Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY coil relocation question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Yates91
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default DIY coil relocation question..

Ok, so.. looking to relocate my ignition coil, but I do not want to pay $100 for a metal bracket and wiring harness. I can make my own for less than $20 if I can find the right plug connectors for the coil, because I do not want to cut splice solder etc. so if anyone has any information on what type of connector I need, that would be great. Google wasn’t very helpful and I’ve searched the forums but nothing. I just wanted to have this information before I wasted my time making and painting a bracket.

The following users liked this post:
Prodigal_Sun (07-19-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Yates91
Ok, so.. looking to relocate my ignition coil, but I do not want to pay $100 for a metal bracket and wiring harness. I can make my own for less than $20 if I can find the right plug connectors for the coil, because I do not want to cut splice solder etc. so if anyone has any information on what type of connector I need, that would be great. Google wasn’t very helpful and I’ve searched the forums but nothing. I just wanted to have this information before I wasted my time making and painting a bracket.
DK Customs makes what you're looking for. They took the time to make quality pieces and stand behind it, and you're treating them like shmucks and you want us to hand you over information so you can do everything under $20. Figure everything out yourself, and post up your results. Please include your time, because obviously that is for free.

Dave

DK Custom (08-05-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:24 PM
Yates91
Novice

Originally Posted by TOE_CUTTER
DK Customs makes what you're looking for. They took the time to make quality pieces and stand behind it, and you're treating them like shmucks and you want us to hand you over information so you can do everything under $20. Figure everything out yourself, and post up your results. Please include your time, because obviously that is for free.

Dave
Lol... thanks. I’ll be glad to let everyone know when I figure it out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yates91:
1bestfriend (07-17-2019), fxdup (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:58 AM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 800 Likes on 577 Posts

Sometimes it's more about the journey than the destination...

Vec (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:30 AM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing wrong with wanting to save some money and DIY something, or just because you want something different than what's available.

You can get the Harley P/N for the coil plug from the parts manual. On some connecters the manufacturer part number is on the side of the plug. Then you would just need to look up the matching connector and order them online. If you don't have the crimping tool for the pins/barrels, you may end up spending more than if you just bought the kit, though...

Yates91 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:22 AM
1bestfriend
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do decide to cut and splice, query your preferred search engine for "heat shrink solder sleeve crimpless butt connectors." I've been meaning to give them a try next time I don't feel like using my soldering iron. If you stagger your splices and run the wiring through a braided sleeve you'll never see the difference.

Yates91 (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 04:41 PM
Yates91
Novice

Originally Posted by sporty79
Nothing wrong with wanting to save some money and DIY something, or just because you want something different than what's available.

You can get the Harley P/N for the coil plug from the parts manual. On some connecters the manufacturer part number is on the side of the plug. Then you would just need to look up the matching connector and order them online. If you don't have the crimping tool for the pins/barrels, you may end up spending more than if you just bought the kit, though...
I believe I found the ones I need, but I have to wait until I have time to actually check the plug on the coil before I order.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:20 PM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,917 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I don't think the OP deserves to be blasted because he wants to save a few dollars and make his own kit, hell, I actually admire it. It's not like he's trying to make his own kits and sell them. That being said, lol I ordered the DK Customs kit last night, I likely could have made the bracket mount, and the extended the harness, but dealing with the plug leads would have been a headache, I ordered my kit with the red Screamin Eagle wires and the horn kit, with shipping was over $160, but I'm good with it, especially being "plug and play"

The following 4 users liked this post by scott_0:
DK Custom (08-05-2019), Prodigal_Sun (07-19-2019), toddskill (07-21-2019), Yates91 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:56 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

I had wanted to do this since I got the bike and finally figured out how I wanted to do it and finished short while back, could not be happier with how I did it and it's such a great DIY all it would cost one is plug wires.

Until I did this I was not content with my bike, now, completely content!

Now, how bad do you wanna skin that cat!

Yates91 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:27 AM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by scott_0
I don't think the OP deserves to be blasted because he wants to save a few dollars and make his own kit, hell, I actually admire it. It's not like he's trying to make his own kits and sell them. That being said, lol I ordered the DK Customs kit last night, I likely could have made the bracket mount, and the extended the harness, but dealing with the plug leads would have been a headache, I ordered my kit with the red Screamin Eagle wires and the horn kit, with shipping was over $160, but I'm good with it, especially being "plug and play"
I have no problem when someone wants to DIY something. What I do have a problem is when someone new to the forum comes on and starts bashing, “I do not want to pay $100 for a metal bracket and wiring harness. I can make my own for less than $20” and i”I do not want to cut splice solder etc.”. WTF? DK Customs has supported this site, provided answers to members and has listened to customers feedback. Ask questions respectfully, and you’ll get answers to your questions.

Here is an example of the correct way to respectfully come across:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...n-my-take.html

If I’m wrong, when please correct me.

Peace.

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by TOE_CUTTER:
Architect (07-19-2019), toddskill (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: DIY coil relocation question..