Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle cable recall.............Now problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 AM
gtguyonli
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cable recall.............Now problem.

I finally had the chance to take my bike in to my cousins dealership for the throttle cable recall. I don't ride much, my bike is an 04 and I have 6400 miles on it. His dealership is about 100 miles away and not that convenient to get to. So, they performed the recall and I had some other work done. When I got home and washed the bike I noticed the wire that goes to the fuel guage is hanging down along with a plastic clip. It is almost resting on top of the engine. I called my cousin and of course he said it isn't normal that I should bring it back, I just don't have the time to ride to his dealership right now. My question is, does anyone know where that sort of "H" shaped clip snaps into? I have a feeling the tank needs to be removed, how hard is it to remove the tank? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
JonV
Tourer

Can't help you with the Clip.... but what the scoop on the recall? What bikes does it affect?

Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 AM
gtguyonli
Novice

I don't know what bikes it affected, but I got a recall in the mail a few years ago, something to do with re routing the throttle cable away from the fuel tank, that if it wasn't re routed it could rub a hole in the tank. As I said I don't ride it much and my cousins dealership is 100 miles way and they are the only ones I let work on my bike. My bike is a 2004 Wide Glide.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd call the dealership and tell them what you found. They'll be able to tell you where that end clip goes to. If it goes under the tank, then inform them THEY need to send a mechanic out to your home to fix it. Why should you spend YOUR TIME AND GAS money for THEIR mistake. Or...... get WRITTEN authorization to take it to an independent to fix and send your dealer the repair bill. That's just my 2 cents.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 AM
gtguyonli
Novice

Did you read my post???? I called my cousin and he of course said to bring it in, he is 100 miles away. Second, it is my cousin, he charges me for nothing, I am not going to demand that he send someone to fix it. I am just looking for advice how to fix it myself.

Originally Posted by LWOS
I'd call the dealership and tell them what you found. They'll be able to tell you where that end clip goes to. If it goes under the tank, then inform them THEY need to send a mechanic out to your home to fix it. Why should you spend YOUR TIME AND GAS money for THEIR mistake. Or...... get WRITTEN authorization to take it to an independent to fix and send your dealer the repair bill. That's just my 2 cents.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:37 AM
BoozerHi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clip clips to another wire cable under the tank. you should be able to lift only the front of your tank to find one to clip it to.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:50 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I read your post and saw it was a Dealership. I admit I missed the fact that it your cousins. However, I have relatives who work in car dealerships, yet I still have to pay a bill, albiet less a discount. Sorry if I offended.....

Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gtguyonli
I finally had the chance to take my bike in to my cousins dealership for the throttle cable recall. I don't ride much, my bike is an 04 and I have 6400 miles on it. His dealership is about 100 miles away and not that convenient to get to. So, they performed the recall and I had some other work done. When I got home and washed the bike I noticed the wire that goes to the fuel guage is hanging down along with a plastic clip. It is almost resting on top of the engine. I called my cousin and of course he said it isn't normal that I should bring it back, I just don't have the time to ride to his dealership right now. My question is, does anyone know where that sort of "H" shaped clip snaps into? I have a feeling the tank needs to be removed, how hard is it to remove the tank? Thanks in advance for your advice.
My clip goes into a hole in the frame backbone on my 05 FXDC. Like the guide clips for the throttle/idle cables. It may clip into another clip that holds the tank breather tube there.

Last edited by rounder; 07-11-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 PM
gtguyonli
Novice

OK, thanks, I am going to lift the front of the tank tomorrow to see if I an see where it clips on there.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Badmonkey
Tourer

post a pic ..it will be easier for us to figure out wat it is