Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Install = Easy

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 03:10 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Install = Easy

Man, that was so easy. I just completed my Stage 1 upgrade by installing my high-flow air kit. I fancy myself intelligent, but, definitely not mechanically inclined, yet, I completed the job in under 30 minutes. And that's with me being extra careful and extra nervous. In fact, it was my first time using a torque wrench...ever! I have to thank the forums for pretty much giving me all the knowledge I needed to do it correctly with the right tools. You guys rock!

So, I'm going to run the A/C as an open element with a little capper I picked up online. Pics are below. We'll see how it runs. With the remap (dealer installed), slip-ons (self installed, thank you!) and the stock A/C it was running good. I checked the plugs (again, a first) before adding the high-flow and there was just the little hint of golden brown present. I'm hoping it doesn't change much now. But that's a whole other thread that's been beat to death.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my filter was the black-rimmed one instead of the blue one when it arrived today. Waaay better, IMHO. Anyway, let me know what you think. I'm not totally sold on the cap, but, you can pretty much slap whatever your want on it - even a CD!

Whiff

[IMG]local://upfiles/6795/278E8D9962FC47149F6EC6F21C19F48D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6795/042CFED34D464628930C18B261CABDCF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2006, 03:22 AM
darkside
Banned
Default RE: A/C Install = Easy

That looks good man. I like the cover.I ,m actuallly interested in one like that. Kind of fun to do it yourself in my opinion.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:00 AM
claydbal
Cruiser

looks great.bet it sounds good when you stretch 4th gear to 110 mph!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/6557/505B9B14FF144F0E96F65097D13F4C4B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2006, 09:41 AM
MikeO
Advanced

Hey Whiff,
You did the slipons yourself? I'm getting some for my lowrider and was wondering how hard it is to do. Is there some post on how to do it or did you just read the instructions included? Is it easy to do? Any help would be appreciated...

Old 01-19-2006, 10:24 AM
wild wally
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MikeO

Hey Whiff,
You did the slipons yourself? I'm getting some for my lowrider and was wondering how hard it is to do. Is there some post on how to do it or did you just read the instructions included? Is it easy to do? Any help would be appreciated...

butting in here, but if you have a socket set, the slipons are really easy to install. So simple you don't even need to look at the instructions. Just unbolt from the bracket, loosen the clamps and wriggle them off, then do the reverse to put the new ones on.

Wally

Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Whiff, that looks great! I'm glad to see you finally have it on the bike.

Here are some pics of mine for comparison: (nevermind the junk in the garage)

[IMG]local://upfiles/5333/6FB79AC188BA42E995226512E58AF76B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5333/1A58047D823D44E28E2999F9140BF1A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Just as Wally said, a socket set is pretty much all you need for the slipons. Although, you'll probably want to have a torque wrench too. I installed without one, however, last night I torqued them to spec and found I was pretty far off on my original estimation. I left the rivets off. That won't mean anything to you till you read the instructions.

Whiff

Old 01-19-2006, 11:19 AM
chapds
Cruiser

Looks great Whiff. Nothing better then doing the installs yourself to save money ( if you don't screw it up, i've been down both of those roads ). Good job bro. Full review of performance after your download, ok ?? I'm next for both of these upgrades ( getting the pipes you got & the stage 1 ( but i'm one of the 1% who dig the football cover ). Hey Whiff, how much further does the A/C stick out now ?? I know with the stage 1 it sticks out, & was wondering if it was going to compromise me getting to my highway pegs with my short legs. Let me know.

Later,
Chap

Old 01-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

I've added another picture from this morning so you can get the whole side view.

I actually have all three now: Muffs, Remap and A/C. I've only driven it 8 miles after adding the high-flow AC but I could tell some subtle differences...

[ul][*] Less of a high frequency "snap" sound out of the exhaust. It sounded more round and a tad bit mellower.[*]If I bark it, the engine seems to reach the top rpms AND back down to the lower rpms quicker. Guess it has a little less fuel to burn(?).[*]Ran alot smoother in the lower gears through traffic - no surges or inconsistent throttle response. [*]It was off the line from a dead stop alot more smoother.[*]Had a tiny bit less get-up-and-go when in passing mode in 3rd and 4th.[*]Now I can hear it sucking air when I bark it. You can hear the bike breathing which kind of gives it that ethereal 'alive' feeling. Corny, I know. :-)
[/ul]

This is all preliminary, however, I was actually expecting and anticipating a lack of performance. I couldn't find it, really. If anything, it ran better for the bulk of the type of riding I do, which is rush hour commuting.

Chap,

I didn't notice any added girth on the A/C side. If anything, since the cover is smaller, there's even more room. I don't think pegs will be a problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6795/75E0622D43A54179A75097E9C5A842DA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Tubz
Intermediate

Hey Whiff,

Your bike looks HOT!! Nice ride! I like the air cleaner cover. What web site did you get it from? Do they have different styles?

Tubz

Quick Reply: A/C Install = Easy