Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finned Timer Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Protrucker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finned Timer Cover?

I got one of those finned timer covers for my bike to match the derby cover. I took the old cover off & "saved the original" screws for use with the new cover per the instructions. Then I put the new cover on using those "saved screws" & started to tighten them with my inch pound torque wrench, but they wouldn't even start to tighten up. Next I removed one of the screws, to discover that they were too short & only engaged by oneor two threads & quickly stripped out!WTF!!![:@]
What's wrong with the designers at H/D? I keep running into things that are so "half a$$ed" & not at all thought out. How did they ever get to the status they've achieved?[sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif]

Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 AM
NightBob
Advanced
Default RE: Finned Timer Cover?

Not sure why you ran into this difficulty, but I did the same thing with no difficulty whatsoever. Changed out the timer cover and the derby cover, both in black fin.

MyBob is a 2007. Do you think that there is a slight enough difference between the 2006 and 2007 to have caused this? That's all I can think of.

Well, lots of times I think of SalmaHayek, but that won't help you much.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Muddyape
Road Master

Protrucker...did the SAME EXACT THING, however I trashed two of the holes in the process. Finned cover with stock screws. Drilled out all the holes while holding the brake pedal down and was able to heli-coil them all. Better than stock now I figure. Was so pissed I was going to buy a new cam cover.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:04 PM
lone rider
Tourer

Not being mechanically minded i love getting my handsdirty in the garage doing these seemingly simply jobs, but i've come a croper a couple of times. Is it possible that it's best left to the pros? I've actually saved a couple of minor jobs up and presented them to my dealerwhen i've had something done that i know i can't doand they've done me a great deal for everything.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Protrucker
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Muddyape

Protrucker...did the SAME EXACT THING, however I trashed two of the holes in the process. Finned cover with stock screws. Drilled out all the holes while holding the brake pedal down and was able to heli-coil them all. Better than stock now I figure. Was so pissed I was going to buy a new cam cover.
Yea.......I know what you mean. I was so pissed when I realized what had happened that I just shut the garage lights off & went upstairs for the night. I was thinking that I might end up heli-coiling the threads too. I didn't even check yet. Do you know what the thread size is?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I did the same change to a smooth cover.. I didnt have any problems what so ever. My new cover came with new screws though... sorry to hear about your problem.
You might try a heavier shafted fine thread screw... a little BFH torque from your right elbow and wrist.. and the new screw.. (which should also be a smidge longer).. and the thing will cut its own new thread... I have done it many times with similar F-ups.. worked well..
Good luck

Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Muddyape
Road Master

Thread is 8/32. Heli coil actually went real smooth. Like I said with stainless inserts its better than it ever was stock. This was the second style of timing cover I tried. The first one (chrome) used the OEM screws no prob. So I figured the same for finned. But finned is thicker at holes. Last time I dont pre-fit before install.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM
FLHTPjeff
Cruiser

If they only engaged one or two threads before stripping out, there's no need to heli-coil. Those screws don't do anything but hold that little cover on. Clean up the damaged threads (if needed) and put in some longer screws and you're done.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Do you need a new gasket when replacing the timer cover?
And do you lose any oil if you do this with the bike onits kickstand?

Old 09-29-2007, 08:22 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Redbeard

Do you need a new gasket when replacing the timer cover?
And do you lose any oil if you do this with the bike onits kickstand?
There is no gasket an no fluids under it. I am not sure whay there is even a cover in the first palce.

Quick Reply: Finned Timer Cover?