Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low end torque upgrades sprocket?big bore?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:56 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 744 Posts

2007 Dyna FXDB, 98,000 miles - SE-255 cams, EFI to CV-40 conversion, V&H slipon's, baffles removed and DK Custom Torque Thunder baffles in it. Just treated it to an AMS BIG TORQUE PORK 105 kit (KB Forged 10:1 pistons. Still breaking it in, but all I can say is WOW!!!!! TONS of low end torque . . . TONS of mid-range torque! VERY HAPPY with the combination.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:16 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I changed out the front sprocket on my last bike (Liter bike), and it was night and day different in how hard it launched. One of the best, and cheapest, mods I ever did.

Downside is you're trading top end speed. So on the freeway you're RPMs will be up a little higher to do the same speed. Also messed with the speedo but I'm not sure how it is with Harleys so verify that.

Those guy who manage to get their Harleys to do a 90 degree wheelie, it's in the gearing not the engine. I would start with the sprockets, they're a lot less expensive. Look into different combinations to get the ratio you're looking for. If you find you don't like it you can just swap it back.

BTW since we're on it if I recall you want to be sure you buy new bolts and a high quality sprocket, lot of torque going through those, don't cut corners on it. Wasn't too long ago someone ripped their rear sprocket in half on here.

The following 2 users liked this post by CaptainAwesome:
Chicago Ken (11-23-2018), PWMORRIS (11-19-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member
Received 729 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Guild
If you only want some more grab on the low end and do mostly highway riding and want good mpg then do the final drive, the .030 gasket, and have the heads cleaned up with the combustion chambers measured then mill them to measure 84 cc. That'll get you to 9.49:1
If you want the 10:1 aggressive riding that drinks gas, then I'd do the 107 big bore with 3cc domed pistons, the final drive, the 0.030 gasket, and have the heads cleaned up with the combustion chambers measured then mill them to measure 86 cc. That'll get you to 10:1
Corrections on these:
If you only want some more grab on the low end and do mostly highway riding and want good mpg then do the final drive, the .030 gasket, and have the heads cleaned up with the combustion chambers measured then mill them to measure 84 cc. That'll get you to 9.49:1 corrected compression. That is the suggested max compression.
If you want the 10:1 aggressive riding that drinks gas, then I'd do the 107 big bore with 3cc domed pistons, the final drive, the 0.030 gasket, and have the heads cleaned up with the combustion chambers measured then mill them to measure 86 cc and add compression releases. That'll get you to 10:1 corrected compression which is drag racing level and past the suggested level from the manufacturer.
Also, be aware that if you up the compression with either of these you will have to do clutch work as well to handle the torque.