Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:23 PM
neverstockjp
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front suspension upgrade

‘16 streetbob
Hi guys
i think it’s time for cartridges and springs change out,
what brand you recommend or should be avoided ?
mostly ride to work about 30miles trip and cruise around town nothing more than 100miles trip. I upgraded rear with Progressive 490 12.5” and I really noticed a big difference from stock garbage shocks.

Last edited by neverstockjp; 11-10-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:52 PM
Dyna100
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm very happy with Race Tech cartridge emulators, stock springs and ported damping rods. My stock springs are dual rate and work well. Pretty sure your springs are dual rate also.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:11 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Off topic. How do you like the BMC seat?
Bike looks good

Old 11-10-2018, 09:22 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I really never see people who dislike the particular suspension upgrade they chose.

In many cases, you get what you pay for. A bit more money gets you a bit more performance/quality...up to a point. I'd guess around $1000 is where you start seeing diminishing returns.

You can spend $20 on a different oil weight all the way up to a $4000 inverted cartridge setup...

What's your budget?
Simple drop-in or more extensive?
What are your goals?

Read this: http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/dk-c...s-tst-rp-i.htm

Last edited by cggorman; 11-10-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:37 PM
neverstockjp
Advanced

Originally Posted by REW13
Off topic. How do you like the BMC seat?
Bike looks good
thanks
Seat was hard at the beginning but softened up shortly after. totally loving it

Old 11-10-2018, 09:42 PM
neverstockjp
Advanced

Originally Posted by cggorman
I really never see people who dislike the particular suspension upgrade they chose.

In many cases, you get what you pay for. A bit more money gets you a bit more performance/quality...up to a point. I'd guess around $1000 is where you start seeing diminishing returns.

You can spend $20 on a different oil weight all the way up to a $4000 inverted cartridge setup...

What's your budget?
Simple drop-in or more extensive?
What are your goals?

Read this: http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/dk-c...s-tst-rp-i.htm
budget is $1000 at the most
im hoping to do just a drop, something I can do myself in other words. And by the sounds of it anything can be better than stock, I find my stock suspension too soft and won’t go back up fully and a bit to saggy

Old 11-10-2018, 10:00 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by neverstockjp

budget is $1000 at the most
im hoping to do just a drop, something I can do myself in other words. And by the sounds of it anything can be better than stock, I find my stock suspension too soft and won’t go back up fully and a bit to saggy
I'm not trying to talk you out of doing anything, but have you ever properly set sag? That's usually a good first step, and costs nothing (unless you pay someone else to do it, but it's not expensive). It certainly won't be the same as drop in cartridges, but properly set sag, a slightly heavier oil, and possibly a set of emulators might solve the issues you're describing.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:07 PM
neverstockjp
Advanced

I will definitely look into it thanks for input

Old 11-10-2018, 10:53 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer

Originally Posted by neverstockjp

‘16 streetbob
Hi guys
i think it’s time for cartridges and springs change out,
what brand you recommend or should be avoided ?
mostly ride to work about 30miles trip and cruise around town nothing more than 100miles trip. I upgraded rear with Progressive 490 12.5” and I really noticed a big difference from stock garbage shocks.
Nice lookin bike. I bought Ohlins 30 mm fork cartidge kit from Howard at MotorcycleMetal.com in 2009 and got rid of the Racetech emulators I had. The Ohlins have been a big improvement. I just rode from Ft. Lauderdale to Atlanta in a day- 12 hrs- and didn't feel fatigue. The suspension makes that much difference. A few years ago, when I was younger and more brash, I hooked up with a couple of Triumph Triple riders on Tale of the Dragon in North Carolina. They were in full racing leathers and by the look of their pads, they had spent a lot of time pushing their bikes to the limits on the twisties. We rode for a few hours together on back roads in Western North Carolina, and I kept up with them with no problem- other than my sphincter got a work out. I'm not a racer- no training and no experience- but I road a Dyna like it was a true sport bike, and it was because of the suspension. I have also put dual front brakes on the bike and decreased the unsprung weight by about 30 pounds, and that has something to do with the handling. So does the TrueTrack to stiffen the frame a bit. But the suspension was a very worthwhile investment. A little north of $1,000 (not much though), but I would recommend looking into it. If you're looking for a better ride for comfort, safety and performance, take a look at MotorcycleMetal.com website. My bike is on it in the section about dual front brakes, if you want to see the suspension. Best of luck. Jay

Old 11-11-2018, 08:30 AM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 763 Likes on 631 Posts

Giid reads so far..

Sag? Describe yours, curious about what other people like in their rides

Quick Reply: Front suspension upgrade