Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer, Odometer, Idle help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:53 PM
burgess
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer, Odometer, Idle help

I searched through the forums and didn't find anything that matches my problem, I hope I'm not asking a question that's been answered.

The bike in question is a 2008 Dyna Super Glide, all stock except the seat and rear pegs.

All of this started at the same time (last weekend), so I am pretty sure it's all related. I changed my rear brake pads Friday evening, took it for a test ride and all was well. I took off Saturday morning, after a thunderstorm went through the night before and my speedometer and odometer (no tach on the bike) have both stopped working. When I shift up to 6th gear the display does not indicate that I am in 6th gear, and when I slow down from any gear other than first, the bike wants to die. After it dies, and I restart the bike it will idle fine until I shift up and back down.

One post did indicate that if the odometer does not change then the rider has "lost data" but I am not sure what that means. Is it a bad computer, a bad fuse (I have visually inspected the fuses and they look fine) or something else?

This bike is my only means of transportation (other than a bicycle), and I can't afford to destroy it, should I stop riding until I can fix the problem, or am I okay just restarting it and living with the problem until I can afford to get it fixed?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Burgess

Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

First run a check for any DTCs for clues. One possible explanation for the symptoms you are seeing could be the speed sensor switch on the tranny - might need repair or replacement. Looking at the tranny from the exh side, directly under the starter, you will see a 3-wire switch secured by an allen bolt. Check to see that it hasn't loosened or that any wire hasn't become cut/ damaged. Another remote possibility is the speedo connector under the console- maybe it wiggled itself loose. Other than the mentioned, not sure what else you can do. Hope you get it worked out.

~

Old 08-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Have you made sure your battery connections are tight? They tend to get loose since the connections are attached to soft lead, least that how mine are and mine get loose. Low voltage will cause all kinds of crazy things.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:52 AM
topcat54
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading your post on the 6th gear light not lighting, that is what happened to my 2011 superglide custom, on top of that I was getting codes b1006 and B1007 and P563, Harley shop checked everything from voltage reg to battery. After about an hour and a half, they told me that my speedometer was bad and had to be replaced(warranty). So you might want to check that speedo.