Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind protection options

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 12:16 AM
dmonger
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts
Default wind protection options

Evening all,

So I have a 05 Wide Glide.Besides some annoying decisions made by the MOCO in regards to fitment of parts it's a great bike so far. The biggest issue I have is the wind. While I don't mind the wind itself, it pushes my helmet up and back and tries to pull my earbuds outta my ears which as I am sure you can guess it less than comfortable. The other issue is wind getting under my glasses and causing my eyes to water. I have tried the MS Road Warrior fairing which I love the look of, but it just pushed the wind straight into my helmet. I was looking at the MS Drop top fats windshield but some of the reviews on Revzilla say it's a waste of money. Does anyone here have any suggestion as to how to avoid wind buffeting or how to keep my helmet from pulling up with the wind? I apologize for the convoluted post but I am extremely tired but wanted to throw this up first.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:00 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 927 Posts

I run a windshield early spring and late fall. When I first put it on years back it would nearly nock my glasses off. I cut it down to nose level, played around with adjustments. Then I added the fork bag. The fork bag made a huge difference. Being 6ft tall with the rake of the wg I had to experiment. Still have a little buffering.

Last edited by Durham man; 05-02-2019 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Rewrite
The following 2 users liked this post by Durham man:
5500 (05-13-2019), Virginian (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Just waiting for the first buy a car comment,from a real he-man,in the mean time I've never has a wind shield(without lowers)solution that didn't buffet my head off,sorry not very helpful,but I think some soft of lower deflectors are probably essential,to stop buffeting.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:24 AM
dmonger
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
Just waiting for the first buy a car comment,from a real he-man,in the mean time I've never has a wind shield(without lowers)solution that didn't buffet my head off,sorry not very helpful,but I think some soft of lower deflectors are probably essential,to stop buffeting.
Oh yeah someone always has to be super biker and say some stupid ****.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:32 AM
FreedomRider
Road Master
Received 337 Likes on 241 Posts

When I ride without a windshield I wear a full face helmet, it does not feel like it's being sucked off my head and no watery eyes. Though it is full face … I use a Fulmer that the whole front flips up, makes it easier to talk to someone.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 AM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain
Received 526 Likes on 247 Posts

Lower Air Deflectors may help like Tnbrit said↑↑↑↑↑

Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

A different helmet and glasses will fix the parachuting and watery eyes. Zero buffeting, but obviously there is plenty of pressure on your chest. I don't mind it.

Proper fit is critical.

Half helmets are tricky. I use a full face on long highway runs.

For glasses I just use wraparound safety glasses. Cheap and effective.

Last edited by cggorman; 05-02-2019 at 07:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
5500 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 09:16 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,409 Likes on 2,961 Posts

OP~ There's a few things you can try.

Sounds to me like your helmet is loose fitting. Helmet padding "relaxes" after it's been worn/sweated in. You may need to replace some padding inside your helmet. Loose fitting helmets don't work very well. Try a tighter fitting helmet if no other recourse.
Next, you might try a product by Laminar Lip. www.laminarlip.com

Now, on to your glasses. You need glasses that vent enough to eliminate fogging, but not so much that your eyes cry during wind/dust events. You may need glasses that are specific to motorcyclists' use. Try www.sportrx.com for glasses. (I've had good luck with "7eye" brand glasses.)

The following users liked this post:
5500 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 AM
rk10
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just curious ... MS makes a bunch of different height windshields for that Road Warrior ..
. Did you try a different height ?

Old 05-02-2019, 11:40 AM
dmonger
Road Master

Originally Posted by FreedomRider
When I ride without a windshield I wear a full face helmet, it does not feel like it's being sucked off my head and no watery eyes. Though it is full face … I use a Fulmer that the whole front flips up, makes it easier to talk to someone.
I have been wearing my full face primarily since getting the Wide Glide for the reason stated above. But since we're getting into the warmer months now my HJC doesn't breath all that well and even here in Washington the helmet gets hot and stuffy as hell and unfortunately nobody but HJC and Scorpion make a full face that will fit my big *** head so the higher tech more vented helmets aren't an option.

Quick Reply: wind protection options