Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Batwing wind management

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 08:53 PM
jodog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Batwing wind management

I like the look of the batwing. Does anyone have a report on how the wind flows around it? I put a stock harley windshield on my Fat Bob and the buffeting on the helment was intense. I thought maybe a batwing would be better but I'd like to hear from those who have them before I plunk down the coin. I have a full face helmet and with my windshield the wind flows up my body to the helmet and from both sides of the shield and meets at the helmet.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My eGlide had the bat wing fairing. It's pretty good for keeping the wind off you.

It was too hot in the summer time.. but nice when temps got below 40 F.

There was still some wind coming up at me from below the fairing. They make air deflectors for that...

The thing is.. I have to question whether someone that is super concerned about the wind is really cut out for riding a motorcycle? Also, if you are intent on getting this bat wing fairing, why not trade your ride for an eGlide?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 PM
jodog
Intermediate
Default It's not the wind, it's the blurred vision

I don't have a wind problem per se, I typically ride without any windshield at all. For a long ride, say a 700 mile day or a 2500 mile trip, I thought it would be nice to have something to knock the wind off to reduce tiredness at day's end. The buffeting I am experiencing is enough to keep you from being able to hold your head still, or focus on the road well. It really beats your head up. Someone is going to ask about the helmet I wear about now. It's an hjc modular.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:21 PM
tinker1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jodog
I don't have a wind problem per se, I typically ride without any windshield at all. For a long ride, say a 700 mile day or a 2500 mile trip, I thought it would be nice to have something to knock the wind off to reduce tiredness at day's end. The buffeting I am experiencing is enough to keep you from being able to hold your head still, or focus on the road well. It really beats your head up. Someone is going to ask about the helmet I wear about now. It's an hjc modular.
I ride long distance quite a lot, and I agree with you regarding the fatigue factor. I use a smaller windshield and am quite happy with it. A fairing, like the bat wing, is much better than a small windshield in heavy rain or hail and in the intense cold - but other than that, for me, the smaller windshield is fine.

What you can and can't tolerate as far as wind buffeting is a personal preference. So go with what you like and enjoy your trip.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, you will also get buffeting from a fairing on a Dyna.

You will be better to get the bottom deflectors for a the windshielf, or the fairing.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The factory shield for the Dyna has to be one of the worse designs out there. At speeds above 55-60 mph it is virtually impossible to see because your head is shaking so bad. I found that the sport shield that Harley sells for the Rocker in their catalog not only looks better but because it's curved it is actually usable. I do ride with a ful face helmet and this shield/helmet combo is perfect for me. I get just enough wind hitting the to of the helmet to provide air circulation from the vents yet it is rock solid with no buffeting all the way to as fast as the bike will go. My commute is 25 miles of highway riding and this combo works great.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Fixintu
Cruiser

Reviving this post to jump in with the same question but more specifically, has anyone here actually put a batwing on their Fat Bob and found the buffeting to be significantly LESS than with the HD windshield with lowers? The buffeting comes from over the top and around the sides of the HD shield. I think the shield is plenty big enough but sits too far from the rider to be 100% effective. And NO, I am not going to trade in on a SG or EG. I love my FB but wouldn't mind losing the buffeting at highway speeds. So who can chime in that has actually mounted a batwing?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:42 PM
RadioBob
Road Captain

Would also like to know swell about the wind protection from someone that has ridden a dyna with a batwing

Old 05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I prefer my batwing for looks and airflow. I believe this is the second season I've ridden with the Memphis Shades and it's much better than before:

Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I think I've seen on here (it has been a while) where some Dyna riders adapted the Front Fork Air Baffle made for the Touring models ....

The adaptation involves cutting off the upright section (along the red line in the photo below) and drilling a hole centered just aft of the leading edge (represented by the red dot) ... I am not certain, but, I also seem to recall that either edge may need to be radiused to clear the fork tubes (might depend on which front end, narrow-, mid- or wide-glide) ....

I have not ridden a bike with this baffle ... so, have no opinion to offer ... thought I'd put it out there for anyone interested ....

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Batwing wind management-chrome-front-fork-air-baffle.jpg   Dyna Batwing wind management-chrome-front-fork-air-baffle-alteration.jpg  

Quick Reply: Dyna Batwing wind management