Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about DK customs thunder torque inserts

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:38 PM
user 8382390
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about DK customs thunder torque inserts

I have a 2015 wide glide that I installed a Dk bobber air cleaner and cycle shack slip ons with the baffles still installed. As expected I developed decel pop immediately. I installed the X ides from Dk and this almost eliminated it but it gets noticeably worse as the engine gets warmer.

To try and eliminate it completely I just bought a set of thunder torque inserts. The install instructions are clear enough BUT I have a few questions of those who are using them. Baffles -leave in or remove?
The instructions say best results when on stalled within 2 inches of the end of the pipe.using the baffle holes.....my baffle mount holes are at least 6 inches inside the pipe. - that seems a bit far in even if I could reach in that far to set them. Anyone delt with this set up?
I'm just looking for the end best results to eliminate decel pop.
Could be I will have to experiment but your experiences will help.
Oh yeah...don't suggest a tuner. I will go back stock before I do that.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (12-27-2017)
Old 12-26-2017, 11:38 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

decel pop can come also from air leaks around the header pipe/ muffler area,, x ides wont elimanate it ,well your ****ED then if you dont want too go the tuner route hhhaa

Last edited by loopie; 12-26-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:10 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Widm118
I have a 2015 wide glide that I installed a Dk bobber air cleaner and cycle shack slip ons with the baffles still installed. As expected I developed decel pop immediately. I installed the X ides from Dk and this almost eliminated it but it gets noticeably worse as the engine gets warmer.

To try and eliminate it completely I just bought a set of thunder torque inserts. The install instructions are clear enough BUT I have a few questions of those who are using them. Baffles -leave in or remove?
The instructions say best results when on stalled within 2 inches of the end of the pipe.using the baffle holes.....my baffle mount holes are at least 6 inches inside the pipe. - that seems a bit far in even if I could reach in that far to set them. Anyone delt with this set up?

Decel popping and burbling is caused by fresh air entering the exhaust system mixing with unburnt fuel coming out of the engine under off throttle situations; when the air/fuel ratio is right the fuel burns off in the hot pipe. The typical fix is to prevent reversion of fresh air in to the system and to add fuel to the mixture off throttle to alter the AFR within the hot pipe preventing it from burning off.

The TTI's are designed help prevent the reversion of fresh air entering the exhaust, increase exhaust gas velocity, and help improve the low and mid range performance. Which TTI's did you pick up? W158's or W258's? W158's are 1 5/8" in diameter and W258's are 2 5/8" in diameter. If the TTI's are too small for the exhaust they won't be as effective in preventing reversion. Also, with them positioned as recommended by DK Custom they will be more effective in preventing reversion.

With your baffle mounting holes positioned so deep within the slip-on's you may find you'll get better results by drilling new mounting holes for the TTI's to position them more toward the end of the exhaust. I've always preferred baffles out with TTI's; with baffles out and TTI's the exhaust tone was deeper with no bright overtones. If you do remove the baffles and mount the TTI's closer to the end of the exhaust block off the unused baffle mounting holes.

As loopie pointed out, be certain you don't have any other exhaust leaks; with properly sized TTI's positioned more toward the end of the exhaust the last step is to alter the off throttle fuel mixture. Are you still using the ViED's? If you are, start at 50% and tweak the percentages on the front and rear to find the sweet spot giving you the best reduction in decel popping and burbling.

Riding style can also add to decel popping and burbling; not quite letting off the throttle will increase the popping. Also, if your throttle cables are not adjusted properly or the throttle position sensor is out of adjustment you can have increased popping.

XiED's and ViED's should put enough fuel in to the off throttle mixture, with the TTI's properly sized and positioned you should be able to correct that annoying sound

W158 TTI's and baffles out on my BSS exhaust...

DK Custom - ST (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 AM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Widm118

Give us a call here at office and we will better be able to help you out.

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 12-27-2017, 12:49 PM
user 8382390
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks for the response Tin Cup

Thanks TK...I will go with your recommendations. I have the Xvieds you sent me..set at 75%. 2 inch exhaust pipes so I went with the 158s..no exhaust leaks. Not much popping but I want to see if I can get the burble you describe out. time to pull baffles.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:49 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Ordered inserts today
Ordered the 158's for my straight shots

DK Custom - ST (12-28-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 09:02 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,210 Likes on 743 Posts

I have them on my 07 Dyna (V&H Slip On's) and my Wife's 04 XLH 1200C (same V&H.) Removed the V&H baffles and made sure it was positioned to the proper depth. AWESOME!!!!! Eliminated all of my decel popping. IF you still have decel popping, forget the $$$$ tuners. Go to nightrider.com and invest $100-$150 for excited wires.

DK Custom - ST (12-28-2017)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:44 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Wasn't sure where to put this and didn't think it warranted its own thread so here ot it is...

I installed a set of W158 Thunder Torque Inserts in my Samson Street Sweeper clones today.

This is a stock internals 1999 Twin Cam with a Mikuni HSR42 and custom air cleaner similar to a DK 636V. Fully warmed up, mixture corrected, and idling at 1000 RPM.

The inserts are installed about 1" inside the turnout, centered inside the pipe, and oriented perpendicular to the long axis of the pipe with the tip of the "cone" pointing upstream. Typical install, I'd say.

I took these measurements with a calibrated mic from about 10' away on the exhaust side, directly across from the exhaust tips. The bike was sitting on its side stand in an open area to minimize echo and reverberation.

As you can see, the overall SPL (loudness) was reduced by about 6 dB. I can't remember what weighting curve I had set, but it was probably flat since I tend to use this mic and app for impromptu audio system tuning.

My impression of the sound is that it lost some higher pitched "bark" at roll-on and there was a reduction in low pitch reversion "echo" (kind of a flabby chuffing sound). To my ear, with these pipes, the tone isn't significantly lower but it is a bit cleaner or more refined sounding.

I can't really comment on how it affected power/torque as it's been over 2 years since I last rode the bike and I have changed so much on the bike since then.

Please keep in mind this is one sample on my specific setup and may not reflect your experience.

The following 3 users liked this post by cggorman:
DK Custom (10-09-2018), Protocol (10-09-2018), REW13 (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 07:50 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

My butt dyno says the pull is good.... Good graf cgor..

DK Custom (10-09-2018)