Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Load eq.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
biketroll
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load eq.

I put some led turns on and wanted to know what are you guys running for load eq. My bike has moco security if that makes a diff.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:12 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

on mine i wire in resisters i get from radio shack they are like 2 bucks for 10... you can find resister charts online that will tell you what kind ot get

Old 03-10-2011, 01:17 PM
biketroll
Tourer

Joe do you just wire them in line.? and do they get hot.?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM
DYJ
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm much more mechanican than electrical... so I paid the 36 bucks for a plug in Badlander one. It was a 90 second install... and half that was reading the instructions. Worth it in my opinion

Old 03-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by biketroll
Joe do you just wire them in line.? and do they get hot.?
If it's a resistive load equalizer it gets hot. It takes an active component like the Badlands to stay cool. I run the Badlands Illuminator that combines an active load equalizer with a run-brake-turn module.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM
JRK5892
Banned

no they do not get hot yes you run them inline with the power line, it just reduces the flow to the led

Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by JRK5892
no they do not get hot yes you run them inline with the power line, it just reduces the flow to the led

Sorry Joe, but that's not how I understand the circuit to work. Adding a series resistor to the LED will only serve to limit the current to the turn signal. In order to prevent the signals from flashing quickly you need to add a parallel resistor.

The TSM/TSSM measures the current drawn by the turn signal to determine if a lamp has failed (less than expected current draw) and alerts the rider by rapidly flashing the signals. Replacing the stock incandescent bulb with a LED module dramatically reduces the current draw, hence the need for a load equalizer. Cheaper solutions, like the Harley load equalizer use a resistor (passive device) in parallel with the turn signal LEDs to fool the TSM/TSSM by drawing more current. Unfortunately, passing the current through the parallel resistor generates heat. If you have not properly attached the load equalizer to the frame (heat sink) the resistor can actually burn out if the flashers are left on for too long. The best way to avoid this is to use an active (semiconductor based) load equalizer that provides the same function without dissipating nearly as much heat.

{flame suit ON}

Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 PM
JRK5892
Banned

i do not set mine up for hyper flash... i like that on led turn sigs makes em easier to see... mine is to ensure that the load does not blow the light, have always done it this way with no issues... hummmm may have to look it up to see
thanks fro the tip!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a Badlands lll on my Dyna and it worked great.

I bought one from biketronics for my Street Glide. I had a biketronics run/turn/brake module on the Dyna and they offer a lifetime warranty so went with them.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM
biketroll
Tourer

Can you get the badlander just as an eq without the run/brake set up, my turns are in the brake light.

Quick Reply: Load eq.