Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle choking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Rollerskates
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle choking?

Hello all. Not sure quite how to describe this but I will give it my best shot. I just had v&h shortshots, roland sands intake, and v&h fuel pak put onto my 04 super glide. The first 150 miles or so it ran perfectly but the last hundred miles or so I started to notice that sometimes when I give it some more throttle it almost chokes or stutters from time to time. I plan on getting it checked out soon but I just wanted some possible ideas into what could be the cause. If not I will just wait until next week.

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Rpm

Sounds like you are letting the rpm get down too low before adding throttle. If you're below 2000rpm, you're ******* the motor. you need to be 2500-3000 before you roll on power.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:24 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the fuel pack set up correctly?...........Just because it ran good for a short while does not constitute the fact that the fuel management system is not causing problems.

Without knowing fuel air ratio (air fuel ratio) throughout the RPM range that a dyno will (should) show you, it will always be a shot in the dark.

After all it ran good before the changes right?

Last edited by SteveO-ll; 07-14-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rollerskates
Hello all. Not sure quite how to describe this but I will give it my best shot. I just had v&h shortshots, roland sands intake, and v&h fuel pak put onto my 04 super glide. The first 150 miles or so it ran perfectly but the last hundred miles or so I started to notice that sometimes when I give it some more throttle it almost chokes or stutters from time to time. I plan on getting it checked out soon but I just wanted some possible ideas into what could be the cause. If not I will just wait until next week.

Thanks.
Does it pull harder at 3/4 throttle than it does at full? If so, it's running lean.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:30 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Trouble with the Fuelpak is that the O2 sensors are left in place - unlike a PC. This means that any adjustment in the closed loop area (low revs, cruising i.e. 95% of riding) tends to get trimmed out by the stock ECU reading the O2 sensors as too rich.

Could be that initially the Fuelpak was adding fuel but the bike has now adjusted back to too lean at off-idle and causing your problems. Most likely its made much worse by the Shortshots which are, to be honest, a bit crap, especially at low revs.

You could try adding some Xieds to richen the closed loop.