Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12v Power Point

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
MilesJ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v Power Point

Mornin guys,
I am curious if any of the Dyna riders here have installed a 12v power point. I'm tripping down to Vegas is may, and I'm thinking about bringing the GPS along. I usually don't bother with it, but I'm thinking it would be handy for finding some of the hotels at the stop points on the way down. I want to run the wires up to the front by the headlight, but then have a wiring plug so that I can have the socket there or gone as I want, but kind of at a loss to figure out where to mount it to make it easily removable, and not real noticeable either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

I've got one 12V point just poking out under the seat on the left side for the batt tender, as does the wife on her Low Rider and I've got a permanent GPS mount on the left handlebar, the wiring is zip tied to the switch wires from the left grip. I've got a T-Sport, so there's a small fairing on the bike; kinda "hides" the GPS...you could run a GPS power wire under the tank and bundle it with the switchgear wires for the left grip; unless your wiring is in the bars...

I can take a couple of close-up pics later today if you want...

Attached Thumbnails 12v Power Point-yellowstone-sign.jpg  
Old 03-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be easy to install and run the wire, that is for sure....hiding it would take more effort. I would probably try to position it just under the tank like right in front of the seat area maybe? It wouldn't be completely out of sight but you would have to look hard to see it I'm thinking. Also it would not be convenient either but I reckon you gotta pick function or form.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by sharkey
I've got one 12V point just poking out under the seat on the left side for the batt tender, as does the wife on her Low Rider and I've got a permanent GPS mount on the left handlebar, the wiring is zip tied to the switch wires from the left grip. I've got a T-Sport, so there's a small fairing on the bike; kinda "hides" the GPS...you could run a GPS power wire under the tank and bundle it with the switchgear wires for the left grip; unless your wiring is in the bars...

I can take a couple of close-up pics later today if you want...
Awesome Sharkey, the pics would be much appreciated!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lorance66
It would be easy to install and run the wire, that is for sure....hiding it would take more effort. I would probably try to position it just under the tank like right in front of the seat area maybe? It wouldn't be completely out of sight but you would have to look hard to see it I'm thinking. Also it would not be convenient either but I reckon you gotta pick function or form.
lol ya that's the biggest issue I have right now. Harley does sell a socket which is blacked out and covered so mostly weather proof for their touring bikes. I'll probably buy that one. I just won't be using it very often, just for gps once in a while, then to charge up phone or ipod when camping, so I don't wanna perm mount unless I can keep it kind of hidden.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:03 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If I remember, someone added an external 12v port in the "under $50' thread.

Here is the link: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4129285-post1046.html

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 03-09-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Added link to 'under $50' thread post for 12v supply.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

Thanks SC!

Found at least one in there. He internally wired his bars and mounted it in the grommet on the right side. Not something I will do at this point, but it certainly gives me more ideas!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesJ
Thanks SC!

Found at least one in there. He internally wired his bars and mounted it in the grommet on the right side. Not something I will do at this point, but it certainly gives me more ideas!
There was another post where the guy added the 12v port just below his seat and the rear of the battery box. So basically, yes it can easily be done. Just decide where you want to put it.

I do really like the idea of 'hiding' it in the frame grommet. You wouldn't need to do anything special to move the wires to the left side. Just unplug them, and move them to the left side, then plug them back into their respective mates.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is a whole thread on the subject..
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post6278805

Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 AM
MilesJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Here is a whole thread on the subject..
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post6278805
Thanks for the heads up, there is a lot of good ideas there! And after reading that and looking at the pics, I have to wonder if the previous owner installed a battery tender hook up and has it hidden somewhere, as I have a wire with the inline fuse. Going to have to go do so closer inspection o nthe bike this afternoon!

Quick Reply: 12v Power Point