Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced neck ignition with rocker switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 02:00 AM
worstpirate
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced neck ignition with rocker switch

I have disconnected my ignition switch wiring and hooked it up to a rocker switch. I wasn't sure if I should hook up both the ignition and the accessory wire, and didn't find a lot of conclusive evidence in the wiring diagram or by searching the forum (maybe my search skills are not the greatest?). So I wanted to post what I found here in the hopes that maybe it will help someone else.

If you are replacing the ignition wiring with a rocker switch/toggle switch be sure to hook up the solid red (battery) to the input on the switch and wire up the accessory (acc) and ignition (ign) wires to the output.

If you are interested, I left the ignition switch in the neck as it can also be used as a fork lock. I wasn't interested in shaving the key and leaving it on and just wiring in a kill switch. I wanted to do it cleanly and just completely remove the key-ignition functionality. The switch itself is a washdown rocker switch from McMaster-Carr. If it is good enough for a helicopter, it is good enough for my bike.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 AM
mud
muderator
Received 8,739 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by worstpirate
I have disconnected my ignition switch wiring and hooked it up to a rocker switch. I wasn't sure if I should hook up both the ignition and the accessory wire, and didn't find a lot of conclusive evidence in the wiring diagram or by searching the forum (maybe my search skills are not the greatest?). So I wanted to post what I found here in the hopes that maybe it will help someone else.

If you are replacing the ignition wiring with a rocker switch/toggle switch be sure to hook up the solid red (battery) to the input on the switch and wire up the accessory (acc) and ignition (ign) wires to the output.

If you are interested, I left the ignition switch in the neck as it can also be used as a fork lock. I wasn't interested in shaving the key and leaving it on and just wiring in a kill switch. I wanted to do it cleanly and just completely remove the key-ignition functionality. The switch itself is a washdown rocker switch from McMaster-Carr. If it is good enough for a helicopter, it is good enough for my bike.
good thinking pirate.

do you have the mcm part # for the helicopter rocker??