Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

longer shifter lever?

Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Bat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longer shifter lever?

one setting and my boots fit under lever perfectly (for up-shift), but I have to remove foot from peg to down shift.&nbsp\\; One adjustment down and it is perfect for down-shift (i.e. no need to remove foot from peg), but can't comfortably get boot under shifter (can be done, but not comfortable and can get a little stick (not stuck, just a little snag) when removing).&nbsp\\; The lower setting works fine with some foot-wear (Timberland hiking boots), but not with the HD boots (non-steel toe) which have a little higher toe-box.&nbsp\\; I am not interested in a heel toe shifter, but thought that maybe a shifter that was a little longer (from shaft to shifter pad/peg) would do the trick.&nbsp\\; Does anyone know of one that would fit my Fat Bob that would be longer than stock?&nbsp\\; Thanks.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Buggz
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: longer shifter lever?

I bought a billet chrome shifter linkage&nbsp\\;from Jireh for 35 bucks with a flame and skull design, added the ball joint ends(10.$ea) and was able to adjust it more precise then the HD forwards allowed, on my 06 Bob. I got an 11.75 inch one they come in differnt lenghts, starting at 9". HD wants more then 125 for their&nbsp\\; chrome linkage.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Keeg
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Bubbasbrake.com or Waltersworkshop.com or SoftBrake.&nbsp\\; Various extended lengths in slotted or stock style.&nbsp\\; You won't find listings for Dynas, but softails models fit our splines.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Bat
Cruiser

thanks\\; I'll take a closer look and measure to see what I need\\; thanks again.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 AM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I mounted a Heel Hammer from Dewey's Customs.&nbsp\\; The only time I hook my toe under the shift lever is to find neutral.&nbsp\\; Works great.

[IMG]local://upfiles/58191/BC4924B15CA742FDBC7529883C64A5AA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

BlueBob that shure looks like a nice shifter,

Old 07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Bat\\;
&nbsp\\; I had the same issue with the forwards on my '06 Wide\\; having to lift my foot off the peg to downshift if the lever was comfortably positioned for upshifts. Like you, I'm no fan of heel/toe shifters, so I've been playing around with an idea based on suggestions from others on this forum. I started by taking a 3/8-in. slice of 4x4 aluminum angle. The&nbsp\\;holes were spaced 1/2-in. so I could play with the positioning of the up/down shift pegs. I don't know about you but I like to upshift with the base of my toes, and downshift with the pads of my toes. Once I get the peg placements nailed, I'll get rid of the aluminum angle and work up something nice in chrome.
I'm still in "PROTOTYPE" mode here, so be gentle everyone.
(In actual use this thing is a joy to shift with, especially in town)

Old 07-02-2008, 06:32 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

'Nuther

Old 07-02-2008, 06:33 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member

'Nuther

Old 07-02-2008, 06:33 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member

'Nuther...last

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: longer shifter lever?