Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bob vs Bob

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:32 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
that's what i said. read to understand, not to bicker.
Neither bike has sharp angles

left and right.. there is a world outside this forum.
Also there is one inside your head
is that right?
Yes, that's right. If I remember right you yourself attempted the same thing. If not look around.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:38 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

BTW Cvaria, put that "fugly bike" signature back on.

You need some self pitty right now

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 11:38 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by OddJack
Neither bike has sharp angles
something is wrong with your vision

Also there is one inside your head
i guess you are right...

Yes, that's right. If I remember right you yourself attempted the same thing. If not look around.
i never did and never wanted to. most want the tach off the tank.
BTW Cvaria, put that "fugly bike" signature back on.

You need some self pitty right now
i didnt remove it. seems to come and go as it sees fit.

Last edited by cvaria; 10-08-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:59 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

I don`t like the textured bars either, looks cheap. Seeing how these new softail frames are alike, except for maybe the neck, I wonder if you could install a 2018 low rider 5 gallon tank onto the 2018 SB? The mounting points should line up. Hmmmm

Old 10-09-2017, 01:15 PM
freebaggin
Tourer
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

Boy oh boy, why is nobody talking about this knock knock knock on these 107 engines?
Maybe because this is the Dyna forum and Dyna's dont use M8 107's.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:55 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I'm no friend to the M8 design principles, but...

Vibration can occur at any frequency.

Not sure where you found your definition...

Definition of vibration
1 a :a periodic motion of the particles of an elastic body or medium in alternately opposite directions from the position of equilibrium when that equilibrium has been disturbed (as when a stretched cord produces musical tones or molecules in the air transmit sounds to the ear)

Vibration is a mechanical phenomenon whereby oscillations occur about an equilibrium point. The word comes from Latin vibrationem ("shaking, brandishing"). The oscillations may be periodic, such as the motion of a pendulum—or random, such as the movement of a tire on a gravel road.

Vibration can be desirable: for example, the motion of a tuning fork, the reed in a woodwind instrument or harmonica, a mobile phone, or the cone of a loudspeaker.

In many cases, however, vibration is undesirable, wasting energy and creating unwanted sound. For example, the vibrational motions of engines, electric motors, or any mechanical device in operation are typically unwanted. Such vibrations could be caused by imbalances in the rotating parts, uneven friction, or the meshing of gear teeth. Careful designs usually minimize unwanted vibrations.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:13 PM
dgbmvb
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tank, pipes and gaitors on the new bike spoil it

Old 10-09-2017, 05:28 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default M8 Noise

I took an 18 Fat Bob for a demo ride a couple of weeks ago. The main thing I came away with was I might be able to get used to the noise the engine made, but it's kind of iffy.

I wouldn't describe it as a knock knock, but it sounded to me like it had some bad bearings in the bottom end. One of the Harley guys there said it was the balancers. It could be. All I know is if one of my bikes sounded like that I would be very concerned.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:56 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

The balancers are gear drive. Straight cut gears. There is going to be some gear noise and lash. This might be the source of the "knock knock".

Those balancers are completely wrong-headed from my perspective. If MoCo wanted a smoother engine, they should have altered the V angle and crank geometry, not add mass and unnecessary complexity. I bet an M8 with a basic evo-style crankcase would be a MONSTER. Of course, it would still be a paint shaker...and the focus group idiots said that was BAAD. :/

Old 10-09-2017, 09:45 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior

Want to call it knock knock or whatever you like, I call it the fake vibration.

It's all by design.

The Milwaukee-Eight is counterbalanced. The balance factor, for the nerds among us, is 75 percent. Bozmoski explained that non-native Harley riders seemed to like things smoother than their bar-and-shield brethren, but when the engines were completely balanced, The Faithful didn’t like it one bit. At this juncture, I think I should mention that I think Bozmoski was neurotic about this point; he’s a former NVH guy.

“Harley riders like the bikes to shake a little bit and put on a show at the stoplight,” he explained.
Our test bikes were very mellow. The mirrors shook a little at idle, but that was about as dramatic as it got. Bozmoski says the counterbalancer smooths low-engine-speed vibration, typically under 1,800 rpm or so. Rubber-mounting the engine comes into play for the higher rpm vibrations. This two-pronged approach to dealing with vibration works! This is the smoothest Harley Big Twin I’ve ever felt, and I bet our readers say the exact same thing.

That's Bozmoski, chief HD engineer.

https://shop.revzilla.com/common-tre...ilwaukee-eight

So, Cvaria, after you got your M8 you can still put up a show at the stoplight. All you need is adding some sharp angles and you're good to go

Last edited by OddJack; 10-09-2017 at 09:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Crmx (10-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Bob vs Bob