip, high temp masking, etc.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 559 Posts

I would have to agree with the Low Rider S suggestion. You get the blacked out engine, plus it's a 110 already, and the dual disk brakes. The rear fender is chopped from the previous models, but those gold wheels. It wouldn't be too much work to have them power coated to a different color if you don't like them though.

Quick Reply: Low rider vs Streetbob ?