Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deltran Battery Tender Plus Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:12 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deltran Battery Tender Plus Question

This past week, as I always do when not riding, I had my Deltran Battery Tender Plus hooked up to my 2007 FXDC Super Glide Custom. Yesterday morning, before I went for a 200 mile ride, I noted that the Battery Tender Plus was showing a solid GREEN indicator, indicating that the battery was fully charged. I went on the 200 mile ride. Bike started fine over a dozen times during the ride.

I come home after the 200 mile ride. Hook up the Deltran Battery Tender Plus like I always do. The indicator showed solid red, which it normally does, before going to blinking green after about 10-15 minutes and then solid green when fully charged. That was yesterday.

Today, at 2pm, about 20 hours after hooking up the Battery Tender Plus, I went out to the bike to check on something. The Battery Tender Plus was showing an indicator of solid RED. The Battery Tender Plus' connections to the battery were tight, the 7.5A inline fuse on the Battery Tender Plus connection harness was fine, the battery terminals were clean, all connections were fine - but it appears that the Battery Tender Plus cannot charge my battery. When I started the bike, it cranked as if the battery were low. I ran the bike for a minute, shut it down, re-started it, and the battery cranked stronger than on the initial cranking.

Is this a battery problem? Or a Battery Tender Plus Problem? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited by rdondes; 03-20-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be prepared to buy a battery soon.

One way to eliminate the tender as suspect, is to hook it to a different battery.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't know but I have an extra touring battery. My battery went dead and like an *** I just bought a new one. Turns out old one was good and I left my heated grips on. Anyway it's been on my tender since.. 100 percent good and ready to go. 60 bucks it's yours. Pm me if interested.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,780 Likes on 18,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I'd be prepared to buy a battery soon.

One way to eliminate the tender as suspect, is to hook it to a different battery.
+2 .... Check it out on another battery. Have you looked at the Battery Tender Owners manual for some helpful hints? Just a thought!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Ps I don't know if mine is the same size as yours......call dealer.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:29 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Just hooked the Deltran Battery Tender Plus to my car battery - which I know is a good battery. If the red light doesn't go to blinking green within 60 minutes than I'll know that the Battery Tender Plus has gone dinky-dau.

Richard

Last edited by rdondes; 03-20-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by rdondes
I'll try the tender on my car battery.
Richard,

If you have a multi meter you could check the Deltran's output and the load current when connected to your battery. Next to that: using the multi meter you could check the battery's output as well.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:38 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Richard,

If you have a multi meter you could check the Deltran's output and the load current when connected to your battery. Next to that: using the multi meter you could check the battery's output as well.

Thanks...too bad I don't have a multi meter. Have never needed one. I'll see how the Deltran Battery Tender does now while hooked up to my car.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

While the meter's out, do a continuity check at all connections.

Edit to add: No meter? C'mon! They're $10 @ Radio Shack.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:03 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by lo-rider
While the meter's out, do a continuity check at all connections.

Edit to add: No meter? C'mon! They're $10 @ Radio Shack.
You're right. Even though I've been out of work for 2 years, and am in survival mode, a multi-meter is in fact only $10 at Radio Shack.

I now have the Deltran Battery Tender Plus hooked up to my car battery (1999 Ford Crown Vic) and after 30 minutes the blinking green light (indicating 80% charge) has not come on. I think the Tender is bad. However, I'll wait another hour to see if the blinking green light comes on. My car battery is only 3 months old and starts the car no problem.

Quick Reply: Deltran Battery Tender Plus Question