Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Blocks - Whos got em?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 AM
miketedesco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lowering Blocks - Whos got em?

So I am studying the various rear lowering blocks available for my wifes 05 Super Glide. I keep looking at the Arlen Ness kit and the other various brands(Burley, Tamarack, White Bros, etc). To anyone that has either of these kits, could you take a picture for me of the lower shock mount so I can see how the block sits on the swing arm?

(If you are wondering...) The reason I am asking for this is that it appears that the Ness kit mounts to the swing arm with the center hole then has a rearward hole for the shock to bold to at the end of the block. The other brands all appear to mount to the swing arm at the end of the block, then the shock mount to the middle of the block. I want to confirm that since there is a $50 difference in price between the Ness kit and the other brands. If the block mounts to the swing arm via the center hole, this will not allow the block to pivot on the swing arm when the bike is jacked up, when it bolts to the end of the block and you jack the bike up, the block pivots up and the rear wheel hangs real low. I am just not a fan of this design. I had lowering blocks on my wife's old Honda Shadow and hated the design. It never seemed entirely safe to me.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you're not overthinking this, man? They're just blocks, regardless of price. All any of them are gonna do is move the lower shock mount further out. I understand what you're explaining, but you may be nitpicking...

Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

I pondered the lowering blocks myself but everyone will tell you that shorter shocks are not that much more expensive and are probably an upgrade on the stock shocks so do what I did and spend about $200 on some lower Progressive 412's or something. Others will argue that there are much better shocks out there, and there are but if the objective is to lower the bike cheaply I would do it this way. I think the blocks will ruin your ride also. Just one man's opinion.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:43 AM
powerlab
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default blocks

Well heres my opinion....i have the shorter shocks and took them off and went to blocks...My ride is MUCH better with the stock shocks.U lose travel with the shorter shocks and do not with the blocks.I have never bottomed out solo or 2-up.I also lowered the front of the bike.I have the lbm blocks and love them.I would highly reccommend spending 50.00 on the blocks guys before 200.00 on the shocks just to find out ya dont like the ride.This is just my finding guys...

Old 02-19-2010, 09:57 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

If you're ever going to want to use bags you'll have a problem with the blocks as they change the angle of the shock.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:30 AM
miketedesco
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is my wifes bike. She will probably never have saddle bags on the bike. The bike never carries a passenger, so the lost weight capacity is no big deal with the blocks. I have read too many reviews on the cheap shocks and everyone says the same thing - too hard. That is one thing she loves about her Dyna, how "nice" (soft) it rides. (And to her a Cadillac rides nice and a sports car rides too hard, so a more performance based shock wont be better)

Yes, I want to be cheap, but at the same time, I was not 100% comfortable with the blocks on the Honda. I dont think there was really ever an issue with them on the road, but it was one of those things that bothered me.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:28 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

If your not running bags and want to keep a soft ride while dropping the rear end, its awfully hard to beat the blocks. I bought the Tamarack blocks. After installing them on my bike, I find it hard to believe these things could ever fail. Its not like its a moving part...and just to mention, its about 3 times thicker than the stock location point. So I feel reasonably safe.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:35 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
Are you sure you're not overthinking this, man? They're just blocks, regardless of price. All any of them are gonna do is move the lower shock mount further out. I understand what you're explaining, but you may be nitpicking...
hehe i was thinking the same thing - i wonder if mexicans are this concerned with what lifting blocks to put on the s10 or what wheel spacers to use on their nissan

bottom line its the cheap (if not wrong) way to lower a bike.

Also make sure she inspects them often - a good area for fatigue and failure

Old 02-19-2010, 03:23 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by miketedesco
So I am studying the various rear lowering blocks available for my wifes 05 Super Glide. I keep looking at the Arlen Ness kit and the other various brands(Burley, Tamarack, White Bros, etc). To anyone that has either of these kits, could you take a picture for me of the lower shock mount so I can see how the block sits on the swing arm?

(If you are wondering...) The reason I am asking for this is that it appears that the Ness kit mounts to the swing arm with the center hole then has a rearward hole for the shock to bold to at the end of the block. The other brands all appear to mount to the swing arm at the end of the block, then the shock mount to the middle of the block. I want to confirm that since there is a $50 difference in price between the Ness kit and the other brands. If the block mounts to the swing arm via the center hole, this will not allow the block to pivot on the swing arm when the bike is jacked up, when it bolts to the end of the block and you jack the bike up, the block pivots up and the rear wheel hangs real low. I am just not a fan of this design. I had lowering blocks on my wife's old Honda Shadow and hated the design. It never seemed entirely safe to me.
The block pivots when you jack the bike up!

Are you kidding? It sounds like you're planing to leave the bolts looose!

I've got these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-75-...Q5fAccessories

... they never 'pivot' when I raise the bike.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
OutlawBagger
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had blocks and took them off for shorter shocks. I guess I'll find out how different the ride is. I'm not gonna sell the blocks yet just in-case I don't like the ride.

The year I rode with the blocks on I never had a problem at all. I took them off to go lower.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering Blocks - Whos got em?