Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah....what interval in the manual does it say to replace the motor mounts??

Old 03-04-2009, 09:38 AM
HAV0C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
Jeez...... $429?!?! And thats on sale?!?!? Hmm...

where does it say $429 for mounts?
READ! .. motor mounts WITH swingarm kit for $429
the front mount is $89
all poly motor Mounts for the dyna are roughly going to be around the $200 range.

Last edited by HAV0C; 03-04-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 AM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't notice any more vibration than when i bought my SB. Have well over 12,000 miles and bought it new in Sept. '06, one of the first 2007 models to hit the showroom floor. Looked at front mount and can't see anything wrong with it.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:10 AM
speedjunkie
Road Captain

I had my front mount replaced under warranty a week ago. I had to do plenty of explaining to the tech to get my point across, but finally got there. He was looking at the sides of the mount, and coming back with no official criteria for the mount. I explained it wasn't the sides, it was the sag in the mount, so look at the top. Finally, after explaining for the 3rd time, they offered to remove and compare to a new one. Low and behold, there was almost a 1/4 difference in the way the 2 set side by side. The tech was humbled to say the least. They put the new one on, and my vibes at 3k and above in the seat and pegs are gone. Woo hoo!

A poly replacement would vibe more, but also last alot longer. I'd consider one the next time around, which I'm sure will come.

Oh, and my bike had 11k miles on it.

Mike

Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
hufdvr
Advanced

It may not be the mounts causing the vibes!

I did the "shim mod" on my front mount and it helped the vibes a little, but when I installed the Velva Ride stabilizer it REALLY got rid of the vibes. This is an excellent investment and does not cost too much:

http://www.chopperscycle.com/page/VTS/PROD/41-322/21928

Last edited by hufdvr; 03-04-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 PM
speedjunkie
Road Captain

Too bad that Velva ride only goes up to 2004. Nice looking unit there!

I had the tech make sure and check and see if needed shimmed or not, he said it was fine and didn't need them.

Mike

Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speedjunkie
I had my front mount replaced under warranty a week ago. I had to do plenty of explaining to the tech to get my point across, but finally got there. He was looking at the sides of the mount, and coming back with no official criteria for the mount. I explained it wasn't the sides, it was the sag in the mount, so look at the top. Finally, after explaining for the 3rd time, they offered to remove and compare to a new one. Low and behold, there was almost a 1/4 difference in the way the 2 set side by side. The tech was humbled to say the least. They put the new one on, and my vibes at 3k and above in the seat and pegs are gone. Woo hoo!

A poly replacement would vibe more, but also last alot longer. I'd consider one the next time around, which I'm sure will come.

Oh, and my bike had 11k miles on it.

Mike
Mine was the same as you describe. When it reaches that point the casting on the engine that the mount bolts to is sitting on the steel insert that bolts to the frame. It didn't bother me in the least but my wife was complaining about the vibes in the pegs. Switched the mounts and she was happy. I really didn't notice any real change other than the whine from the back seat stopped.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by flynavy
Can anyone tell me why their motor mounts are "going bad" and by that what exactly does "bad" mean here?

I have 10K on my 07 SB with no issues.....what is the real deal with this?

The thread and responses are like this is normal or something and needing to replace motor mounts after or every 6K miles just doesn't seem right....

Love to hear from more Dyna owners on "how often" or IF you have replaced your motor mounts and why....
+1

I'd like to hear more about this too. I've got 18K on my '07 FXDC and yea, it vibrates but no "whine from the rear seat" yet. The bike goes out of warranty in July, I'd love to get this replaced for free if I need it but, do I need it?

6K miles, really or are folks jerkin' us on this?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

i dont care about vibration. i bought a 45 degree vtwin. they vibrate. if iwas worried about a little shakin, i'd buy a goldwing.
the mounts have gotten so much play in em that the front pipe now hits the downtube......
maybe the engine is stretching........
couldnt be the rubber.......
i'd preorder the urethane mounts if i could

Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain

poly sure sounds like th way to go basing on my auto experience - for those that cant get the dealer to look at them - thats BULL****! Expy did an article and his link is in my thread titled engine sag

using his information I took my bike to the delaer and TOLD them it needs to be replaced - easy evidnece of mine was the front header was BANGING the front frame tube, but still they tried to explain it away with aftermarket pipe excuse until I kept at them - Id camp on their door - especially if your bikes are still under warranty - at least youll get another 6k before having to go poly, and time to save the coin!

good luck - ill keep watching this for the post on the poly kit - remember to keep them focused on "Its not that Im complaing about vibration, just too much vibration, point out the excessive vibration in the pegs and bars, look for signs of the front header pipe banging frame, etc"

Quick Reply: replacement motor mounts