Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner Seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:41 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sundowner Seat

I ran a thread here last week asking for input on comfortable 2up seats. I got a lot of responses, but the one that seemed to get the most recommendations was the Sundowner.

I always lurk in the Dyna classifieds, and when a Sundowner showed up for a decent price, I bought it (thanks husky, pleasure doing business with you.)

It arrived today and I put it on the bike and rode it to the liquor store and grocery store (about a 20 mile round trip.) I like it. I had no problem with the seating position on the stock seat, other than the bars were almost a stretch to reach. Very comfortable. And the passenger seat is wider and seems to have way more padding than the stocker did.

The Sundowner seems to move me forward just a little, and sit me up just a little higher. I immediately noticed that because the top of the windshield dropped in my line of sight. It feels like it puts me in a more upright position, almost like riding a dual sport. That should be better on my back in the long haul.

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam, and can still flatfoot the bike. If I were shorter, the Sundowner probably wouldn't be a good choice, unless the bike were lowered. The only negative I have found so far is appearance. From some angles it looks great, but viewed from a quarter at the rear, it looks obscenely fat in the area between the driver and passenger area. Screw it. I' more about function than form.

I have a trip planned to Panama City Beach next week (300+ miles) and I'll know a lot more about the seat after that trip. Thanks for all the info and recommendations on the previous seat thread.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, good on the butt, I'm just not a fan of where it positions me.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 PM
thrill74
Account Retired
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole point of the Sundowner is comfort. It is practically unmatched in that area. Yes, it is HUGE. But my wife doesn't care as long as she can ride the trip with me in comfort. That goes for me too. Though, I do get the usual comments on other clubs' runs parked next to their chops and solo seats. "You could make 3 seats out of that thing" kind of comments. Who cares...I can ride more than 300 miles and still be good for another 100 with that seat.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:01 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,848 Likes on 1,216 Posts

You bought a Sundowner? Man that's an ugly seat.......but comfortable.
I sent mine to Mean City to put a double layer of the memory foam in it for even more comfort. I later took one inch of the foam out to get it to a lower seating height. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam. If I was to do it again I'd do the memory foam but have him build it one inch lower. I can ride all day on mine.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

A seat makes a world of difference. Glad it worked out for you! It's hard taking a chance on an item based on advice from a bulletin board!

My Corbin seats make all the difference for me; I've gone over 800 mile days (in a row) on mine and I can't imagine doing half that on the stock seat! Ride, and be safe, and ENJOY!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 PM
fortygeek
Cruiser

Big fan of the Sundowner here. Went thru 3 seats before settling on the Sundowner. That, and the backrest, make it possible to do all-day runs.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Jllyfsh
Tourer

I just bought that seat for my wide glide. My wife wouldn't ride with me on the pillion. Im 5'6" and am worried about the extra ride height but I guess if my wife is on the back the bike will sit lower. Oh well, I pick it up in a few days to see how it is.

nice to hear the good reviews on it

Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Deadwood
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldMike
You bought a Sundowner? Man that's an ugly seat.......but comfortable.
Too true, it is one ugly seat. I have one for the long trips and they are magic. When using a sissy bar I turn the luggage around and use it as a back rest and I could ride all day.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one too. Great highway seat. Put the detach windshield on and I'm gone for the weekend!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 AM
caaraa
Banned

Yeah, good on the butt