Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruined clutch cable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:12 AM
SenorCollin
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Ruined clutch cable?

So I come here with a bit of an embarrassing problem...

The other night, I realized my brake light was stuck on. So I found some trouble shooting videos, and long story short and a significant amount of frustration later, none of them helped. Then after I pulled my front brake lever to check the switch, I found that my lever was messed up, not quite sure how this happened but the tab that is supposed to make contact with the brake switch is nowhere to be found.

Weird.

Great, I have an excuse to get black levers! So I ordered some Blade levers from Lowbrow customs (which are awesome, no goofy ball at the end of the lever). After reading countless stories of people ruining their brake switch when switching installing their levers and whatnot, I was concerned about doing that myself. But huzzah, I managed to not kill the switch and my brake light is functioning correctly again since the new brake lever hasn't spontaneously fallen apart.

I move on to the clutch lever, which I was not at all worried about because I considered it to be the easy part. While cruising along on auto pilot, when I went to lengthen the clutch cable (magnum shielding) to get slack I tightened it probably 5 or so turns instead before realizing that I was going the wrong damn direction. I didn't hear any snapping noise or anything of that nature, just a clutch lever that wouldn't move. Oops, but I didn't think anything of it and loosened everything up and swapped out the levers. When going to tighten things up again, I can get the cable to have the proper amount of play, but I cannot get the lever to pull back beyond halfway and something is definitely wrong.

When I tightened it by accident, is it likely that I totally f'd up the cable beyond repair? Does anyone have any sort of trouble shooting ideas before I drop money on another pricey magnum shielding clutch cable? Any help is appreciated, try not to be too abusive of my dumb *** turning the wrench the wrong way... it's been a long day and I was hoping to have the bike up and running to get to work tomorrow, now I'll have to drive my car instead like almost every other hive minded zealot heading to work.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:11 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Could the cable end (in the trans) have become dislodged?

Old 09-13-2018, 11:44 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Very doubtful you can trash a cable that easily. Check to see if the ***** in the actuator ramp are in place.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:35 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

If you have to replace the clutch cable here's how I did it some years ago...

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Did a clutch cable swap last week. Due to the Easy pull clutch kit I had to take out the snap ring with a pair of snap ring pliers:

When installing the new clutch cable into the cover be careful not to damage the threads in the clutch release cover. Here's how I managed to get in the clutch cable without any problems:

1. I hung the clutch cable from the ceiling in my garage using a string
2. Sat underneath it with the clutch release cover between my knees
3. Grabbed the threaded end of the clutch cable, inserted the cable end into the threaded hole and positioned the cable in line with the cover
4. Once the two threaded parts get together, I first slowly turned the cable counter clockwise until I felt the threads falling together
5. From that point I slowly turned the cable's threaded end clockwise. When you don't feel any resistance you're OK!

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 04-25-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:43 PM
SenorCollin
Cruiser

Took things apart, the cable is still intact on the transmission end. Found some nasty surprises after opening it up though. There was some metal debris the looks like it might be the tips of snap ring pliers? not sure what else it would be, suggestions are welcomed. Also a random bit that I can't make sense of where it would have come from looking at diagrams.

Another bit hiding beneath the retaining ring

WHERE DID YOU COME FROM??

I'll have to resume this after work, was hoping to get it resolved this morning but it looks like I don't have the correct size snap ring plier.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 909 Posts

When I replaced my clutch cable I had a similar problem. I rechecked cable in the trans then went into primary and re adjusted clutch and all was good.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 AM
SenorCollin
Cruiser

It looks like my throwout bearing exploded, number 30 on this diagram:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....0SIDE%20COVERS

Interesting timing. Maybe the thing was already on its last breath and when I overtightened the cable it decided enough was enough? So once I replace that, go fishing for shrapnel/ flush my transmission, and button things back up... hopefully nothing ELSE is wrong with my bike.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:10 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Over tightened cable crushed throw out bearing.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:28 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbob2006
Over tightened cable crushed throw out bearing.
It would seem that way, but doesn't tightening the cable just have the same effect as squeezing the clutch lever?

Old 09-15-2018, 06:08 PM
Kevin R
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
If you have to replace the clutch cable here's how I did it some years ago...
When I tried to install the easy pull clutch kit I did not like the way it changed the angle of how the clutch cable runs through the housing. It rubs on that corner. Have you noticed any adverse effect yet? Have you opened it back up and check it at all?
I didn't install it after seeing how it rubs. I wonder how long it will take to start wearing though bands on the cable?
It might be a non issue but I didn't like it.

Quick Reply: Ruined clutch cable?