Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear motor mount dyna wobble.possible engine alignment needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Rear motor mount dyna wobble.possible engine alignment needed

long story short my bike is an 09 dyna. Upgraded front and rear ohlins, jd fab tsport fairing, fresh tires(about 3k) bearings are in good condition. Also checked fallaway and adjusted accordingly at 10k miles (bike has 10,500 rn), and a predator front mount. I’ve always had a wobble around 95 100 mph (front gets uncomfortably unstable) with all these parts which leads me to believe my engine is out of alignment. My problem became exaggerated when I installed a chopper haus rear motor mount which I had to fight to install. Few months running the rear mount I just recently decided I didn’t like it because over bumps I would get a knocking as if something was hitting my cases. Removed rear mount and re installed my stock oem mount come to look the tab on the transmission where the rear motor bolts to has shifted about 3/8in towards the primary side causing the mount to not line up with the holes in the swingarm where it bolts up too. Is this a dead giveaway that my motor is out of alignment?

Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Nobody? My tank is off to where I can adjust which way the motor sits in the engine and I’d hate to put it back because draining the tank is a pain in the ***

Old 09-23-2018, 10:54 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 651 Posts

loosen the bolts to the front mount, including the center bolt, and then do an alignment when you get the rear one in. Do the alignment with everything loose and follow what your manual says

Old 09-23-2018, 11:30 AM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 555 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynaglide92
Nobody? My tank is off to where I can adjust which way the motor sits in the engine and I’d hate to put it back because draining the tank is a pain in the ***
Quick disconnect can remedy this.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:58 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Yup!

I can't imagine having to drain my tank every time I want to take it off.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Originally Posted by F86
Yup!

I can't imagine having to drain my tank every time I want to take it off.

I like this do you have a parts list I forgot what the ID is for the hose

Old 09-24-2018, 10:19 AM
k-weaver
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

long story short my bike is an 09 dyna. Upgraded front and rear ohlins, jd fab tsport fairing, fresh tires(about 3k) bearings are in good condition. Also checked fallaway and adjusted accordingly at 10k miles (bike has 10,500 rn), and a predator front mount. I’ve always had a wobble around 95 100 mph (front gets uncomfortably unstable) with all these parts which leads me to believe my engine is out of alignment. My problem became exaggerated when I installed a chopper haus rear motor mount which I had to fight to install. Few months running the rear mount I just recently decided I didn’t like it because over bumps I would get a knocking as if something was hitting my cases. Removed rear mount and re installed my stock oem mount come to look the tab on the transmission where the rear motor bolts to has shifted about 3/8in towards the primary side causing the mount to not line up with the holes in the swingarm where it bolts up too. Is this a dead giveaway that my motor is out of alignment?
Get up to speed (maybe around 40) on a nice paved straight road and pull your hands off the bars. Does the bike track straight? If it does, probably not an alignment problem. If it pulls one way or the other it probably needs an alignment.

If everything is already apart you can check alignment with a digital (or analog) angle finder. Get the bikes horizontal plane zero'd out then check the vertical on the back tire (brake rotor). Should be 90 degrees when the horizontal plane is level. Keep in mind most gauges found on amazon/ebay will have a + - .2 degree. In other words, if you measure at the rotor and it says 89.8 it very well could be fine.

Bad neck bearings, improper tire inflation, and a cupped front tire will also cause the symptoms you are describing.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:39 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

I like this do you have a parts list I forgot what the ID is for the hose
The crossover is 1/4" ID. My valve is from Goodridge, but other companies make them as well.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

accidental post

Old 09-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Originally Posted by k-weaver
Get up to speed (maybe around 40) on a nice paved straight road and pull your hands off the bars. Does the bike track straight? If it does, probably not an alignment problem. If it pulls one way or the other it probably needs an alignment.

If everything is already apart you can check alignment with a digital (or analog) angle finder. Get the bikes horizontal plane zero'd out then check the vertical on the back tire (brake rotor). Should be 90 degrees when the horizontal plane is level. Keep in mind most gauges found on amazon/ebay will have a + - .2 degree. In other words, if you measure at the rotor and it says 89.8 it very well could be fine.

Bad neck bearings, improper tire inflation, and a cupped front tire will also cause the symptoms you are describing.
tires are checked atleast twice a week because pirelli night dragons tend wear out quicker if not kept properly inflated. Neck bearings seemed fine when I did my fall away there was still a lot of grease in them as well because they threw off my readings a couple of times during the fall away test. Tires only have 3k on them as well.

come to think of it my bike always tracked slightly to the left with no hands that may be why my rear motor mount transmission tab was not aligned with holes in the swingarm

Quick Reply: Rear motor mount dyna wobble.possible engine alignment needed