Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

goodbye SLT hello FLD

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:27 PM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts
Default goodbye SLT hello FLD

Said goodbye to my 17 SLT and said hello to 15 FLD today. Had the SLT set up for one up touring and really liked it for a number of reasons but just got tired of replacing rear tire every 5500 miles or so. Almost ready for 5th rear tire in 24K. PITA to have to worry about rubber so much. If I can just get 8-10k on rear I will be happy. So I got a deal I liked on the FLD with 4.5K on it and a Signature seat and road her home today. Who the heck decided to put the oil dipstick tight to an exhaust? Hope the seat is comfy enough not to have to worry about buying a new one. Let the game begin yet again. Supposed to be 65 and sunny tomorrow. What a coincidence.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

I think the switchback is a nice motorcycle, but they don't seem to get much love. I hope you enjoy it.

I'll bite, what's an SLT?

Old 02-04-2019, 09:12 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

I have a Switchback and a Superglide, I love the switchback and the best thing about Harley’s is that if you don’t like something you can just change it, there is so much support from both the company and the aftermarket and tech support on places like here etc.

Enjoy, but tire mileage is more on manufacturer, how you ride, having proper alignment and belt tension then the type of bike they are on.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:05 AM
kap1
Road Captain

SLT=Sportster Super Low Touring. I have been riding a good while and with everything adjusted correctly and darn near daily pressure checks I got consistent even tire wear but quick wear. Front lasted 2 rears easily. Stock Scorcher, PR4, PR5 and Stone T31 all handled great except Scorcher which wasn't terrible but the price was mileage. Size makes it difficult I think in selection-PR 5 only on rear no front in size used 4. I wanted to try Storm 3D (reputed higher mileage tire) but not available on last change which turned out to be the last change, literally for me. I corresponded with Bridgestone, fwiw, and they told me I should use a different tire but surprise it didn't come in the sizes. I am not an aggressive rider. My 1800GW and 1600 Nomad got around 8K on rear and I thought the SLT would do quite a bit better. I will miss the ease of servicing I am sure but that's life. The SLT was pretty good bang for the buck.I did a 4500 and a 3K trip that it did great on with a few 700+ mile days. Now it's on with a FLD. The passenger pegs come off before my ride today, lol. I have until April to get it set up for Spring trip. The 65-70 temp today is going to be a delight--no heated gear. Get to run down some familiar back country roads and see how it compares to the SLT. I am sure there are some things that I will miss. I'll get over it.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:56 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by kap1
SLT=Sportster Super Low Touring...............
Thanks.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:47 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

If you want really good mileage go dark side and put a car tire on the rear...will last the life of the bike ....

Old 02-06-2019, 03:18 AM
kap1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by crusader1xxx
If you want really good mileage go dark side and put a car tire on the rear...will last the life of the bike ....
Not for me but thanks. I have used a car tire on a bike in the past and I thought of it again but not for long. Just personal preference and I am sticking to it.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by kap1
Said goodbye to my 17 SLT and said hello to 15 FLD today. Had the SLT set up for one up touring and really liked it for a number of reasons but just got tired of replacing rear tire every 5500 miles or so. Almost ready for 5th rear tire in 24K. PITA to have to worry about rubber so much. If I can just get 8-10k on rear I will be happy. So I got a deal I liked on the FLD with 4.5K on it and a Signature seat and road her home today. Who the heck decided to put the oil dipstick tight to an exhaust? Hope the seat is comfy enough not to have to worry about buying a new one. Let the game begin yet again. Supposed to be 65 and sunny tomorrow. What a coincidence.
congrats on the new to you bike.. FLD is a great motorcycle

Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you'll like it.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:37 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Do you do a lot of hard engine braking? that's just as hard on the tires.

Quick Reply: goodbye SLT hello FLD