Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump problem **help neeeded

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:01 AM
kuleli
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump problem **help neeeded

Hi guys,

What are signs of the fuel pump out of order ? My 06 wg started to run strange recently. it seems engine cuts fuel and dies for 1,2 seconds while riding then suddenly accelaretes again.HD tech test drove it. he said fuel pump went out. Can he easily understand if really so ? I wonder there might be something different. He just drove the bike for 5 minutes and said it is fuel pump ???? is there anybody out there who faced the same problem ? how do you recognize if your fule pump is not working....

any suggestions highly appreciated

warmest regards

06 hdi wg
16 ages
stage 1

Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 AM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kuleli
Hi guys,

What are signs of the fuel pump out of order ? My 06 wg started to run strange recently. it seems engine cuts fuel and dies for 1,2 seconds while riding then suddenly accelaretes again.HD tech test drove it. he said fuel pump went out. Can he easily understand if really so ? I wonder there might be something different. He just drove the bike for 5 minutes and said it is fuel pump ???? is there anybody out there who faced the same problem ? how do you recognize if your fule pump is not working....

any suggestions highly appreciated

warmest regards

06 hdi wg
16 ages
stage 1
There have been numerous fuel pump problems over the last few years, not sure if dyna's were in the mix...But i will tell you that its my experience working on cars, planes, etc, that many times when a fuel pump starts going south you can hear it starting to whine, howl, or make a noise different than normal. A cracked housing will cause a problem, and you can at times hear this by removing your fuel cap and listening for fuel leaking or spraying internally. If the pump has an electrical problem, then it certainly could just shut-off intermittantly and cause problems etc....Have you noticed the pump is suddenly LOUDER now when you first turn it on ?

Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 AM
kuleli
Cruiser

*****-joe
thanks for your quick response. well, it seems ok when I switch run. I hear usual fuel pump kick on. As you described engine shut off or fuel does not go to engine or engine does not breath for 1 second then moves quickly...I do not have ecm codes. So I want to be sure about the problem.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:46 AM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by kuleli
*****-joe
thanks for your quick response. well, it seems ok when I switch run. I hear usual fuel pump kick on. As you described engine shut off or fuel does not go to engine or engine does not breath for 1 second then moves quickly...I do not have ecm codes. So I want to be sure about the problem.
Does this problem happen when your tank is full ? Just curious. Another suggestion is to GOOGLE ....2006 harley wideglide fuel pump problem...Very often you can find a post about someone else having the very same problem, or that had the same problem and how it was fixed...

Old 09-01-2008, 03:03 AM
mo-fo-joe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by *****-joe
Does this problem happen when your tank is full ? Just curious. Another suggestion is to GOOGLE ....2006 harley wideglide fuel pump problem...Very often you can find a post about someone else having the very same problem, or that had the same problem and how it was fixed...
If you google 2006 harley davidson fuel pump, you will see a few things posted. One of which kinda pertains to what i was thinking about, and that is a possible cracked or chaffed fuel line inside the tank which will certainly cause problems.

Reason i am saying this, is if your bike is no-longer under warranty you can remove your fuel pump assembly and take a good look at your internal fuel system parts and you can fix it alot cheaper yourself..If its under warranty then certainly let your dealer have a go at it.

Get yourself a service manual for your bike if you do not have one , it will give you alot of excellent info, pictures etc, about your motorcycle..good luck !

Old 09-01-2008, 04:08 AM
kuleli
Cruiser

I could not trace required info in google. Now I have another question. what is the part number for fuel pump ? do you know if fuel pump on 2008 wg fits mine ?

06 wg