Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Rider Engine Shuts Off at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:48 AM
Swamp Tiger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Rider Engine Shuts Off at Idle

My 2007 Low Rider with 21,000 miles has begun shutting down when you release the throttle to idle. This occurs after the engine warms up, but she always starts right back up and continues to run as long as you keep giving the throttle a little nudge.

This first happened after about an 80 mile ride with no problems. When I started home, I noticed at the first intersection where I had to stop that she wanted to shut down, so I kept nudging the throttle so that I would not have to deal with a dead engine in traffic. I had to top of the gas tank about 30 miles down the road, so I released the throttle when I pulled into the gas station. The engine immediately shut off as I coasted to the gas pumps.

I am going to put her in the shop this week to check it out --- she needs a new rear tire anyway. My first guess is an obstruction somewhere in the fuel line, but I thought I would tap the collective wisdom, knowledge, and experience on this forum to see if there is anything else that should be considered.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Renegade1
Cruiser

I am having a similar problem, have you found out what the cause was? Thanks.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM
ronny c.
Tourer

i know there is a throttle cable and an idle cable, maybe it just needs adjusting.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:22 PM
compgeek789
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2007 Bob just started doing the same thing last week. 21,500 miles. Starts fine, runs fine, accelerates strong, gas mileage is good. But if I'm riding it hard on the highway for a length of time, it has an extremely low idle whenever I get off the highway and am idling at a light or whatever. Gotta blurp the throttle or it will die. I haven't let it actually die yet, but I can tell it wants to. Happens either in neutral and/or in gear with the clutch in. I suspect something in the EFI but I haven't taken it in because I know the dealership won't be able to tell me squat. On the 3 or 4 times it's happened to me, it has always corrected itself and started idling normally within a minute or two.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,324 Likes on 2,361 Posts

This has popped up here before, some said the Idle Air Control module has a little orifice for the IAC motor to meter in air or whatever it does and sometimes this little orifice can collect debris in it causing the motor to malfunction and not move the needle as required. The fix was a shot of carb cleaner in that orifice then turn the ignition on/off a couple of times. Worth a try.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
This has popped up here before, some said the Idle Air Control module has a little orifice for the IAC motor to meter in air or whatever it does and sometimes this little orifice can collect debris in it causing the motor to malfunction and not move the needle as required. The fix was a shot of carb cleaner in that orifice then turn the ignition on/off a couple of times. Worth a try.

Cleaning out the Idle Air Control (IAC) would be my thought and first try. The IAC is a servo controlled valve that constantly controls idle rpms with air flow. In simplicity terms you are doing the same thing when you give it throttle sort of. If that IAC gets gummed up which is common with the crank breather exhausting into the intake it will not be able to move freely and control idle rpms.
Other things can cause this issue too but I would start with a simple cleaning of the IAC and throttle body intake.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the speedo go to zero at the same time? if it does most likely a speed sensor