Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What locktite to use on the rear sprocket bolts?

Old 12-26-2010, 12:31 PM
powerman1972
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default What locktite to use on the rear sprocket bolts?

Hello everybody, i have a couple of questions for anybody that has done work to there rear sprocket. I'm gettin ready to install a chrome sprocket cover to my 09 fatbob and need to know what locktite to use. I have a manual but it mentions nothing about rear sprocket installation. I asked my dealer and they say to use blue locktite and the instructions that came with the chrome sprocket hardware kit (new bolt kit) sais to use red locktite. What is everybody using for locktite when they mess with the rear sprocket and what torque are you guys using on the bolts? I've searched the forum and some people say 55 ft lbs on the bolts while the instructions with the bolt kit say tighten to 23 ft lbs and tighten an additional 60 degrees! Just a little confused between what the dealer sais, the instructions say, and some info i'm finding here on the forum. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i were you id just go with the stronger locktite and tighten them down in accordance with that the service manual says the torque value should be. its better for them to be sure they are in there vice leaving a small chance they could magically vibrate out. never messed with my sprocket before but it just seems like a good idea to go with the manual and the stronger locktite.

Old 12-26-2010, 12:41 PM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know about the torque and since that is an after market part, would go with what the manufacturer of the part says.

Loctite, the rule is normally blue for stuff, you might have to remove again, red for permanent. But either way if you use a torch and heat the bolt, even with red you can get it off. I think it's a judgement call but the folks that make it say red, and I have read of the regular sprocket bolts coming loose on Street Bobs.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:28 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There is only one harley-tite, and it's red Better safe than sorry.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:45 PM
odd_child4life@hotmail.com
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mimo
WORD! err... +1

Old 12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 709 Likes on 326 Posts

I never use red on any bolt that threads into aluminum. Such as hubs, cases, trees, etc. blue will suffice on just about everything else.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Blue is sufficient for pulley bolts.
The proper torque for the bolts IS 23+60°. Youre asking for trouble if you use book torque unless youre riding a Sporty or have a Right Side Drive

Old 12-26-2010, 03:49 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Red loctite, and the -08 service manuals says 55-65ft/lbs... no intermediate step. Always use new bolts.

So... which HD instruction is correct? If it is torqued according to the service manual, and 'you are asking for trouble'... I would think that it's the MoCo that "is asking for trouble".

Besides.... 23ftlbs +60deg... is not a torque value.... that's "snug plus just over 1/4 turn".

I'm just coming down on the fact there's two different instructions.... not you kk6pg.

Last edited by archergodwin; 12-26-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:14 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mimo
I disagree, blue is for stuff you may need to remove at some latter time and is enough to hold anything from loosing on its own. If something did not need to be removed later they would not have used a bolt and simply welded it. A heat gun is enough to melt locktite to make removal easier.

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-26-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:31 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Red is for permanent and does not seal the threads from contamination and it is possible to damage the threads as someone else noted. Torching the sprocket bolts will most likely burn off the paint on your sprocket or discolor a chrome one and to get down to the thread locker would require quite a bit of heat, geez.

Blue locks the threads and also seals them to keep out moisture etc. keeping the bolts from corroding. My '07 H-D Manual says 55 to 65 ft lb torque. I would not use an aftermarket chrome bolt set for the rear sprocket. I personally would not use chromed bolts, use new OEM and get chrome caps if chrome is a necessity.
CB

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 12-26-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What locktite to use on the rear sprocket bolts?