Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:17 AM
Maughanaj
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb leaking

good afternoon,

my 01 dyna low rider continues to leak from the carb. Almost to the point where I just feel a new carb might be worth it. As soon as the fuel is supplied to the carb it starts to leak out of the top left hole(see picture). I've had the same problem before however I took the carb apart and cleaned it and changed the fuel valve in the float. Maybe I screwed it up. I don't know. Any help or advice as to what to look for when I pull the carb apart AGAIN. Or should I get a new one. If I get a new one what carb will be fit on here for a good price?

Old 09-14-2017, 02:32 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 233 Posts

Adjust the float per the tech manual? Any gas in the float?

Old 09-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Maughanaj
6th Gear

Gas is definitely in the float because it's over flowing and spilling out the top I think.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:28 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,297 Likes on 2,353 Posts

Have you turned off the petcock, run the carb dry, pulled the bowl and checked the little fuel inlet valve for debris in the orifice that fuel is coming into the carb. That little brass valve is raised and lowered by the float. If it isn't sealing tight the gas will keep flowing. Debris and varnish is your enemy.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:35 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,003 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Make sure you tank is venting properly.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 3,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Maughanaj
Gas is definitely in the float because it's over flowing and spilling out the top I think.
He meant IN the float itself. That'll keep it from raising and closing the port.
It could be grit in the port preventing it from seating. The float could need adjusting. Could just need cleaning.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:51 PM
Maughanaj
6th Gear

Ok so I pulled the carb off and adjusted the float to 10.5 cm. Put the carb on the bike, with a tank of 3 gallons, fuel is spilling consistently out of the top left hole still. I'm going to take it off again, readjust the float to 11.5cm and make sure everything is clean. If this doesn't work what is the next step? Honestly, I want to throw it in the garbage because I've been dealing with it for over a year.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Maughanaj
Ok so I pulled the carb off and adjusted the float to 10.5 cm. Put the carb on the bike, with a tank of 3 gallons, fuel is spilling consistently out of the top left hole still. I'm going to take it off again, readjust the float to 11.5cm and make sure everything is clean. If this doesn't work what is the next step? Honestly, I want to throw it in the garbage because I've been dealing with it for over a year.
might be worth it just to rebuild the carb at this point. It sounds like the float needs to be replaced but I usually just rebuild em while I'm in there. I don't work on carbs often but the over fueling issues I've seen were due to a bad float, replaced it and no further problems.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:57 PM
DivineDark
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Have you checked to make sure the float is sealing when it's pushed all the way up? Just take the bowl off of the carb and see if pushing the float up stops the flow of fuel. If it doesn't, then adjusting the float isn't going to help. Probably need a carb rebuild kit.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:59 PM
Maughanaj
6th Gear

Originally Posted by DivineDark
Have you checked to make sure the float is sealing when it's pushed all the way up? Just take the bowl off of the carb and see if pushing the float up stops the flow of fuel. If it doesn't, then adjusting the float isn't going to help. Probably need a carb rebuild kit.

All the little parts in there are all new. Bought a carb rebuild kit. Gonna open it up again and see it f maybe I missed some dirt or something that would stop it from closing. I'll update in a couple days. I appreciate all the inputs.

Quick Reply: Carb leaking