Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Specialties Premium Adjustable Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 09:19 PM
tnichols
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Here are the Installation Instructions

Here are the Installation Instructions for some other models. So you have to know which instructions goes with your model shocks. These or the one at the top of this post. Unfortunately mine is in the first group.. and only has a maximum length of 13" and not the 13.5" as advertised in the catalog.

So if you are thinking of purchasing these shocks, check here for the maximum length. Don't believe what is in the catalog. It might be right or it might be wrong.

Attached Files

Last edited by tnichols; 08-26-2019 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:08 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 636 Posts

So? Have you installed them?

I went with the cheaper drag speciality shocks on my 01, and it's been over two months and I like the ride. There are 3 preload settings on mine and I have it in the middle and the ride is way better than the stock shocks.

So post your ride review soon. Hope you like them.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:08 AM
tnichols
Advanced

INSTALLATION AND REVIEW:

First of all, I want to say I am not racer or an expert in suspension systems. I am a relatively conservative rider, but I do like a good "S" turn. The main reason I wanted to replaced the stock shocks was I kept dragging the stock mufflers on right hand turns. And these were not hard turns either. So I knew I had to increase the length of the shocks for more cornering clearance. That started my search for new shocks.

NOTE: Drag Specialities offers shocks in two different ratings. Standard and Heavy Duty. I purchased the Heavy Duty ones. So this is only about the Heavy Duty shocks.

INSTALLATION was relatively straightforward. The stock shocks are 12" on my 2017 Fat Bob. I set the Drag Specialities to 13". So they are 1" longer than stock. That raised the back end of the bike 1.5". How it did that, I don't know, but I measured both before and after and the fender went up 1.5". Raising the back end changed several other things. I think it changed the trail/rake specifications. It changed the side stand lean and headlight aim. On the side stand, the bike leans a bit more, but in my opinion, its a better angle. I think the stock lean is too straight up and I always had to be careful how I parked the bike. The headlight need to be adjusted as it will shine on your front tire after the back end is raised. I did not have to adjust the belt. It felt about the same before and after. Getting the right bottom bolt in the shock was very tight without removing the mufflers.

REVIEW: The shocks are installed and I have put about 400 miles on them at this point. My main goal was accomplished. I no longer scrape my lower muffler on right hand turns. Did I need to go to 13"? I don't know. Maybe 12.5" would have been enough. But to change the length of the shock, you have to remove them, adjust, and re-install. I did not do this. Preload of the shocks can be adjusted on the bike. As I mentioned above, I purchased the Heavy Duty shocks. Mainly because I usually ride two up. My weight is about 220 lbs and my passenger is about 140 lbs. So that's 360 lbs not counting any accessories. Maximum weight on my bike is 379 lbs, so that is why I selected the Heavy Duty shocks. My first ride, the shocks felt very stiff. Even on the softest setting. But the longer I rode the better they felt. Maybe its is just getting used to them. I hit a pothole here in PA that you cold lose a VW beetle in and the shocks did not bottom out. The shock just has one spring, so they are not of the progressive design. Even with two up, they are on the stiff side and on rough roads, you will know you are on a rough road. I think it comes down to weight. If you ride solo most of the time and weight less than 300 lbs, go with the Standard version. If your combined weight is over 350 lbs and you ride two up most of the time, than the Heavy duty might be a good choice for you. Especially if most of the weight is on the passenger seat. Of course these are just estimates. But the Heavy Duty shocks are really HEAVY DUTY..

Bottom Line, I am still a bit undecided. I like the fact that I don't scrape my pipes any more and I don't have to worry about bottoming out. But it's a rough ride on a rough road. I wish I could have tried the Standard Duty shocks so I could compare. My passenger loves the new ride and says they are much better than the stock shocks. She also likes sitting up 1.5" higher.

Well I hope this helps.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:23 AM
tnichols
Advanced
Default Picture of my new drag specialities adjustable shocks

New shocks mounted. I had a hard time deciding if chrome or black would look best. I went with the black.

Drag specialities.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:28 AM
tnichols
Advanced
Default Drag specialities adjustable shocks

Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 AM
tnichols
Advanced
Default Raised fender 1.5 inches

New look. You can see a lot more of the tire now with the longer shocks.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:20 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 636 Posts

Aren't the 13 in shocks adjustable down to 12in? Might make it a wee bit stiff tho.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:41 PM
tnichols
Advanced

Originally Posted by REW13
Aren't the 13 in shocks adjustable down to 12in? Might make it a wee bit stiff tho.
Yes they are adjustable down to 12 inches but that is just the length of the shock. It has nothing to do with the spring or damping characteristics. Think of it as a bolt on the end that you can turn to adjust the length. That's it.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:57 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Not knowing anything about the spring rates, it's hard to say whether the ride quality is as intended by DS or not. But have you played around with preload? Maybe it's set a little too stiff? Measuring sag might be beneficial.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:12 PM
tnichols
Advanced

Originally Posted by F86
Not knowing anything about the spring rates, it's hard to say whether the ride quality is as intended by DS or not. But have you played around with preload? Maybe it's set a little too stiff? Measuring sag might be beneficial.
The shocks are very close to their softest setting. I measured the sag and it between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch.

Quick Reply: Drag Specialties Premium Adjustable Shocks