Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hanger Cable Lengths - Why so hard

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 AM
HarleyBobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape Hanger Cable Lengths - Why so hard

OK, I have searched on the site for weeks and found a lot of good info, and a lot of posts, on this topic. But, what I dont understand is, how can there not be a "standard" length of the cables when you change your handlebars. I would think that on an SB, if you go to 14, 16, 18" apes, is there not a magic number for the cable length you need?

I would think that there should be black and white answers to "Going from stock bars to 16" apes, what length cables?"

Can people who have put on 14, 16, 18" apes PLEASE post their cable lengths that they had to go with? I know there is a difference in mini ape height depending on the year, so adding the starting handlebar height would help.

Would love to get all the info and have a sticky done for people to refer to.
Or I could be asking for the world, IDK.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

There are many variables. For instance, the Wild1 chubby's I had previously were 36" wide, I went from mini-apes which are 10" rise, to 12.5" but 36 wide and needed 6" over stock cables. Some apes are narrow. Not as easy as just adding for height.
One easy way to figure out cable length is mock up with PVC pipe and measure. That way you can order BEFORE you start work.

Originally Posted by HarleyBobber

Can people who have put on 14, 16, 18" apes PLEASE post their cable lengths that they had to go with?
Also, some people have different ideas about what looks good for running their cables, I personally like mine to follow the lines of the bike, some run them straight from point A to point B.

Everyone is different.

Last edited by 8541hog; 10-24-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, baby...there ain't no easy way out. --Tom Petty

Old 10-24-2010, 10:37 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

14 are +6. 16 are +8. 18 are +10. There are many variables involved, but this is what I use.

Drew

The following users liked this post:
D Hutch (08-10-2021)
Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 PM
HarleyBobber
Cruiser

Hog, I guess the variables are too many to count. I guess when I get my bars I will mock those up and measure.
I guess there is "no easy way out"! Hahahaha
I guess I am going Up, but am going with Narrow apes, so might not need to extend by the total height difference.

Would be so nice to just have a chart, you know!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:15 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Hog, I guess the variables are too many to count. I guess when I get my bars I will mock those up and measure.
I guess there is "no easy way out"! Hahahaha
I guess I am going Up, but am going with Narrow apes, so might not need to extend by the total height difference.

Would be so nice to just have a chart, you know!
It would be handy, but then you probably wouldn't get a custom look. Never been a fan of one size fits all on something that is so obvious when you look at it.
The PVC pipe is real easy to fab and will give you the best results short of installing the bars and then measuring, that takes time if you have to order cables. If you have a shop nearby that actually stocks cables, then it is an easier choice. Too many only stock basic cables if any at all.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:20 PM
HarleyBobber
Cruiser

Yeah, I am a fan of a little "tighter" cables if you know what I mean. I am going to 18" Narrows, so I have been guessing at +6 cables. But I am going to get the bars (already ordered) and then have my brother hold them in place and see what I can come up with.

Then I guess I have to figure wiring too! hahah I freaking love tinkering in the garage!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:24 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

When you do your wiring, pull the seat and feed the slack up the frame to get the connectors out. Should be about 6-8" under the seat. Then pull it back under when done to get the connectors back in the frame nice and neat.
I prefer to cut and solder the wires, that way I can make sure the splice is hidden up inside the bars instead of having a lump exposed at the gooseneck. I think it just keeps it cleaner. I still have to clean up my wiring, was in a hurry last time.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:34 PM
HarleyBobber
Cruiser

Good info! Hell, if I have 6-8" under seat, may not have to splice, No?

Old 10-24-2010, 01:37 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Good info! Hell, if I have 6-8" under seat, may not have to splice, No?
If you don't splice, the connectors will be hanging out of the frame. Since you won't have any cable slack to pull it back into the frame.
HD only pulls it far enough back to hide the connectors.

Quick Reply: Ape Hanger Cable Lengths - Why so hard