Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Dyna's

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question About Dyna's

what are these like on a long ride comfortable or no?

friend of a friend has a superglide they might be able to be talked into selling since they don't ride it anymore and it is wasting away in the garage
not sure what year it is anymore I just sort of remembered he has it still sitting there last I knew

also in before "it's too big for you to start on" I know this but I can put it in the garage for now and have a sweet bike to ride after I learn more

have another friend that has been letting me put around short distances with him on his wife's Sportster once a week when she is at work on a saturday and he wants someone to hang with so I've been learning and getting more and more hooked by the day it seems
But that bike as nice as it is just feels too small for much comfort for very long for someone my size(5 foot 11 220 pounds)

enough of this babble thanks for any help or suggestions anyone might give in advance

Old 09-09-2010, 02:53 AM
maddog76
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A super glide will be more comfortable than a sporty for longer rides and is their any such thing as too big? You will find that you can do anything on a dyna as any other bike out its all personal preference.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:00 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured it would be better than a sportster anyways

I jsut always come back from the rides with my buddy thinking man that was short and damn that bike feels cramped lol

I love the looks of a superglide so i was just curious how they handled

I'm not really scared of the bigger models just a little gun shy of them for now due to the extra weight and power the sporty I ride with him is only an 883

thanks for the reply

Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

If it is an earlier Dyna Super Glide it will probably have the best suspension ever fitted to a Dyna which is also adjustable, plus twin front brakes. A great bike to start on and next to my FXDXT the best Dyna for long rides! Sounds like a great idea, so best of luck. Keep us posted!

Last edited by grbrown; 09-09-2010 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Added link.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:16 AM
_Rikki_
Intermediate

I think it´s comfortable, considering what it is. Not comfortable like my last bike, a kawasaki Custom 900, but on the otherhand, on that bike the main problem was being bored to death on the long runs. On a Dyna you feel the road (and the seat) and thats what makes it interesting, i feel like i´m riding a bike, not sitting in a chair. Dyna comfort overall is good, and there are options in improving it if you disagree.

And also, i never got the idea of some bikes being "too big to start out on". In the end, a bike will do what the righthand tells it (Hopefully...). As long as you are capable of lifting it up, no problem. And a crash with a 500 cc engine will f*** you up just as good as if you where sitting on a bigger one. It´s like buying a smaller house just to see if you manage do to the laundry. Just have confidence and go about it slowly. The machine loves you... :=)

Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 AM
NR4TW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an 09 Super Glide, with forward controls and the Street Bob mini-ape handle bars. A couple weeks ago I went out for a "short" ride with a few friends, but ended up putting 350 miles on it before getting home later that day. It would have been nice to have a windshield to reduce fatigue from going 75mph down the highway, and I'm considering having the seat modified by Mean City Cycles to make it a little more comfortable, but all in all the bike was great for a full day of riding. I hung with my buddies on their Road Kings, Street Glides and Ultras, just fine.

Next summer I plan on taking about a 800 mile trip to see some friends, and then return home a few days later with another 800 on the way back. Whether or not I have the seat modded I will definitely get a windshield, but I'm comfortable with the idea of doing the whole 1600 mile round trip on my FXD.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:28 AM
NR4TW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nubz
I'm not really scared of the bigger models just a little gun shy of them for now due to the extra weight and power the sporty I ride with him is only an 883
Don't sweat it. If you can handle the slightly top heavy Sporty, the Super Glide isn't that much heavier, and IMO better balanced so even with the extra weight is easier to handle than the Sporty.

I went from riding a Yamaha 650 which weighs a little less than the Sportsters, and has less power, to riding a Super Glide with no problem. By the time I had 500 miles of riding that Yamaha I was wishing I had a better bike. By the time I had 2000 miles of riding on that Yamaha I was desperate for a better bike. I'm sure you'll feel the same way once you have a little more time on that Sportster. My Yamaha was a good bike for short rides around town, and IMO so is the Sportster. However, to me both are lacking when it comes to long ride comfort.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:43 AM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Nubz
what are these like on a long ride comfortable or no?
I've been coast to coast on my Wide Glide and routinely do 600-800 mile day rides on the weekends with no problems.

No Dyna is as comfortable as a dressed touring bike with air suspension, cruise control, etc. - but if you make the bike fit you, you can ride as far as you want without major discomfort.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Smitty79
Road Master

+1 on being great on long rides. I'm a pretty good sized dude, 6'0 and a few cheese burgers shy of 300lbs, and I ride my street bob all over the place and have no complaints about comfort.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you like the superglide go for it. The shipped weight on a 2010 SG is around 630 lbs. Im not sure about the 1200 sporty but thats only around 80-100 lbs heavier than the new 883's. With the low center of gravity & low seat height its not a big deal. Just be sure and take it easy in slow tight turns until you become familiar with it.

Quick Reply: Question About Dyna's