Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found an allllmost perfect bike except...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 01:32 PM
fxdx1985
Road Master
Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Found an allllmost perfect bike except...

As some know I lost my bike due to a fire stemming from a carb malfunction. I’m in the market for s new bike and I came across one that is 99% for me except, it has chain drive.

I know there’s a whole chain drive thread but it’s way too long. I’m curious about running a chain, but kind of a big risk purchase if it doesn’t suit me.

A couple of questions: how many miles are chains/sprockets lasting you fellas? I commute 100miles a day, I’m ok lubing and maintaining, but wondering how often I’ll have to be replacing parts.

Additionally, are people running passenger pegs? All the examples I see have them removed and some even have extra slider protection instead of pegs.

Thanks!

Old 02-16-2019, 02:39 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 798 Likes on 575 Posts

This Dyna is actually the first bike I've had that doesn't have a chain. In general, with good maintenance, you can get 12-15,000 miles from a chain. Of course, lighter chains or more powerful engines will get you less. I always replace the sprockets at the same time. They wear into the old chain and won't fit a new chain properly, resulting in less life from the new chain. Not worth the difference in cost, IMHO. There are a number of oilers you can get, some automatic (Scott oiler, Tutoro), others just more convenient that doing it by hand (Loobman). If you're doing 100 miles a day you're going to be looking at oiling it every 4 or 5 days.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:52 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx1985
As some know I lost my bike due to a fire stemming from a carb malfunction. I’m in the market for s new bike and I came across one that is 99% for me except, it has chain drive.

I know there’s a whole chain drive thread but it’s way too long. I’m curious about running a chain, but kind of a big risk purchase if it doesn’t suit me.

A couple of questions: how many miles are chains/sprockets lasting you fellas? I commute 100miles a day, I’m ok lubing and maintaining, but wondering how often I’ll have to be replacing parts.

Additionally, are people running passenger pegs? All the examples I see have them removed and some even have extra slider protection instead of pegs.

Thanks!
I remember your unfortunate fire, but I don't remember the outcome... Was it actually not worth putting back together? Did insurance total it? What is the potential new bike?

That fire situation was definitely scary...

Old 02-16-2019, 02:57 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx1985
...but kind of a big risk purchase if it doesn’t suit me...
Why would that be a BIG Risk? ... Assuming it's a bike (you posted in the Dyna section) that came originally with a belt, just change it back if it doesn't work out.

You did say ... 99% perfect for you

Old 02-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

I don’t think a chain would be a big issue it’s just something you have to get used too. As with all Harley’s if your really putting 500-750 miles a week a simple look around your bike every week should be mandatory.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,902 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Long time chain rider with a heavy throttle hand here's my advice, you keep the chain do your homework on what the most long lived sprockets & chain brands will be and NEVER go cheap. At a 100mi a day you'll chew through the less expensive stuff quick, even on my shovel I could go through 3 chains and 2 sets of sprockets a season doing the cheap stuff. Tsubaki high end O-ring chains lasted me the longest I could get 20k but your looking at up to $250+ for one. Sprockets you'll have to research with the sport bike craze now I'm sure there's much better stuff available than when I ran them.

With a good oring chain you'll be looking at adjusting weekly if you want max life out of things and lubing every 300-400mi. and use a high grade tacky or dry graphite lube over a lighter oil based, less mess. You will notice a slight vibration & whine at higher speeds with a chain over a belt. Watch the rear sprocket teeth, when the start getting a pointed tip and the pocket looks stretched to the front side it's replacement time otherwise wear accelerates quickly at this point and a busted chain is no joke if it decides to jam up in there, will break castings.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 02-16-2019 at 03:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (02-27-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:24 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Clean and relube the chain every 500 km or so
Check slack everytime you do clean

Long term, change the chain every 25-30K km

-not sure how this converts into miles

Your good to go. Nothing risky about having a chain. Just keep it lubed and cleaned. I'd be more interested what's in that engine that required the prior owner to go with a chain. I'm assuming it's a stage 2+ type of modification?

Old 02-16-2019, 03:27 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Yup, chains are great, as long as they don't develope 2 ends....

I've broke one chain. Ended up buying new center cases...

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (02-17-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 03:36 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Too old
too tight
too loose

those r the 3 culprits why a chain would break.

I have other sport bikes with chains in my garage, never broke one yet. Knock on wood.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,902 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
Too old
too tight
too loose

those r the 3 culprits why a chain would break.

I have other sport bikes with chains in my garage, never broke one yet. Knock on wood.
Sounds more like the three stages of ***** than a chain

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
emperor wurm (02-18-2019), fxdlx (02-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Found an allllmost perfect bike except...