Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Speedo for FXDC

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM
JohnDoe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Speedo for FXDC

Hi,

I need your help.
I got a 2008 FXDC (Super Glide Custom) with the dash on the fuel tank. I don't like the white speedo so much. So my question: are there any black 5" speedos, that would fit and work electrically?

I already found out, that the Street Bob has the same speedo, but it's also white. I'm unsure, if other models fit. I read somewhere, some Road Kings should fit as well as some speedos from a Softail.

The original part number is 67096-04C.
My speedo has the following warning lights: engine, fuel, battery, 6th gear, cruise control, ABS and immobilizer.

I don't like the fancy aftermarket or accessories speedos. I like the original look, but in black.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails Black Speedo for FXDC-dash.jpg  
Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

Totally get where you're coming from. Cant see the numbers properly in daylight and the dial lighting in it is horrible. (There was a thread on how to change the LEDs for better lighting a while back.)

Only one I've seen is the HD analog/digital combo speedo. Has a black face.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:05 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

At one time there were a few places that sold dial faces.
Some folks got american flags or other designs.
It required owner to open speedometer carefully, remove old face plate, put new one on and then close the unit by bending chrome lip shut.
If you are a DIY type of person it would be the least expensive way to go.
Google Harley speedometer face change or similar. You tube is a good learning tool also.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:59 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

There are some sites that will set you up with a completely custom dash insert, but you have to take the speedo apart. Gravestarr Customs is one of them, and he has LOTS of styles to choose from. However, I believe that my stock speedo on my '13 FXDC has a dark/black background. Not sure if that helps, but you might look at other models or see if someone wants to swap their darker speedo with you for your lighter one.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:26 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnDoe
Hi,

I need your help.
I got a 2008 FXDC (Super Glide Custom) with the dash on the fuel tank. I don't like the white speedo so much. So my question: are there any black 5" speedos, that would fit and work electrically?

I already found out, that the Street Bob has the same speedo, but it's also white. I'm unsure, if other models fit. I read somewhere, some Road Kings should fit as well as some speedos from a Softail.

The original part number is 67096-04C.
My speedo has the following warning lights: engine, fuel, battery, 6th gear, cruise control, ABS and immobilizer.

I don't like the fancy aftermarket or accessories speedos. I like the original look, but in black.

Thanks for your help.
Did you find one? I found a couple, but they aren't cheap.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Elect...xZ1nN~&vxp=mtr
If you're gonna pay that much for it, though, you might as well go with one like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAKOTA-DIGI...FafvMr&vxp=mtr

What I want to know, though, is where I can get the dash panel that your speedo fits in that's black like yours. I find the ones like the Softail one that has one mount screw in the middle, but not ones with the two mount screws on the sides, like yours. Of course, I'd also like to change out the switch to a black one, too, but I've already found that for about $23.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:33 AM
JohnDoe
Intermediate

Thanks for your post and the ideas.
I found out, that I could use a black speedo from a Softail Standard the same year as mine. It has the same optic as mine, but is black.
I don't like those fancy digital instruments.

My dash panel is the stock one - just powder coated in wrinkle black for about $50. It is original chrome on my 2008 FXDC.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Be careful if you're thinking about using second-hand speedos pulled from other bikes. I recall that on the later electronic ones, their odometers etc 'marry' to the bike they're first used on, and can't be used on another bike.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Thank God. I thought this thread was about this:

Old 03-09-2018, 01:18 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,125 Posts

This ended up being the solution to the white dial face on my 2009 FXDC speedometer

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 AM
JohnDoe
Intermediate

@Davdoodles: thanks for the advice. I will buy a new one, also for the opportunity to get the mileage adjusted.

@TriGeezer: thanks for the picture

@Mallard Slayer: looks good, but I like it more "old school".

Quick Reply: Black Speedo for FXDC