Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob Exhaust question???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:46 AM
bjv11383
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob Exhaust question???

For you Fat Bob owners.......
&nbsp\\;
How does the factory exhaust sound??&nbsp\\; Have you you heard the Screaming Eagle Slip-on exhaust????&nbsp\\; I am waiting for my Fat Bob to arrive and wondering what to do about the exhaust???&nbsp\\; [8D]

Old 06-20-2008, 03:26 AM
storm8732
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Fat Bob Exhaust question???

Harley exhausts are a very subjective thing.&nbsp\\; Everybody has their opinion...so I will offer mine.&nbsp\\; It in no way is meant to offend others and what they like.&nbsp\\; When I first got my Fat Bob I thought it was way too quiet for my taste.&nbsp\\; I pulled out the baffles...punched out the center plug and removed all the packing.&nbsp\\; It sounded just as good as a sreaming eagle set-up in my opinion....better than stock....but not much.&nbsp\\; My mod was free though which was a big plus.&nbsp\\; I would have been very upset to spend that much money on the SE mufflers to have such little improvement over what I got for free.&nbsp\\; Shortly after that I ordered a set of Rush slip-ons with 1.75 baffles.&nbsp\\; Those sounded great but still a little bit quiet for my taste, but a VAST improvement over stock.&nbsp\\; Then one of the members here was replacing his exhaust system where he was using 2.0 Rush baffles for a full exhaust.&nbsp\\; He was kind enough to send his 2.o baffles to me for free.&nbsp\\; To me these are the ultimate in slip on sound.&nbsp\\; I wanted a little different look on the rear so I opted for the slash out version, They have several to choose from.&nbsp\\; The 2.0s are only marginally louder at idle over the 1.75 but when to twist the throttle you really notice the difference.&nbsp\\; if you want even more sound you can remove the packing from the baffle.&nbsp\\; I have a stock air cleaner and have not changed the mapping from stock and have experienced not popping on decel.&nbsp\\; The whole mapping issue is a whole different can of worms that I wont go into here.&nbsp\\; With all that said, in my opinion, save some money.&nbsp\\; Get the Rush mufflers.&nbsp\\; They are cheaper than the SE option, sound better, and look better.......no offense meant...remember what I said back at the beginning.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25257/A533D8A14D3F462DB72F269FB4E8B750.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25257/9652D14D77A64F5A8A3D1B839E0D542F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8,972 Likes on 1,475 Posts

I still have the stock exhaust on mine.
Sounds pretty good for stock pipes and they do get louder with time.
Not quite loud enough though........
I will be changing them eventually but I am waiting for more slip on options than Rush and SE.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:53 AM
chase72
Intermediate

Not loud at all...I dropped&nbsp\\;some cash&nbsp\\;on a pair of V&amp\\;H medium staggered shotguns the minute the dealer fired it up...I have pics, but can't download on this piece-o-**** website.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:27 AM
joemacro65
Tourer

HD stock pipe are&nbsp\\;quiet.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 AM
nazareth27
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They day I brought mine home a few weeks ago, it was way way too quiet.&nbsp\\; I actually whispered to myself, is this thing running? ha ha.&nbsp\\; I had traded in my sportster, and I just prefer louder exhaust, it was running hooker troublemakers.&nbsp\\; Anyhow, I too was looking for more than just the screaming eagle or rush.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; The day I was in the dealership, I saw that cycle shack has slip-ons out for 08 fat bobs, skull and cross bones, and rockers.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I had a set of these at one time on my sportster, and trust their name.&nbsp\\; The minute I got home I ordered directly from them, and had them in about 4 days from california, and Im in kansas.&nbsp\\;229 I think was the price.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Well worth it and a nice rumble when you let off the throttle.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; I figure for now, first year I'll run those and eventually put on a full exhaust and air cleaner upgrade and remap.
To each their own on pipes, etc, and just ride ride ride.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 08:53 AM
motorcycle mikey
Cruiser

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. When&nbsp\\;I got my Fat BoB, the first thing I did was change the exhaust to a Vance &amp\\; Hines Big Radius 2 into 1 (along with a SE Heavy Breather and V&amp\\;H Fuelpak). I love the sound of a harley with pipes, but I find it very annoying on long trips. I went back to stock and I could not be happier. Yeh, people do not turn their head to look at me as I ride by, but I am enjoying the ride more than ever. I could have saved a bunch of money if I had riden my FB stock for a while. I love twisty roads and long rides and I find that the sound was a distraction for me. I realize that I am in the tiny minority on this issue, but I find myself riding more and enjoying it more.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
thebump
Advanced

Rush 2" Slip on's for me was perfect. I let the stock exhaust break in a bit, it did get louder but nothing close to the rush. It's not obnoxious either.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:57 AM
fsnco
Novice

I asked this question awhile ago but never got an answer... with the Rush 2' slipons i noticed that it seems like the only thing holding the baffles in is a bracket and i set of screws.&nbsp\\; My question is can you take out the baffles fairly easily?&nbsp\\; And if so, does it just slip out and could you ever slip them back on?? may be a stupid question but thought about doing it but a little sketchy about pulling them out and then not liking it.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
thebump
Advanced

You can take them out and get different ones. I think they are somewhere around $75 for new baffles....&nbsp\\; Nice if you think you want it louder or quieter.&nbsp\\; Pretty easy.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob Exhaust question???